PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Strength coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
frazpt said:
I appreciate your point of view from continueing analysis of your program, but again stretching you hammy won't do it. It is most often injuried in a shortened position of which, lengthening it will do nothing but pose more injury. I needs to be training in the transition position (cutting) which they do. I know first hand, I worked for a consultant to the Pats rehab/conditioning program.

Thanks for your input -- I find it very interesting.

So, my impression isn't right? I have watched a lot of very developed athletes have major problems doing yoga and assumed that there was a kind of trade-off -- that highly conditioned athletes with big muscles tend to have overcompressed ligaments, hence greater susceptibility to injuries on twists and stretches.

Also, there is a thread on page 2 about Harrison playing without his knee brace. Is that a good idea?

frazpt said:
First, not to be mean, but don't accuse coaches of not knowing what their doing unless you are better educated on the subject. Most hamstring injuries occur when the knee is flexed, and there is a change of postion. That means the hamstring is actually on slack. So what would a flexibility program do for a hamstring that is shortened and not stretched to the extreme. The strain actually occurs because the muscle is trying to decelerate the knee as it flexes and then extend during the cut. The purpose of plyometrics (explosion exercises) is to prepare the proprioception of the muscle to accept the load of the body weight and then recoil on the cut. This trains the body to react in the situation. Lifting weights and stretching will actually cause more hamstring strains. I could discuss this for awhile, and bore you, but the trainers and coaches know what they are doing. Injuries will occur no matter what, and if you look at the Strength coaches track record in the example of Willie McGuinest. It seems his program straightened out this player that was out every year with a hamstring or adductor strain.
Keep the information coming, this is the type of quality reply that makes this forum an essential read. Besides, hamstring is about the only thing I haven't screwed up, I'd like to be prepared!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back