PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seymour93

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
It just dawned on me how good our secondary is. Hobbs, Samuel, and Gay as the top three CB's. Name me a better CB trio. At safety we have Wilson, Sanders, and Meriweather. Lots of speed and talent there. Harrison will come back healthy and hungry in Week 5.

Yes, a relaxed D gave up two 2nd half TD's, but if you noticed on very few of the completions were the DB's actually beat man to man. The majority of their completions came on those 10 yard passes that picked apart the zones.

There were very few easy, uncontested completions and that's especially surprising given the score. Barring injury we're deep as sh!t in the secondary. We get a little thin a CB if one gets hurt but right now we look excellent and we only have one more tough game until Rodney's back - oh, and the secondary is the weakest part of our defense :D

There were very few easy, uncontested completions and that's especially surprising given the score. Barring injury we're deep as sh!t in the secondary. We get a little thin a CB if one gets hurt but right now we look excellent and we only have one more tough game until Rodney's back - oh, and the secondary is the weakest part of our defense :D

Big Test will be Bengals game, week 4. TJ Houz and Ocho Cinquo will be a load. However, Bungles have no D, since Brown putup 51

Geno looked like his old self and played with some thump! Sanders became a pro tonight. He played smart and strong.

I may be just being too picky, but I'd say our secondary is easily my biggest concern. I don't think they looked all that great either week. They tackle well, but Hobbs and Samuel both have given up a good number of catches.

Then your expectations are simply unrealistic. They're giving up around ~160 per game through the air so far. I don't know how you could take issue with that performance.

Last edited:
I haven't gone back to watch the tape yet. Did anyone notice how much Asante played. I didn't see Meriweather out there?

Asante and Hobbs were the starting corners. Meriweather was in the dime I think, and I also saw him on STs.

Last edited:
I think Gay had a nice game....Geno looks hungry.....Sanders is only getting better....Hobbs had a iffy call against him...BE LOUD AND PROUD....GO PATS!!!!:rocker:

Asante look piss off after missing the int....I think he will be gone next year...That being said I hope he plays as good as last year...BE LOUD AND PROUD....GO PATS!!!!

yeah and in two more games you get rodney back and hell will be comin back with him

I know it sound silly in a 38-14 win, but for the second week, the secondary did seem to have a bit of trouble getting off the field on third down, often on third and long. The Chargers converted 4-11, but it was really 5-11, since they got to the one foot line on one of those third downs and then converted that 4th down. I think they were pretty much all passes. The only one where we actually stopped them in the second half was the 3rd and 30 and then again when there were just a couple minutes left and the game was over.

The reality was, though, it didn't matter because, just like last week, we answered a touchdown with a 10 minute drive, so their offense was on the bench without a chance to convert anything. A 10 minute drive that ends in points is the best defense you can play.

Asante and Hobbs were the starting corners. Meriweather was in the dime I think, and I also saw him on STs.

Reisse reported that Gay started. I didn't notice myself.

Geno looked like his old self and played with some thump! Sanders became a pro tonight. He played smart and strong.

These defenses are so damn complicated so I'm not sure who had coverage responsibilty on Gates but locking him down in January will be critical and I'm sure a healthy Harrison will be a big help.

I think our secondary is above average, but when you compare the D-Line and LB's to them they look below average.. this is a nice problem, that will only become better when #37 returns.

Big Test will be Bengals game, week 4. TJ Houz and Ocho Cinquo will be a load. However, Bungles have no D, since Brown putup 51

If the Browns can put up 51, we should be able to at least put up 70. :rocker:

Hobbs and Gay started.
After the first series or so, Assante went in for Hobbs and played most of the game.
Gay came in for the nickel, and also relieved Assante at at least one series.

I never saw Merriweather take a snap on defense. And I never saw us go into a dime. I think he is still learning the defense, as seen by the Coles touchdown last week against the Nyets, where he totally blew his coverage position. I think BB made him sit this week.

gotta keep down those reps.
Seriously, this is the same as Game 1. Belichick is making a point of Samuel not being a starter for this team.

Hobbs and Gay started.
After the first series or so, Assante went in for Hobbs and played most of the game.

I never saw Merriweather take a snap on defense. And I never saw us go into a dime. I think he is still learning the defense, as seen by the Coles touchdown last week against the Nyets, where he totally blew his coverage position. I think BB made him sit this week.

Hobbs and Gay started.

That is incorrect. Meriweather was in on defense (not a great deal, I don't think, but he was in for at leasta few series).

My bad re: Asante. He still played most of the game. Seemed they used Gay on Gates a lot.

Reisse reported that Gay started. I didn't notice myself.

I did. Gay definitely started and made a play on the second or third defensive play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots