PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Solution to the Pats problems is simple...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
RUN that football. Dillon and Maroney form one of the best RB tandems in the league. And I don't think I am exaggerating here.

Obviously the Pats are a bit weak in the WR department so they should emphasize their strengths. IMO they can be the Falcons of the AFC. They have the line and the runningbacks to make a run first offense work.

And Brady is already skilled at disguising the play action pass. That should open things up well for the offense once the running game is established.

Until Branch walks through that door, and he may well not. I think this is a reasonable plan to win some football games. I'm sure when the Pats staff look over the film they will see that. And we're going to see more of that thunder and lightning against the Jets.

Let me also add if we protect Brady all 4 quarters...it may help.

VJCPatriot said:
And we're going to see more of that thunder and lightning against the Jets.

2004 rushing - 114 yds/game
2005 rushing - 94 yds/game

Today - 183 yards.

Lately, we've run all over the Jets (146 and 151 in 2005). If this game is any indication of the strength of our rushing attack, and the NYJ-Titans game is any indications of Mangini's D (Chris Brown averaged 4.0), we are in for a treat next week.

R

njpatsfan said:
2004 rushing - 114 yds/game
2005 rushing - 94 yds/game

Today - 183 yards.

Lately, we've run all over the Jets (146 and 151 in 2005). If this game is any indication of the strength of our rushing attack, and the NYJ-Titans game is any indications of Mangini's D (Chris Brown averaged 4.0), we are in for a treat next week.

R

That's what I like to hear

We are 3rd in the NFL in team rushing...
wait till we have a credible passing game....

This week was just a bad combination of facing a good secondary with a good pass rush and our new WR not being ready yet.

Fast forward a few weeks when Gabriel and Jackson will hopefully be in. Add in Caldwell and Brown. Against teams knowing we can, and will, run. The passing game will wake up soon.

We will be a better team when we have an adequate passing team. Yes, we will see more shock and awe against the jets.

No doubt that the pats should have success running vs. the jest. They do need, however, to attempt some medium/long passes also, presuming Reche Caldwell can get open, so their safeties don't crowd the box on every play. The jest had only 2 sacks on the immobile Kerry Collins and his revamped OL, so our pass protection should improve, including - I hope - Matt Light.

I have one request, though: NO MORE EMPTY BACKFIELD FORMATIONS. Thank you.

Sounds good to me, but that won't work in the long run. Defenses will "cheat" on the run because they will zero respect for the pass. Someone pointed out the Panthers as an example. Whenever their deep threat, Smith, has been out, their team has suffered and their run game hasn't pulled through. Maybe the duo of Maroney/Dillon is better than what the Panthers have/had. But I think it's a plain as the nose on your face - a truly successful team has close to a balanced attack. The Pats need a legit receiver bad. Could it be Gabriel? Maybe. Could it be Jackson? Maybe. Could it be Branch? Definitely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey