Welcome to PatsFans.com

The situation in Iraq is grave and deteriorating.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Dec 6, 2006.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +430 / 12 / -26

This is taken from the opening lines of the ISG Executive Summary, which was released this AM. This is not news to many of us who have watched this debacle from afar.. As it is being said by this prestigious group, it may gain more credibility.

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/iraq_study_group_report.pdf

There is no guarantee for success in Iraq. The situation in
    Baghdad and several provinces is dire. Saddam Hussein has
    been removed from power and the Iraqi people have a democratically
    elected government that is broadly representative of
    Iraq’s population, yet the government is not adequately advancing
    national reconciliation, providing basic security, or delivering
    essential services. The level of violence is high and
    growing. There is great suffering, and the daily lives of many
    Iraqis show little or no improvement. Pessimism is pervasive.

2. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It's sickening, absolutely sickening. It's beyond comprehension: why does the Iraqi Study Group give comfort to our enemies? Do they really hate America that badly? And what kind of name is that, anyway? Sounds like a bunch of high school kids getting ready for mid-term exams. What's next, the Iraqi Breakfast Club?

3. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

If they are not with Bush on this, they must be islamofascist sympathizers and terrorist appeasers.

Surely, our collective memory isn't so short to have forgotten these accusations thrown at 70% of the american people by you on the far whacked out right wing.

4. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Maybe the ISG and incoming Sec Def Gates are simply reporting the bad news and ignoring all the good things going on in Iraq. How could they do that? Ignoring the sweets and flowers? The freshly painted schools. The new hospitals and libraries?

How "liberal" of them.

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +430 / 12 / -26

Tony Blair should be counted also, he is turning into a weak willed, maine stream media influenced leader.

6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +580 / 6 / -2

What a shock. There is no guarantee of success in Iraq. Man, thank god we had a study done. Who'd of come to that conclussion otherwise?

I think the anti-war crowd is incapable of looking at this war objectively. I guess when you add Bush hate, to war hate, you get ignorance. I loved it when that other study came out and said that the war in Iraq was helping terrorists recruit. What a surprise that was eh?

For those of you who may not have known already, the left of center political pundits, and the greater MSM, have undermined the war in Iraq since Baghdad fell. The lack of a working strategy by King George has enabled that undermining movement to succeed. It's kinda sad that we broadcast our millitary plans on the front page for all our enemies to see.

7. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Thus, we should..................?

In discussing the war in Iraq, we always hear about the anti-war crowd. How people who are opposed to the war are undermining the effort. Any country that has a democracy has the freedom to voice their opinion and that opinion has always had a bearing on the war. It is why George Washington knew we didn't have to beat the British.
    Look at the war objectively? Maybe if I was given a reason why we are fighting this war then I could look at the other point of view. Lets' review why we are fighting this war. In Bush's first weeks of his administration, he asks his cabinet members to find a way to invade Iraq. The administration declares Saddam has weapons of mass destruction. Of course there are no weapons and there was pressure to the CIA to produce this evidence. Bush and Cheney have implied many times a connection between 9/11 and Saddam in Iraq. Bush uses this war for political purposes. He proclaims "Mission Accomplished" in an elaborate presentation. Fact: 3,000 troops are dead, only 139 of them before "Mission Accomplished". We are told by the Bush Administration the cost of war would be approx. 100-200 billion (White House economic advisor David Lindsey). Paul Wolfowitz claimed Iraq's oil profits would cover the costs. Currently, a Nobel Laureate economist and Columbia professor and Harvard Professor estimate $1 trillion cost of the war (from Lou Dobbs column). After not finding WMD, we began to hear that we are fighting to give the Iraq's their freedom. Today, its a civil war in Iraq where an average of 120 Iraq's die daily. Keep in mind, candidate Bush stated he would never enter a war without an exit strategy. What is even more disturbing and what most supporters of this war don't seem to get; we invaded a country to spread democracy (at least that's been another reason why we invaded Iraq). We are losing the war (Gates). The most disastrous policy in the history of the United States based on a President's agenda which is relatively unclear. Now, being part of the anti-war crowd, what am I supposed to be objective about and why shouldn't I dislike Bush?

8. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +534 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

The question isn't the war, it's how to unf*ck the Middle East. We tried building a Democracy right in the middle - that's not going well. The Middle East turns out to be a bigger cess pool than we though.

What to do now ? I have no idea. Some of those people are like Hitler with a nuke. If we just left the Middle East, other than buying oil, I am confident they would take over all of Europe within a generation - am I wrong ?

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +580 / 6 / -2

The bottom line is, do we pull out and bring everybody home, or do we figure out a way to make it work. I think intelligent, objective people, understand that bringing everyone home is not an option that makes sense. Even the Dems know that, which is why they didn't campaign on a "bring them home" policy.

10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +720 / 2 / -9

They should start to withdraw today, tonight, we tried to help the murdering bastards and it should be plain to see for the whole world that these savages don't want our help, let them return to their old ways of beheading each other and keeping their women in the back seat with their faces covered.

Release Saddam, return him to power, he knows how to run that country, he is one of them.

Bring the troops home now, put them on the Mexican Border, we need them there, we are being Invaded by an Illegal Alien Army who will soon take over the whole southwest, it has already happened in Miami.

Impeach Pelosi, she just promoted a man that wants to keep the Iraqi War going, he wants more troops sent to Iraq.

STOP THE WAR THE HELL WITH IRAQ AND IT'S SAVAGE PEOPLE TAKE CARE OF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ON THE MEXICAN BORDER PROTECT THEM FROM THE DRUG DEALER AND THE ILLEGAL ALIEN GANG BANGERS.

GOD SAVE AMERICA GOD SAVE OUR FLAG F-CK IRAQ.