PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Secondary Needs To Get Younger :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure I get the implication of this thread. We could use a playmaker or general talent at these positions almost as muchas at linebacker.

I'm not sure it's worth worrying about Tank Williams, though. first, will he ever be healthy? Pretty nasty knee injury history. Second, isn't he more a pseudo linebacker? I'd love a good vet safety. Merriweather should be a star, Sanders a good journeyman, we could use one more real talent.

Cornerback? Stock the pond. Who knows what we have in Wilhite and Wheatley?

I'd like to see some serious competition at LB and DB.

Last edited:
The Patriots need an established corner they can count on. Not a guy cut by the Bengals (O'Neal) or the Lions (Bryant). My candidate is Ron Bartell of the St Louis Rams, but he might end up costing more than the Patriots are willing to pay. Someone like Jabari Greer has at least proven to be a solid corner who won't be a huge weak link. Drafting a CB is far down my list of priorities as the team already has two prospects in Wheatley and Wilhite. With 2 young cb's on the roster, someone who actually has a track record of playing well in the NFL in 2008 would be nice.

At safety, I could see either a veteran or a high draft pick (or both) added to the roster. Tank Williams has had 3 season ending knee injuries now, I don't think he's someone you can count on to make the roster next year.

I will be screaming loudly all winter for the Patriots to sign Sean Jones from Cleveland. I think the defense relies more heavily on safeties to be playcallers and playmakers than it does its corners. The growth of Meriweather over the 2nd half of the season has been one of my favorite parts of the season, but Sanders can be improved upon.

I'd be fine with either of the Baltimore safeties (Landry or Leohnard) as well as William Moore from Missouri, but I think this defense is lacking the right safety to complement Meriweather. One who is either a ballhawk or a big hitter.

As for CB, I am fine bringing in a vet as a placeholder while the team develops some young talent.

Nhamdi Asomugha, get this guy and watch how much the pass rush improves instantly.

Is Dunta Robinson a free agent? Hurt his knee but might is still relatively young: Dunta Robinson

Lots of top corners in the draft, should be available around pick #25, too. Definitely excited to watch what happens this offseason. :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back