PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is incorrect. Meriweather was in on defense (not a great deal, I don't think, but he was in for at leasta few series).

My bad re: Asante. He still played most of the game. Seemed they used Gay on Gates a lot.

Meriweather played a few snaps at nickel and dime back. I don't think we were in a lot of nickel or dime last night because the Chargers don't have a lot of receiving weapons and it was better to pressure Rivers.

I know it sound silly in a 38-14 win, but for the second week, the secondary did seem to have a bit of trouble getting off the field on third down, often on third and long. The Chargers converted 4-11, but it was really 5-11, since they got to the one foot line on one of those third downs and then converted that 4th down. I think they were pretty much all passes. The only one where we actually stopped them in the second half was the 3rd and 30 and then again when there were just a couple minutes left and the game was over.

The reality was, though, it didn't matter because, just like last week, we answered a touchdown with a 10 minute drive, so their offense was on the bench without a chance to convert anything. A 10 minute drive that ends in points is the best defense you can play.

I was thinking the same thing last night watching the game but watching it again today I think they did a great job. You have to remember that last night the Pats were playing a team that went 14 - 2 last year. The Colts are an excellent offensive team.

Also take into account that Gates is just a superb, superb football player. The amount of times he exploited little spaces in the Pats coverage was unreal. Credit where credit is due.

On the subject of the secondary is there a better tackler in the Pats D(or anywhere else) than Sanders? He never seems to miss a tackle or fail to wrap up some part of the tackler and halt the forward progress. You can bet that's another example of the excellent coaching the Pats players benefit from.

Merriweather played in fact he had a big hit on (i think) gates up the middle.

I'm going to give Samuel a few more weeks to catch up, but he is not earning that paycheck (for next year) the way he's played the past two weeks.

I'm going to give Samuel a few more weeks to catch up, but he is not earning that paycheck (for next year) the way he's played the past two weeks.

How so?

Other than the Coles TD (IIRC -- didn't see the Jets game), he hasn't really given anything significant up that I've noticed. He almost had an INT last night.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back