PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Sky is Not Falling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wish that the less sanguine among us could tone down the disproportionate sense of outrage and scorn a bit.

One can be pessimistic about the team's prospects without declaring things "inexcusable" or "unacceptable." You can be disappointed by the team's performance without declaring it "pathetic" and casting aspersions on the team's heart and character (which are never here nor there anyway.)

It's one thing to have criticisms and doubts, but the amount of anger and indignation heaped on a team that's given us an unprecedented decade of consistent excellence is more than a little ridiculous.

For example, since Rodney Harrison, the team has not gotten much return on investment at the safety position, and this has been a big part of the problem for the Pats' defenses in recent years. Merriweather and Chung did not develop as we'd hoped, and our free agent acquisitions have failed to pan out.

That is a fair criticism of the team. It doesn't mean that BB or the front office is incompetent. Player acquisition is always more hit than miss, and on the whole they do a better job of it than any other team. It also doesn't make Merriweather or Chung punks who don't care about football or even just "pathetic" football players -- they may just be better suited for another scheme, and even if not, they're still better than 99.99% of the people who'd want their jobs.

I understand wanting to vent when the Pats lose, it's possible to be angry with being angry at someone. Learning that distinction is generally considered part of developing from adolescence to adulthood, and not too much to expect from each other, isn't it?

The difference is most people don't question the return on investment on the safety position, they start to question if the game has past Belichick by or Belichick wasted a year of Brady because they cut James Sanders and Brandon Meriweather. There seems to be far too little rational criticism.

Same thing happened with Brian Waters this offseason. Many of the same people killed Belichick for insulting Waters and destroying the offensive line when indications are the Pats made a real faith effort to get him back in and Waters would rather retire than be away from his family.

Belichick and the Patriots are not perfect. He makes mistakes. That said, he does make individual mistakes with personnel, but he rarely if ever makes the mistakes that stops this team from being a contender. And even when he makes the mistakes, he tends to figure out how to minimize those mistakes or correct them all together.

All you have to do is look at the Jets. They are paying for and will pay for boneheaded personnel mistakes from Tannebaum. Belichick would never put this team in that position. Many coaches and GMs do.

The problem on this board is overreaction to everything. I am guilty of it at times myself. The negativity tends to be more dramatic. Just look at any game thread when the defense gives up some yards on a a drive.

The problem on this board is the Rat trolls who incite the negative Nancies every time the least bit of adversity hits the press. A prime example was this afternoon, when call after call came in to EEI from "Pats" fans who wanted to talk exclusively about the three drives that were three and out and nothing else and why that was real real bad....I logged onto Gang Green and actually caught one moron bragging about how he just pulled the wool over "those chowds eyes" at EEI, meaning Big O and Holley...this is a daily routine for these jealous, obsessed green turds, yet the Boston media seems to have no clue they are being hoodwinked by these "callers" on a daily basis.

Tonight, one of these morons tried to explain how the Texans actually sandbagged the game last night so they can surprise the Pats in the playoffs..when Mikey asked how this could be when the Texans player were calling this the biggest game in franchise history...the guy suddenly got a bad connection and all crackly on his cell...yeah, right.

The problem on this board is overreaction to everything. I am guilty of it at times myself. The negativity tends to be more dramatic. Just look at any game thread when the defense gives up some yards on a a drive.

Game threads are horrific freak shows. If you go into one, you have only yourself to blame.

I didn't say it here, but I was at the Jets game in Gillette and my private thoughts when McCourty fumbled the KO in the last minute leading to the tie were that the 2012 Patriots sucked. Sucked. Defense couldn't stop anyone (Sanchez fer crikey!) and the vaunted offense was MIA when just one 1st down was needed to run out the clock. How wrong I was. But I have learned to keep my negative thoughts of the moment private for furthur reconsideration.

Yes, that's the point!

Some people use a message board to share their enthusiasm, celebrate wins and, yes, console one another when the team loses. Others seem to glory in the doubt and defeatism.

Realism is fine and nervousness too (no one was sweating more than I was last night when the Patriots were up by a measly three touchdowns) but when someone comes on the board a couple of hours after the Patriots had utterly outplayed the Colts to complain at the "genius" (*sarcasm*) of Bill Belichick because Gronkowski suffered an unlikely injury it's clear that this has nothing to do with objectively assessing the ups and downs of the team and everything to do with not being happy unless they have something to moan about.

:eek:

Despite the "contributions" of Deuce Awry, this may be The Best Thread Ever. :eek:

It may cost me an entire week ~ and thousands of Lives!! ~ to laud this Thread and its Posters to the extent that they deserve.

But first: I'm going to go to Work the OverNight...after I watch the last 30 Minutes of Unforgiven...for the 14th Time. :cool:

deserve ain't got nothin' to do with it...

eastwood.jpg

Game threads are horrific freak shows. If you go into one, you have only yourself to blame.
I don't bother with the game day thread any longer, like you said a real horror story. One three and out and bradys a bum and the pats suck.

The problem on this board is the Rat trolls who incite the negative Nancies every time the least bit of adversity hits the press. A prime example was this afternoon, when call after call came in to EEI from "Pats" fans who wanted to talk exclusively about the three drives that were three and out and nothing else and why that was real real bad....I logged onto Gang Green and actually caught one moron bragging about how he just pulled the wool over "those chowds eyes" at EEI, meaning Big O and Holley...this is a daily routine for these jealous, obsessed green turds, yet the Boston media seems to have no clue they are being hoodwinked by these "callers" on a daily basis.

Tonight, one of these morons tried to explain how the Texans actually sandbagged the game last night so they can surprise the Pats in the playoffs..when Mikey asked how this could be when the Texans player were calling this the biggest game in franchise history...the guy suddenly got a bad connection and all crackly on his cell...yeah, right.

Well, you gotta be really, really stupid if Mike Adams can out wit you. That guy would bring a spoon to a gun fight.

We are so spoiled. I love it!

Yes, that's the point!

Some people use a message board to share their enthusiasm, celebrate wins and, yes, console one another when the team loses. Others seem to glory in the doubt and defeatism.

Realism is fine and nervousness too (no one was sweating more than I was last night when the Patriots were up by a measly three touchdowns) but when someone comes on the board a couple of hours after the Patriots had utterly outplayed the Colts to complain at the "genius" (*sarcasm*) of Bill Belichick because Gronkowski suffered an unlikely injury it's clear that this has nothing to do with objectively assessing the ups and downs of the team and everything to do with not being happy unless they have something to moan about.

You started off real well and then went down-hill the rest of the way.

You know one of the smartest things anyone ever told me is that in any sentence you speak; if you use the words ALWAYS or NEVER you are already WRONG. ('not being happy unless' is tantamount / OP seems to wants to tar some folks that way).

The MAIN POINT of this thread and my MAIN OBJECTION to it; is that it seems to be the epitome of the LORD's PROPRIETY PATROL group. You know the self-appointed board-nazi type who want to tell everyone else not only how they can express themselves, but even how to think.

I seriously doubt that any REAL POSTER (rather then a JESTER POSER) posts constant negativity and is always a Debbie DOWNER. Let me clue you all in on something: Every poster is physically capable of writing a negative post in ONE THREAD; and post a laudatory one IN ANOTHER, within 30 seconds.

(putting on my rose-colored memory glasses).....When I first joined this board back in 2000 (coming over from ESPN pages because they were full of a bunch of back-biting egomaniacs); this was like coming to a FAMILY FORUM page. We even had a crazy uncle (nem). And despite disagreements folks and the mods kept things within certain boundaries, newbies felt welcome joining, the technical discussion level was high in threads, but there was room for all types of posts and threads, even a rant if you had a bad day.

Now the number of times I see posters (often guys with join dates post 2007 or later who have higher post counts than I because they post a lot) who call out for the mods to DELETE THIS THREAD or to tell someone else they CAN'T EXPRESS AN OPINION seems to be RISING DRAMATICALLY HERE.

So, if someone wants to come here and feel like he is sitting down at the corner pub on a barstool with his 2 best friends and moan a little about the pats safety inadequacies in one minute (one thread); and talk about Stallworths beautiful catch and run in the next minute (another thread/post); LET's CUT THEM SOME SLACK.

THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN PEOPLE!!!!!!!

You know one of the smartest things anyone ever told me is that in any sentence you speak; if you use the words ALWAYS or NEVER you are already WRONG. ('not being happy unless' is tantamount / OP seems to wants to tar some folks that way).

The MAIN POINT of this thread and my MAIN OBJECTION to it; is that it seems to be the epitome of the LORD's PROPRIETY PATROL group. You know the self-appointed board-nazi type who want to tell everyone else not only how they can express themselves, but even how to think.

I seriously doubt that any REAL POSTER (rather then a JESTER POSER) posts constant negativity and is always a Debbie DOWNER. Let me clue you all in on something: Every poster is physically capable of writing a negative post in ONE THREAD; and post a laudatory one IN ANOTHER, within 30 seconds.

(putting on my rose-colored memory glasses).....When I first joined this board back in 2000 (coming over from ESPN pages because they were full of a bunch of back-biting egomaniacs); this was like coming to a FAMILY FORUM page. We even had a crazy uncle (nem). And despite disagreements folks and the mods kept things within certain boundaries, newbies felt welcome joining, the technical discussion level was high in threads, but there was room for all types of posts and threads, even a rant if you had a bad day.

Now the number of times I see posters (often guys with join dates post 2007 or later who have higher post counts than I because they post a lot) who call out for the mods to DELETE THIS THREAD or to tell someone else they CAN'T EXPRESS AN OPINION seems to be RISING DRAMATICALLY HERE.

So, if someone wants to come here and feel like he is sitting down at the corner pub on a barstool with his 2 best friends and moan a little about the pats safety inadequacies in one minute (one thread); and talk about Stallworths beautiful catch and run in the next minute (another thread/post); LET's CUT THEM SOME SLACK.

This is the best post evah!! Sums up my sentiments exactly.

Down with the board Nazi's. And the bored Nazi's.

This here is the issue. Setting unreasonable expectations. For many everyone of the last 8 seasons are failures, which is ridiculous.

Its unreasonable to finish the usual 8-10 game win streak with say, idk, maybe just 3 playoff wins?

Beating the Giants team most people beat is unreasonable? Why even pay high ticket prices then if we can't expect the team to play how it can.

Can we get a clearer translation of that one please?

Here ya go, Pal: ;)

I understand wanting to vent when the Pats lose, it's possible to be angry with(out) being angry at someone. Learning that distinction is generally considered part of developing from adolescence to adulthood, and not too much to expect from each other, isn't it?

LET's CUT THEM SOME SLACK.

Yes it is. And all those trolls and bashers took away the fun for a lot of people on the board because they mercilessly trashed the team.

You don't have to read the thread if it's not fun for you. I gave up reading the game day threads ages ago because all of the trolls and bashers. I got tired of every dropped pass being commented on with 3 "Welker sucks" or "thank god we didn't give him a long term deal", or every completed pass with a comment like "McCourty can't cover my Grandma". It wears you down. THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN PEOPLE!!!!!! LET'S CUT THEM SOME SLACK!

So if you don't like it you might consider:

1. Don't keep coming back to a thread that irritates you.
2. Put people that irritate you on ignore.
3. Take a mental health break from the board.

I've had to do all of those at times this season because of the effect of guys like you. Thanks for making the board a fun experience for me.

Last edited:

Can't you people just enjoy an awesome win?

By 'calling out' the negative people you're just keeping the cycle going and distracting us all from what is important. (Hint: It's not words on an internet forum by a random poster.)

And to be fair, I prefer negativity to 'I told you so!'

I commented as a newcomer that this board sometimes offers more whining about the whining than it does actual whining. This thread is another example.

I think every fan has a right to offer their opinion here, no matter who does or doesn't like them. The same goes for booing the players at the games. They are all players in a game that we pay to see for enjoyment. Save the hero worship for someone more worthy.

Can we get a clearer translation of that one please?

He can't give his "chicken little" opinion because he would be called out by the "homers" for complaining that we didn't win. When will it ever end?

Jesus some of you take this crap way too seriously.

A couple of suggestions.

1. Try to restrain the upper-case bold shouting until you've got something positive to contribute.

2. Some people are sensitive to being called Nazis.

Thanks.

Well, the issue, as you frame it, starts by deciding what's unreasonable. That's certainly an area with room for dispute but, again, it's reasonable to have lofty expectations for this Patriots team.

Personally, I think making the playoffs and reasonably competing for a superbowl are as lofty as anyone should expect. Anything more is just unreasonable. As has been noted, especially by you, there are lots of successful teams out there and there are many different ways to win a superbowl. The Patriots don't have some god given right to it, where if they fail its because Belichick/Brady/Welker/Secondary/etc sucked or were chokers. You can still be a good team and not win the superbowl. You can still have a successful season and not win the superbowl.

Some people seem so fixated on winning the superbowl that they simply can't enjoy the season. Mayo's examples of quotes after the Jets/Bills close games are case in point. They can't enjoy the win because the team has flaws and it jeopardizes the Patriots chances to win the superbowl! They fail to realize that its a process. How they play in September, October, November or even December doesn't really mean much other than the W or the L. Houston, Atlanta, Chicago and Baltimore fans can attest to that.

What makes it even more laughable is that people are suddenly gung ho after this blow out win, but it means just as much as the ugly overtime Jets win or the close Bills win. They had a good game plan against Houston, matched up well and executed. If people think they are now suddenly some unrelenting Juggernaut that is more likely to win the superbowl than not then they are only just fooling themselves.

Having said that, the standards here are high. And they should be. I will extremely disappointed if the Pats don't win a Super Bowl this year. Whether it will make the season a "failure" is maybe a pointless exercise in the semantics of the thing. But the Pats have been crowned by too many people the last couple of Decembers. Remember 45-3?

In the first few sentences you say that you will be "extremely disappointed" if the Pats don't win the superbowl. In the last you point out how silly that really is. I really don't understand why your expectations are set so high. There are lots of good quarterbacks, coaches and teams in this league. All of them have relatively equal shots of getting to and winning the superbowl, which means that individually, none have great odds to do so. The Pats, like all teams, have their flaws. The Pats, like all teams, get injuries to key players. The Pats, like all teams, fail to execute at times. The Pats, like all teams, sometimes just don't have the ball bounce their way. It's happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes