PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The simple story behind the entire "deflategate" controversy

Because they can sense which way the winds are blowing and are jumping ship.

Last edited:
I agree with the order of events and likelihood but I just want to add something, and this is not a 'new' point. Kensil/Colts committed themselves to the stance that air pressure manipulation leads to a competitive advantage. Consider the events that took place under this assumption, and you start to see the malice of their actions. Certainly not ignorance of science as the OP suggested, my only point of contention with the post.

Assuming the OP's order of events, and assuming Kensil/Colts believe air pressure to be an advantage of somewhat significant importance.

Are we really to believe the Colts were willing to bargain their chances at a Super Bowl by letting this whole issue sit in the background while Kensil ran a sting operation? It's more important the Patriots be caught than the Colts advance to the Super Bowl? This is not believable. Something must be wrong with our assumption. No amount of contempt for a franchise would cause a team to forfeit a fair playing field in a game that leads to the Super Bowl. No one should disagree with that.

So we must assume then, the Colts do not believe this to be a competitive advantage.

So what about Kensil? Mike Kensil believes the air pressure to be vital to fair play, but is ready to allow a half, perhaps a whole championship game to take place while one team could very well be playing at a disadvantage. This also is not believable.

But then where does that leave us? Kensil and the Colts both do not believe any competitive advantage related to air pressure. Both parties are ignorant of science as we all agree, so they are convinced the Patriots are tampering with the footballs, and therefore must be convinced that the Patriots do indeed believe there to be a competitive advantage in manipulating air pressure.

We must change our assumption now, because clearly Colts/Kensil do not believe any competitive advantage to be gained in manipulating air pressure.

Given this information leading into the championship game, what is the correct action to take? Kensil should know the media will question the integrity of the game if he runs a sting operation allowing a lopsided game to play, even in part. Even though he and the Colts agree there is no competitive advantage, the media and non-Patriots fans will certainly jump on this. To me there is clear malice on part of Kensil and the Colts to attack another franchise over an issue they do not believe to be relevant. Kensil takes sole responsibility for gambling the integrity of the game(the perception of, not the actual integrity) in an anti-Patriot conspiracy. Kensil was fortunate the game was not won by a narrow margin, once it came to light science explained the deflated footballs, or the perception would have been much different.

Kensil's willingness to gamble on the integrity(perception of) of the game, even though he personally didn't believe it to be a competitive issue, or he did believe it to be a competitive issue but valued attacking the Patriots franchise over competitive fairness in a championship game are both terminating offenses in my book. I believe the Colt's can take the stance that they never believed this to be a competitive issue and left it in Kensil's hands, likely per his request, if they have any hard proof Kensil asked them to lay low they may get out of this unscathed, but shamed by the rest of the NFL organizations privately.

IMO - things operated under two different agendas (maybe three).

The Colts pulled this out as an attempt to disrupt the Pats during the game. You see this in hockey where a coach might call for an illegal stick on the other team. The refs measure the stick and if it not in spec, the offending player gets a penalty. The Colts wanted to blunt the Pats momentum.

The NFL front office wanted to nail the Pats and jumped on although I think they went way beyond what the Colts coaches on the sideline were expecting.

After the game and with their butts all sore and hurting, Grigson and Irsay went to the press in a fit of petty anger. This meshed completely with what the NFL front office was hatching and off we go.

Oh god why did you bump this thread? Reading the OP and then my own posts again is unbelievably painful. I truly believed that everything was going to not only be ok, but actually be worth the frustration in the end when we got complete exoneration and the NFL and Colts got embarrassed. I fully agreed with the OPs predictions on what the final result would be.

It was only back at the end of April but it feels like years ago.

You would think after all the long months that Goodell would get this over and done with. Anyone with half an ounce of sense knows it was a set-up. So why take weeks for a decision? Both the N.F.L. and Goodell have been made a laughing stock by the whole incident, and as far as i can see the decision he is going to have to make in the end (unless he wants to go to court) is to withdraw all punishment from both Brady and the team. Surely the longer he takes to come to this decision the worse he makes it for both himself and the N.F.L.
To Goodell :- You have been suckered in to making rash decisions by a bunch of Patriot hater's. Time to hold your hands up withdraw punishment and say sorry (o.k. i can't see you doing the last one...) Above all lets put this thing to rest and move on.............Tom needs relax time before his season of revenge and his 5th S.B. ring.

A draft pick swap would be justified.

In the end though, I think the NFL will cut the Colts a break because it was a scheme driven more by ignorance and paranoia more than by malice.

Exactly, because ignorance and paranoia are what the Colts and the NFL do best.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back