Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Single Most Accurate Indicator of Labor Market Health

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Jul 9, 2012.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +114 / 7 / -10

A case where 1 picture is worth a thousand words, the 4 million jobs 'created' is a joke being played on the American people.

The Single Most Accurate Indicator of Labor Market Health | Mercatus

[​IMG]

No recovery, Employment to population ratio at 30 year lows (note pre 70's when women weren't in the workforce in large numbers). Unlike other recessions where the ratio would spike down in this case no recovery. WIth the CBO projecting ObamaTaxCare costing the economy 1 million jobs the picture will get worse.
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

And I thought it was the Lexus LFA, base price 375K, 552 HP... saw two of these Saturday... quite nice.

[​IMG]
  3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 1 / -10

While buying such an automobile is a waste of money to me, people have the right to buy them and I do not begrudge that one iota.

But I bet there are some dopes who think no one should be able to buy them. But just think of the sales taxes these buyers have to pay on such a purchase! In MA, it would be $18,750!

Whaddaya think Darryl?
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 1 / -10

So we're back at 1985 levels of employment?

I agree 100% that this is in fact the only accurate method to measure the health of the US labor market.

I think this is what our federal gov't should be showing the American people.

Does anyone have any idea why they are NOT showing America this chart?
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  5. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +114 / 7 / -10

Ya know PR even this chart mat be over optimistic about how bad the current situation is, we know that there are millions of people who want full time employment who are only working part time, they will show up as employed on this chart.

That said this chart cuts through the political spin to the reality of this job market.
  6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Do you think a poll commissioned by the Mercatus Center, which is chaired by Charles Koch may be biased???? Or minimally have a specific answer in mind????
  7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +114 / 7 / -10

What are you talking about? These numbers are from the Dept of Labor.

If you like the same chart was posted by a Harvard Prof of Economics on his blog.....

Trying to hide the failure of Obama with spin?
  8. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Still chalking this all up to Obama, I see.

Did I mention growth is over because the world can't function the same with $80 oil?

I almost hope Romney wins so nothing changes, and you can finally STFU with your partisan rationale for everything. But wait, you'll never change the method of how you explain everything in your head.
  9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

You need to show your sources and stop all the spin...
  10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +114 / 7 / -10

Normally the economy recovers along with the labor participation in this case they have not. It is not unreasonable to see the unusual to tie this anomaly to the policies of the current administration.
  11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +114 / 7 / -10

I linked the source if yo had read you would see the data for the table is from the Dept of Labor.

You apparently can't deal with the failures of Obama.
  12. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

13. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +296 / 6 / -5

Yes, because financial crises of this magnitude are not normal. This has very little to do with the current administration, as it would be occurring under a hypothetical McCain administration were he elected.

Not to mention the fact that Mitt Rmoney has precisely zero plan to create jobs in the near term.
  14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +114 / 7 / -10

Obama promised that the unemployment number wouldn't go over 8%. Were he and his team so stupid that they didn't realize what had happened in 2008 when they made thise statements in 2009.

The problems in 2008 were no worse than the problems in the late 70's and early 80's when the interest rate shot up to 20% and we had comparable unemployment, perhaps you are too young to remember.

The bottom line however is that his policies have't done squat to fiz the problem and most likely made things worse.
  16. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The problem is that your source is not the latest Andy Capp strip, so Darryl has a hard time recognizing it as valid.
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +114 / 7 / -10

The chart I linked is the same but shows a longer period of time.

Try examining things in detail instead of knee jerk reactions.

Obama has done a terrible job.
  18. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

... because he adheres to more of the same - neoclassical economic theory - just as you do.

McCain wouldn't be any better, because he's a cultist of finance just like every corporate president the past 32 years. And Romney is even worse toward that end - the guy you're rooting so hard for.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +114 / 7 / -10

Austrian School for me, missed you on the articles I posted about the new Shale oil finds and the pressure it is putting on oil prices due to the glut (of course acknowledged the effect on demand of the current economic situation). No peak oil for a few hundred years.
  20. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

lawl... yeah, I don't linger around here every day. Must have missed it. ... Oil rose again today. Just because it's 85 instead of 100 right now, the long term trend remains up, up , up... You get how this works, right?

Anyhow, your "articles." ... Was it by George Monbiot? Because it got destroyed.

If not, link it again. There's been a rash of "peak is nonsense" columns the past month or so, mostly harping on the Great American Frack Party to come, ignoring all known data and flow rate assessments. I'm sure it's painfully flawed, like all your cornucopian crap you find and scramble to post every third month or so pretending there's "nothing to see here."

Then I'll remind you how heavier, dirtier hydrocarbons will not maintain growth, and will not produce anywhere near the amounts needed to make up for dying existing capacity. Oh wait, I already did that, and you still don't get it.

As I've told you about a half dozen times now: "I can pretend I've found a quadrillion barrels of oil behind the moon... That says nothing of my capacity to bring it to market."

As to your school of choice for your soft-science worship for economics, zzz. They're all largely the same: Ultimately unfalsifiable nonsense. Because they all pretend more money buys more energy. Oops, doesn't work that way.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012