PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The silver lining

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 Pats 7-5, won SuperBowl.
2005 Steelers 7-5 won SuperBowl
2007 Giants 8-4 but finished 10-6 won SuperBowl

I think the Pats still win the East, win home playoff game and then who knows what kind of momentum they might be riding.

I understand that optimism here, but all three of those teams were marching towards the playoffs getting better and better each week.

The current pats are losing winnable games, and leaders saying they feel sometimes they don't fight hard enough...

That isn't a team that is marching towards playoff success.

You miss the gaping hole in your argument and that is those teams had a pass rush and a physical defense that made plays down the stretch. I hope this one suddenly morphs into that, but at this point, there's zero indication that will happen. Zero.

And that doesn't even account for the myriad of problems on the offense. This is not a SB team, no matter how much we want it to be so. Trotting out examples of teams that did it before doesn't count for squat other than merely highlighting the weaknesses of this one.

Your premise was that you are what you are after week 13. I merely showed you 3 recent examples of teams that managed to turn around their seasons and win the SuperBowl. I'm guessing those teams that I noted had major problems or they wouldn't have had such mediocre records.

:rofl: Who would replace him? Lou Holtz? Bill Parcells?

lol how about pete carroll lol

back in the carroll days i would have been happy for a 7-5 record with a one game lead on the jets and fish

but with BB this is the worst year ever and peopel are calling for he's head lol

oh how spoiled we have been lol

You are what your record says you are. One unlucky or weird loss, you can chalk it up accordingly. But 5 losses, with absolutely *DISMAL* 2nd half play, and an atrocious road record, and what we have with this team is a slightly above average squad. That's it. That's not awful, and most teams would love to be 7-5 and leading their division right now. But for us, being spoiled with all the Pats' success this decade, this is unacceptable. When Chad Henne passes for 335 yds, and you get outscored 13-0 down the stretch, with two 4th quarter turnovers, you simply are not a good team.

The Pats have a chance over the next four games to right the ship somewhat, but I ask all you Pats fans out there: do you have any confidence whatsoever right now that they can stop even a decent (never mind great) offense in the 4th quarter with the game on the line? I sure don't.
I could argue the New England Patriots are playing the worst football of the season especially if you consider the Saints blowout and the last minute loss to the Miami Dolphins without Ronnie Brown.

I understand that optimism here, but all three of those teams were marching towards the playoffs getting better and better each week.

The Giants were 4-4 over last 8 and 2-2 over last 4. They were not marching anywhere. Just sayin.

The Giants were 4-4 over last 8 and 2-2 over last 4. They were not marching anywhere. Just sayin.

One of which was heartbreaking toe to toe battle with the un-stopable unbeaten jugernaughts of the season.

I'm not 100% familiar with their season, but from what I remember, those Giants were a tough team even in their losses.

In out losses, we are soft. You can say we almost beat the colts, but we werent tough, we weren't hitting hard, we weren't grinding anything out... and that is evident in the lack of resolve to close out games.

One of which was heartbreaking toe to toe battle with the un-stopable unbeaten jugernaughts of the season.

I'm not 100% familiar with their season, but from what I remember, those Giants were a tough team even in their losses.

In out losses, we are soft. You can say we almost beat the colts, but we werent tough, we weren't hitting hard, we weren't grinding anything out... and that is evident in the lack of resolve to close out games.
Don't want to turn this into a Giants thread but it does point out that teams CAN turn soft play around. In 5 of the Giants 6 losses they gave up 45,35,31,41 and 38 points in the other they lost 21-10. By all accounts they were soft in the regular season and turned it around in the playoffs.

I was optimistic after last week, but losing a game like this , well my attitude whatever happens happens now.. But we could be looking at a major collapse here , that we have never seen before...

The Dolphins always play us like it's the Super Bowl in Miami. Even when the defense was great, they made Miami quarterbacks look like Joe Montana. The problem with the red zone INT, while a horrible pass, was the play call. First down, why not a play action instead of a predictable run?

I have confidence that will win at least 3 out of these 4 games...win the division...and have a home playoff game against a wildcard team.

I personally think the only AFC team that would flat-out crush us in the playoffs is San Diego. We've had luck against them in the past, but Rivers and LT weren't healthy in 2007 and this year they look like the team no one's talking about but is the team no one wants to face.

Personally, if we win a home playoff game, and get another chance at Indy in the second round and beat them, that's my Super Bowl.

Even if somehow they made it out of the AFC, the Saints/Vikings/Packers would crush them.

I'm just enjoying another 28-30TD, 4,800 yard season out of the associated press' athlete of the decade. Last year was like dating Catherine Keener after dating Catherine Bell for the previous 7 years.

In 2004 the paTs lost to the dolphins in december with a late brady int and won the super bowl...... Haha jk i bet some moron was going to start this thread

LOL.. what do you think you just did there?

Honestly there is no silver lining. Our team is terrible right now. All the things we NEED on our team will take a lot of time to develop.

Leadership, Pass Rushers, O-Coordinator, D-Coordinator, Chemistry, and getting that damn mental block out of everyones head in the 2nd half.

It's not a problem that can be fixed this year. Everything needs to be revamped for next year, and even then it takes alot of time to develop those areas.

Your premise was that you are what you are after week 13. I merely showed you 3 recent examples of teams that managed to turn around their seasons and win the SuperBowl. I'm guessing those teams that I noted had major problems or they wouldn't have had such mediocre records.

You can parse it any way you want. It's the old wish in one hand, **** in the other and see which one fills up first doo-dah. This is not a Super Bowl team. If they had an edge or maybe just a little heart maybe they could gut it out and make a run, but they have neither. This is just a bad year which happens to the best of them. Next year (hopefully) will be better.

Last edited:
Here is a silver lining for you if 2010 is an "uncapped" year the top 8teams have restctions put on them everyone else can spend free ly which means the 8 teams that make it to the second round of the playoffs. I'm not saying anything but we all know the Krafts are not afraid to spend...

Here is a silver lining for you if 2010 is an "uncapped" year the top 8teams have restctions put on them everyone else can spend free ly which means the 8 teams that make it to the second round of the playoffs. I'm not saying anything but we all know the Krafts are not afraid to spend...

I will quickly lose interest if the sport becomes nothing more than who spends the most money gets the most titles.

I don't watch baseball at all for that reason. I barely wa5tch college football becuase there is no real balance or true competitiveness. The regular seson for the top teams is nothing but 3 games to get through and if they get through them, they play for the national championship. Without a playoff system college football can't keep my interest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye