PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Silver Lining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Cliche

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Bill Belichick, a man who is obviously a student of football history, would have cemented his place in the annals of football history with a three-peat.

Having not accomplished this, he will now have to stay on with the organization longer to cement his dynasty...having not scaled the mountain completely.

In other words...do you think he would be more inclined to retire earlier if he had won 3 Superbowls in a row?

PS. Does Mike Tice remind you of Will Smith's partner in the opening of Men In Black II. The guy who starts to cry when he realizes "K" is about to zap him with the "flashy thingy"...a real numb nut.

Captain Cliche said:
Bill Belichick would have cemented his place in the annals...

That sounds very painful. I don't think BB is into that sort of thing, but I guess its OK by me if he is.

Captain Cliche said:
Bill Belichick, a man who is obviously a student of football history, would have cemented his place in the annals of football history with a three-peat.

Having not accomplished this, he will now have to stay on with the organization longer to cement his dynasty...having not scaled the mountain completely.

In other words...do you think he would be more inclined to retire earlier if he had won 3 Superbowls in a row?

Beware! There was another thread about taking a positive aspect out of the loss and the originator got slammed. But as to your idea, who knows what's in BB's mind? I hope he stays until he's 65, that's a good retirement age. When I listen to a lot of the other NFL coaches, like Cowher, Billick, Tice, yes, now Mangini, or Parcells, I cringe. Belichick is head and shoulders above the rest right now.

JoeSixPat said:
That sounds very painful. I don't think BB is into that sort of thing, but I guess its OK by me if he is.

HAHA! Hilarious JSP!! There is something to be said for continuity and I think that is what BB's legacy will bear out. I don't think he is done winning SB's just yet. If he quits today, his place in history is already cemented with two SB rings as a DC and three more as a HC. Plus, "his heart will go on" with the numerous coaches he has worked with and who have adopted his style.

JoeSixPat said:
:rocker:

I don't even want to think of it.

I think we can all rest easy knowing the New England Patriots will still be playing football in September, no matter how bad this loss stings. Honestly, our expectations have been raised so high that a game like this would be a shock to the system, but it was just a bad game, that's all.

Let's just be happy this happened in a road divisional game rather than a home AFCCG or Super Bowl. The Pats WILL be back in '06!!!

Even more than Belichick, I think Brady will have his best season yet next year. He has to be so upset with himself for throwing that pick. It was such a humbling experience for him, which at this point in his career he can only benefit from.

I look for the 2006 version of the Patriots to be the best ever. Imagine if they could only get through a season without major injuries like alot of teams do every year.

They have 6 picks in the first 4 rounds of a supposedly loaded with talent draft and should be returning 4 or 5 starters from injury that were out for the stretch run.

This is only the beginning.

Last edited:
Fanfrom1960 said:
Beware! There was another thread about taking a positive aspect out of the loss and the originator got slammed. But as to your idea, who knows what's in BB's mind? I hope he stays until he's 65, that's a good retirement age. When I listen to a lot of the other NFL coaches, like Cowher, Billick, Tice, yes, now Mangini, or Parcells, I cringe. Belichick is head and shoulders above the rest right now.

I am one who slammed that thread because of the lack of discernment from the post. It was illogical at best. This thread attempts to make a point why BB should be here a while. Don't know if BB thinks that way or not. Can't say because we don't know him. We all hope he stays for a long time and changes the lombardi trophy to the bb trophy!!!!!!!!!

mcdonut16 said:
Even more than Belichick, I think Brady will have his best season yet next year. He has to be so upset with himself for throwing that pick. It was such a humbling experience for him, which at this point in his career he can only benefit from.

I look for the 2006 version of the Patriots to be the best ever. Imagine if they could only get through a season without major injuries like alot of teams do every year.

First, i hope Joe6Pat noticed both the "n"s. That's "annals".

I am confident that it will turn out to be a positive comeuppance for Tommy Terrif. I had been worried how he would handle Too Much Too Soon. The entire team, actually, might appear as former world champeens with a chip on their shoulder.

Three years in a row now ... we have suffered a "100-year flood" of injuries. This year, i GUARANTEE we won't lose any more starter-games ... than the Colts, f'rinstance, do.

flutie2phelan said:
First, i hope Joe6Pat noticed both the "n"s. That's "annals".
Joe is very perceptive and sensitive, there can be little doubt he took Captain Cliche's obvious distress for BB's predicament into consideration and chose not to chastise CC for the finger stutter while typing out that line. Really, you have to give CC a great deal of credit for his composure under the circumstances, I'm still in a state of shock! :eek:

PATSNUTme said:
:rocker:

I don't even want to think of it.

This is not an appropriate forum for such discussion, but it would explain his recent divorce. Perhaps Captain Cliche is onto something.

JoeSixPat said:
This is not an appropriate forum for such discussion, but it would explain his recent divorce. Perhaps Captain Cliche is onto something.

Uhhhhhh........:eek:

Actually Box, CC spelled and used that word properly! From Dictionary.com:

an·nals (
abreve.gif
n
prime.gif
schwa.gif
lz)
pl.n.
  1. A chronological record of the events of successive years.
  2. A descriptive account or record; a history: “the short and simple annals of the poor†(Thomas Gray).
  3. A periodical journal in which the records and reports of a learned field are compiled.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Joe is very perceptive and sensitive, there can be little doubt he took Captain Cliche's obvious distress for BB's predicament into consideration and chose not to chastise CC for the finger stutter while typing out that line. Really, you have to give CC a great deal of credit for his composure under the circumstances, I'm still in a state of shock! :eek:

Some things you just have to let go...like water off a duck's back.

Besides, there's no "us" in annals.

If we are discussing Belichick's retirement, we should be discussing whether he will retire early at 62, retire at 65 or stay until older like Bowden and Paterno.

Seriously, I have always hoped that he would stay at least for the 10 years of the decade, or at least until serious rebuilding is needed with 2-3 years out of the playoffs.

Last edited:
Bill's Girl said:

an·nals (
abreve.gif
n
prime.gif
schwa.gif
lz)
pl.n.
  2. A descriptive account or record; a history: “the short and simple annals of the poor†(Thomas Gray).
  3. A periodical journal in which the records and reports of a learned field are compiled.
Cement would hurt there too! :rolleyes:

Bill's Girl said:

an·nals (
abreve.gif
n
prime.gif
schwa.gif
lz)
pl.n.

Thank you Ms B's Girl...it sounds so much less condesending when someone else hands out the explanation...

and "CC"...WOW...I have my own initials...I HAVE ARRIVED...I HAVE "IT"

Box_O_Rocks said:
Cement would hurt there too! :rolleyes:

Carton of Stones, maybe I should have used the term "Super Glue" instead of "cement"...butt do we really want to head up that road.

Digger44 said:
We all hope he stays for a long time and changes the lombardi trophy to the bb trophy!!!!!!!!!

I respect your coach, but...shake off that dream. :p ;)

Captain Cliche said:
Carton of Stones, maybe I should have used the term "Super Glue" instead of "cement"...butt do we really want to head up that road.
:rofl:

Thanks for not using 'Highway'! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back