Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Supreme Court, voter fraud, and requiring ID to vote.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +568 / 6 / -2

This will be interesting.

JOHN FUND ON THE TRAIL

Voter-Fraud Showdown

How can anyone object to asking for ID?

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 12:01 a.m. EST

Supporters and critics of Indiana's law requiring voters to show a photo ID at the polls square off in oral arguments before the Supreme Court today. The heated rhetoric surrounding the case lays bare the ideological conflict of visions raging over efforts to improve election integrity.

Supporters say photo ID laws simply extend rules that require everyone to show such ID to travel, enter federal office buildings or pick up a government check. An honor system for voting, in their view, invites potential fraud. That's because many voting rolls are stuffed with the names of dead people and duplicate registrations--as recent scandals in Washington state and Missouri involving the activist group ACORN attest.

Opponents say photo ID laws block poor, minority and elderly voters who lack ID from voting, and all in the name of combating a largely mythical problem of voter fraud.

continued here:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/diary/?id=110011102

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  2. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Get ready, because if this law passes, we'll be treated to a barrage of disenfranchisement claims.

3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +568 / 6 / -2

I can understand the concerns, but this is the 21st century, and I think it's about time we had people present an ID.

4. STFarmy

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Trust me I want it to pass. I have a feeling this could be like 2000 and 2004 - a highly divided country with elections coming in very close. We have no room for fraud from either side.

5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +287 / 11 / -10

It's reasonable to require ID, but asking an elderly person who doesn't drive or travel out of the country to get a photo ID will only serve to depress voting. Asking for ID (even two kinds) is reasonable, but insisting on photo ID is not.

6. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

You are right, asking for ID would be a good start, I've never been asked for any kind of ID when I've gone to vote. I have always just given my name, gotten checked off, and gone in.

7. Patters

Ratings:
    +287 / 11 / -10

Frankly, given the disinterest in voting and the penalties for voting fraud, I can't see many people actually pretending to be someone dead. That said, it would be a good idea to make our elections as honest as reasonably possible. I still think the bigger issue is with electronic voting. Let's do away with technology and return to the voting box. While that might allow some local cheating, it doesn't create the possibility of cheating built into the software or wireless cheating.

8. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

What about the people who vote by absentee ballot in one state and vote in person in another state common amonfg dems from NY who retire in FL.

The dead are enrolled in St Loiuis and Philly and Chi on a regular basis. If I can show ID to cash a check I can show ID to vote.

Truth the dems rely on fraud, bring on the voter id!

9. Patters

Ratings:
    +287 / 11 / -10

At any rate, with the pathetic crop of Republican candidates and the chronic infighting in their ranks, they'll need all the help they can get. The kind of fraud they committed in Florida and Ohio might not be enough this time around. It's interesting how in Iowa and NH, vastly more Dems than Repubs are voting. In addition, the NYT had an article that said 1,000,000 legal immigrants have applied for citizenship in part to get the vote. If it doesn't get considerable support from women, blacks, Latinos, and gays, the Republican Party could soon be history. Hopefully that will happen in 2008.

10. STFarmy

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

You think a one party system wold be better?

11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

It already is a one-party system!:eat3: :eat1: :woohoo:
    One Nation!
    One Party!

12. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Ah yes, there is some infighting in the Republican party. That, however, is preferable to having to agree with everything in the perty platform or risk getting kicked out of the party like the Dems do it! See you later Joe Lieberman!

13. Patters

Ratings:
    +287 / 11 / -10

Lieberman wasn't kicked out. He was voted out. There's a big difference there. And he's not the first person to face such a situation. Teddy Roosevelt and John Lindsay are two Republicans who I believe faced a similar phenomenon. In fact, if you look at the Republicans, they've pretty much eliminated all their liberals. The Democratic Party I think is far more diverse, including in ideology, than the Republican Party. Democrats like Ben Nelson, Kent Conrad, and Max Baucus are to the right of Lieberman.

14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

They wouldn't let Gov Casey speak at the dem convention.

BTW the proff about Fraud is about who opposes attempts to reform the system.

15. STFarmy

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Haha, you know, I made that post and then went and did dishes. I was like "you know what, either Wistah or Holy Diver is going to tell me that there's already a one party system." Haha thanks for proving me right. And yes, my life is so boring that I think about other people's posts on this board while I'm doing other things.

16. Patters

Ratings:
    +287 / 11 / -10

Who spoke on a woman's right to choose and gay rights at the Republican National Convention? Also, pro-life Democrats, such as Senator Breaux, were allowed to speak, but were not given a prime time role.

17. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +102 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

Yeah ok Patters. Lets see you have the 2 front runners on the democrat side, 1 running on the fact he is black and another running on the fact she has a ****, but the Republican candidates are pathetic. :rofl:

18. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

Christine Todd Whitman...