Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Sham Called PETA

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Feb 25, 2012.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +611 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

PETA | Killing Animals | Animal Rights Campaign | The Daily Caller

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  2. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Makes me glad the dog we adopted last fall got picked up by the town pound in Texas City and pulled by a rescue group and fostered.

Sad story, even if the details aren't completely accurate (not saying they aren't)
  3. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 12 / -2

I like a burger and a steak as well as anyone, but I support some of the
    great organizations out there (not Peta) that rescue dogs and cats.

We got a dog 9 years ago from Save a Dog in Sudbury.
    Save A Dog, Inc. - an all-volunteer dog rescue organization located in Massachusetts

They rescue dogs from kill shelters out of state.
    The Chocolate Lab Mix we got is the best dog I have ever owned.
    They rescued him from a kill shelter in Ohio.
    I have spent a arm and a leg on medical bills the last few years, but
    he is worth every penny.

He actually got his picture in the Patriot ledger's weekend addition this
    week.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

I have always had rescue animals and am a supporter of "Best Friends Animal Shelter in Utah", a no kill shelter.

Not a huge fan of PETA ... as they tend to be comprised of Hollywood Wife Swappers.

But the Daily Caller:confused::confused:, anytime you quote a Tucker Carlson (bow tie boy) publication it has to be suspect.. interestingly they do not caption the report, instead they choose to caption petakills.com or other such nonsense.

Peta believes in euthanasia, but these numbers seem high. Is this one of those if it sounds too good to be true..
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +370 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

I'm not crazy about PETA's methods sometimes, but I'd take whatever Richard Berman says with a large grain of salt.

Center for Consumer Freedom or Deception? You Decide.
  6. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

peta is one of those things everyone piles on, and deservedly so, they're full of some real grade A pieces of ****
  7. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +380 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

When I lived in the Norfolk area, there were frequently local reports of PETA doing some strange things. The one I remember most saliently was how some employees were killing all these animals and then dumping them across the line in North Carolina.

EDIT - PETA workers who dumped animals deny wrongdoing | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Even without that stuff, these people are just out there. They're about as effective an advocate for their position as Phelps is for Christianity.
  8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Hey, anyone who succeeds at getting hot women to pose nude or nearly so can't be all bad.

But yeah, I'd feel a lot better about PETA if they allowed an exemption for humanely killed cows, chickens and pigs.
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

This is old news. I've posted about this before. They kill animals all the time.

The source! :rolleyes:

Maybe the Telegraph from a couple of years ago works for you both?

Peta under fire over claim that it kills most animals left at its US headquarters - Telegraph

Some more.

It's ok for them to kill animals, but heaven forbid you use a live worm for bait when you go fishing. Heck, screw the worms. You're not even supposed to eat fish to begin with.

Never eat fish? I'm sure 12 year olds across the country feel the same, but let's get real PETA.

Fishing: Aquatic Agony | PETA.org
  10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +362 / 1 / -9

All members of PETA should be Spayed & Nuetered, they will then die out.
  11. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +611 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

12. Archeryaddict12

Archeryaddict12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Coming from a hunter I have never cared for these wackos.
  13. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +346 / 6 / -8

I've known many of their members, and if you're concerned about walking the walk, they do. It's very simple: the people at PETA believe strongly in what they believe in, and to a person, they greatly influence their own personal lives to comport with that belief.

Nothing's as basic to life than what you eat, and I don't find them say "well okay, today I'll eat a burger." They go out of their way to eat crappy food because they're so concerned about animals, they go out of their way to buy crappy clothes and shoes, they go out of their way to buy products that don't work as well, and then they brainwash themselves into believing the food tastes good, the clothes are just as good, etc.

They're wrong about the quality of life change -- they do lose something -- but you can't very well say that they're all a bunch of big fat hypocrites.

Evidently, that also includes a belief that it's better to have a kill shelter than no shelter, and it's also not possible (for them) to run a no-kill shelter. They're also much more conscious than the general public that many "no-kill" shelters just fill up, and then move animals that aren't being adopted to kill shelters -- which can very easily become sources for lab animals, etc., something that they believe results in unnecessary suffering that the euthanasia policy avoids.

All of that is way more complex than the bumper-sticker level, and were I giving them advice on the optics, I would long ago have said "don't have a shelter then."

They tend to take a somewhat self-defeating attitude toward such things: If it looks effed-up to the average dumbazz, just do it and explain it -- dumbazzes need educating, and some policies give you the opportunity to educate.

I disagree, in terms of optics. This thread is exhibit 1... but PETA seems to think that in the long haul, more people will follow them through the logic and realize that spaying/neutering is the only way to prevent such things, along with better consciousness about treatment of one's "companion animals" (not "pets,") etc.

However, it's worth noting that the counterintuitive, as in this case, can actually also be consistent.

In so noting, however, I am also aware that one can make an impassioned defense of all sorts of aberrant behavior through some convoluted argument, and that the perfectly consistent PETA position can easily be confused for such sleight-of-hand.

That's why I'd tell them to relax and go with the optics on this one, and not run a shelter.

PFnV
  14. Nunchucks

Nunchucks Rookie

Ratings:
    +161 / 7 / -7

I think to become a working member of PETA you have to be nuts.

That being said, I adopted my dog from a rescue group in TN, and would never buy a dog from a breeder.
  15. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Here Here Nunchucks....

Rescue dogs are where its at...IMHO.

I have not come across a more loyal creature in my life than the two rescue dogs in my life (parents rescued a Beagle/Basset from a gas shelter in OH and my wife and I rescued a Poodle/Jack Russell (they think) from TX).