PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The suprise teams so far??

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsOwl

Rookie
Reaction score
I was getting pretty bored with the 'Pats Suck' threads so I thought id ask about the other 31 teams instead. Am here in England, so mostly all I have to go on is teams records (that and crappy Sky Sports analysis- Dolphins the Superbowl darkhorse!).
Who has suprised you so far? Good and bad? From what I've seen the Seahawks look unbeatable at home, not sure about away at the moment though. But I think the Vikings have been a big suprise so far, almost going
3-0. A bit annoying seen as I had that as a certain W for the Pats a couple of weeks ago.
And i reckon the Bucs have to be the suprise crap team thus far. 0-3 ouch! Now Pats pessimists, if you think we're in trouble 2-1 losing to the Broncos, then just thank god youre not from Tampa Bay. Im sure they'd gladly swap places.
Who has impressed / disappointed you so far?

The Saints are 3-0. That's pretty surprising, as are the 1-2 Panthers and the 3-0 Ravens.

My fantasy team is 2-1. That's a miracle.

Saints at 3 and 0.
Vikes at 2 and 1.
Panthers at 1 and 2.

Those are the most suprising teams to me.

Philly at 2-1. They are looking good after all the turmoil last year.

Saints easily take the cake for the Most Surprising Team thus far. 3-0 for the first time in their history, but then again, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.. they do have Reggie Bush.

For the bad team, it would have to be Panthers. They were my NFC pick to go to the Superbowl considering the talents they have... but it hasn't worked out for them yet. Steve Smith is truly a one man show and without him the Panthers won't make it very far..

Saints for sure. I'm so happy Saban didn't go after Brees. It's still early though.

I agree with the Saints being 3 -0
Jets 2-1
Panthers 1-2
Buccaneers 0-3

I haven't been HUGEly surprised by the Saints, I thought they looked quite respectable at times last season despite all the upheaval they had to deal with, and then they replaced Brooks with Brees. Then again, the performance last night, particularly on defense was surprising.

The Patriots sure surprised me on Sunday night, does that count?

Anyway, whereabouts in Sheffield are you, Owl? I lived there for a bit, still miss it. Watched Superbowl 38 there come to think of it.

no doubt imho

New Orleans Saints

they demolished ATL too

I wasn't surprised that the Saints won last night, but I was surprised at the manner in which they won. They looked awesome. It was really inspiring to see.

I hope they keep it up. As for surprises in the "worse than thought" category, I'll go with Carolina as well, although I will note that they are another team that sometimes starts slowly.

yeah, I kind of started this thread without checking last nights scores first. Totally forgot about the Saints, oops! Nevermind. will be interesting to see how long they can keep it going.
OldEngland- am from South Sheffield, little village called Dronfield. Probably never heard of it. But i got a load of mates near Hillsborough so I usually watch Wednesday lose and then spend most of my time up that area. Where are you from? Whered you watch the SB? Am just wondering what bars show NFL for future reference. Im sure i could rope some of my mates to get into NFL if beer was also supplied.

PatsOwl said:
Im sure i could rope some of my mates to get into NFL if beer was also supplied.
Did someone say beer? That must be like the latest Bud Light commercial (not that it truly qualifies as beer) where the guys are sliding down a supposed firemen's pole whenever a bottle is opened.

Back on topic:

Early Winning Records: Saints, Jets, Vikings (up until I saw them in preseason in Dallas - very good defense).
Improved Losers: San Francisco
Early Losing Records: Tampa Bay, Carolina, Washington

No Surprise: Pittsburgh, Miami, Baltimore, Arizona, Detroit

Surprises that I am not surprised by:

Philly and the Jets - I thought both of these teams would be better than most thought due to getting some injured people back. I actually wrote on several boards that the Jets would win more games that Miami. Got laughed out of the room in most occasions.

Miami - this was unbelievably predictable. I am still shocked at how oblivious pundits were to the fraudelnet nature of the season ending streak.

Giants and Pitt - another one that I was drilled on was predicting a fall for both, although I did think that Pitt would still win the Noth because...

Non-surprises that I am surprised by

Cincy and Balt - I didn't think either of these teams would be 3-0, let along both of them.

Green Bay - for whatever reason, I thought they might be a little more scrappy than they have been.

Jacksonville - a team that I thought was going to take a big tumble that seemingly has improved. Without Smith I figured this offense would be bad enough to possibly fall under .500.

Actual surprise teams

KC - sure, injuries are a factor, but they are almost out of it already.

Saints - same as everyone.

Buffalo - I didn't expect them to be as feisty as they are. A few breaks here and there and they are sitting pretty at 3-0.

Last edited:
PatsOwl said:
OldEngland- am from South Sheffield, little village called Dronfield. Probably never heard of it. But i got a load of mates near Hillsborough so I usually watch Wednesday lose and then spend most of my time up that area. Where are you from? Whered you watch the SB? Am just wondering what bars show NFL for future reference. Im sure i could rope some of my mates to get into NFL if beer was also supplied.

I've heard of Dronfield, actually looked at a house or two there when we were moving up to Sheffield (from Cambridge). Ended up renting in the town centre though.

I'm afraid I just watched the Superbowl on Sky Sports in what was by then my ex-girlfriend's flat. Can't help on bars that might show NFL games.

Too early to tell who the real "surprise" teams will be by the end of the season. As BB has often said, you don't know what you really have until around Week Six. But here goes.

Surprised me in the sense that they've won or lost one or more games I didn't think they would? Saints, Panthers, Patriots (I really thought we'd be 3--0 now).

Surprised me in the sense that they're probably better or worse than I thought they would be? Eagles and Colts (better). Redskins (worse).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down