Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Station Nightclub Fire

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by weswelker#83, Feb 9, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

The Station nightclub fire on the evening of Thursday, February 20, 2003, was the fourth-deadliest nightclub fire in U.S. history, killing 100 people and injuring more than 200.
    The fire, from its inception, was caught on videotape by cameraman Brian Butler for WPRI-TV of Providence.

Video:
    http://theync.com/video/m022607fire.wmv

More info :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Station_nightclub_fire

Wow, that was fast, i ve never seen this video before !
    May this be a lesson for myself to check all exits before something goes wrong and avoid large crowds.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  2. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I remember very vividly the night that happened. It was early in the morning around 2 - 3 AM when they broke with the story and showed the video you linked to. I watched it as they showed it again and again. It was just too horrific to imagine. As I watched it I was sure a friend of mine, who we always give a hard time to because he was a Great White fan, was there. He hardly ever missed a Great White show. Turns out an early morning meeting the next day saved him. It was the only reason he wasn't there. Even after all these years it's still so hard to watch. I seem to recall even more footage of the people lying stacked up in the doorway as people were trying to pull them out but couldn't budge them. To think they were trapped in that inferno. I couldn't imagine a worse death.

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

Affected many of us, I had just come back from a trip and got in late.. was living in Maine at the time.. on the way back heard the news and the total just kept rising.. very sad.. drive by the site all the time, wonder why someone has not bought the land and turned it into a memorial.

The folks who allowed this to happen got off with a pat on the wrist, nothing can bring those who died back or those who were maimed better, but their sentences were a joke.

4. Patti37

Patti37 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It was a horrific event. I was fixed to the TV screen the next morning. I could not believe it was actually happening.

The stories of those who were badly burned and survived are sad. How hard is it to move on after what they experienced?

I go to many shows of Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes. AFter the Station fire I have made it a point to see if there are sprinkles and to make sure I know where the exits are...I do that in other locations also.

5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,993 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

A fire that never had to happen. There were no new laws for fire codes but several Rhode Island fire inspectors were enforcing their codes more stingently in the 1980's. Most notably was the Pawtucket, RI fire department.

The were strictly enforcing ... @15 years before the Station fire the code at that time. they were making businesses remove uneeded cloth, curtains, using fire retardeent paint, making business remove all flamable styrofoam and materials like it. Making visits and going back in a few weeks time to make sure all exits were open and lit ... all that stuff.

At the time .... the businesses .. mostly bars, pubs & night clubs were furious ... hindsight proves they were wrong. The West Warwick fire inspector(s) never went to trial ... never convicted of anything ... and I still do not understand how that is possible. Public officials have a duty to protect the public ... and to deal with the ignorant and dumb business owners with a stiff hand and with stiff fines ... not done there. I wonder how well they sleep at night.

6. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

A dude I went to high school with died in that fire.

7. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Yep, and many victims relatives were enraged about the verdict.

Source :
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003282325_club30.html

[​IMG]

Report of the Technical Investigation of The Station Nightclub Fire
    http://www.nist.gov/public_affairs/releases/Vol_I_NCSTAR2.pdf

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008