PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Secondary Needs To Get Younger :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I count the need for at least one corner and two safeties. I understand that some here think experience is overrated, but this really is ridiculous. Of course, I hope for the signing of at least three free agents in the first week of free agency. My hope is that first three are Lew Sanders and two of Harrison, James Sanders and Tank Williams. We would then have a core of seven.

How good a unit do you think we'd have with the group below
(CB) Hobbs, Wheatley, Wilhite
(S) Meriweather, Harrison, J. Sanders/Williams
(CB/S) Lew Sanders
======================================
CURRENT ROSTER
CORNERS (4)
Hobbs is the old veteran in his contract year.
We have youngsters Wheatley, Wilhite, and Richardson

SAFETIES (3)
Meriweather is the veteran and the only safety on the roster.

SPECIAL TEAMERS (2)
We have Slater, Ventrone and Spann
========================================

hahahaha

I think we need to get younger at kicker too :D.

i would love a playmaker at Safety. that would be in my top 3 in terms of draft needs. in no particular order LB, DB, OL

Not sure if it is about age or what, all I know is it needs to get a whole lot better.. this is one area that BB might go after a big time signing...

Seriously tho-we've got corner/safety issues. Tank was such a good pick up but we hardly saw him :( I hope he's good to go. We've got no idea about Rodney either.

Maybe it's from watching Ed Reed so much lately but damn I'd love to see a slammer back there; a young-in-football-years Rodney type. Watching the Ravens made me nostalgic for those kinds of smart,HEALTHY players. Meriweather's good but again-it's our DEPTH that worries me more than anything.

Not sure if it is about age or what, all I know is it needs to get a whole lot better.. this is one area that BB might go after a big time signing...

Ditto, DarrylS. Asomugha (FA, probably will be franchised though) or Lito Sheppard (perpetual trade rumors) aren't younger, but they sure are better!

Is anyone convinced that last year's "younger" CB draft pair are the future of the franchise? If they are, they didn't show it as rookies. With 3 picks in the 1st 2 rds, the Pats need to come away with a future Pro Bowler at CB. If they can't, then we need Asomugha, Sheppard, or someone of that quality.

Trade

Cassel to San Fran for Clements CB and a pick

Re: Trade

Cassel to San Fran for Clements CB and a pick

i dont know the details on clements' contract, but from what I recall, he signed a huge contract. i think the contract is prohibitive

I hope we pick up 2 CB's. Perhaps 1 in FA and the other in the draft? Or just 1 corner in the FA because the 2nd year corners should get better now that they have some experience and hopefully they can stay healthy

I hope we pick up 2 CB's. Perhaps 1 in FA and the other in the draft? Or just 1 corner in the FA because the 2nd year corners should get better now that they have some experience and hopefully they can stay healthy

The cost of any good free agent cornerback will be prohibitive.

Better to spend a first day draft pick on a cornerback.

The cost of any good free agent cornerback will be prohibitive.

Better to spend a first day draft pick on a cornerback.

The only prohibitive CB in FA would be Asomugha. There are a number of others who would be good upgrades and probably will be affordable. With 2 rookie CBs on the roster, I'm not sure we want to focus entirely on the draft. I'm happy with a FA CB and a day 2 developmental pick unless someone too good to pass up falls to us.

I do like DJ Moore from Vanderbilt. Sean Smith from Utah declared today. 6'3", 215#, similar build to Scrabble. Played WR as a freshman so he probably has good hands. He could convert to S or stay at CB.

If we have two first round picks, I'd be happy to see them both spent on DBs (probably one CB and one SS).

Of course, this is said to be a good year for TEs, and LBs ...

I think our secondary and safety is young enough, in fact I think the abundance of youth at those positions is one of our issues,not one of our solutions:bricks:

Ed Reed says hello. I'd take him over a draftee all day; him or even Brian Dawkins. Someone smart who's still got some gas left in his tank, plus a player who's got INSTINCT. Someone who can read the field. Seriously I don't understand the mentality on this board sometimes. A rookie CB or Safety is not going to fill any IMMEDIATE need on this team, and CB is an immediate need imho.

I think our secondary and safety is young enough, in fact I think the abundance of youth at those positions is one of our issues,not one of our solutions:bricks:

Ed Reed says hello. I'd take him over a draftee all day; him or even Brian Dawkins. Someone smart who's still got some gas left in his tank, plus a player who's got INSTINCT. Someone who can read the field. Seriously I don't understand the mentality on this board sometimes. A rookie CB or Safety is not going to fill any IMMEDIATE need on this team, and CB is an immediate need imho.

The only way the Patriots are going to get a good defensive back is

draft one. Their recent history with regard to signing veteran defensive

backs is to sign players cut from other teams to one year contracts at

minimum salary. This past year the Patriots not only passed on Asante

Samuel, they also passed on Randall Gay who wanted 3-4 million per

year. I agree a Brian Dawkins or Lito Shepard would be nice but it

isn't going to happen.

The only way the Patriots are going to get a good defensive back is

draft one. Their recent history with regard to signing veteran defensive

backs is to sign players cut from other teams to one year contracts at

minimum salary. This past year the Patriots not only passed on Asante

Samuel, they also passed on Randall Gay who wanted 3-4 million per

year. I agree a Brian Dawkins or Lito Shepard would be nice but it

isn't going to happen.

No it probably won't happen but my point was, a draftee isn't going to fill the void for THIS year,imo. If they can't get a veteran then they'd better beef up the front 7. Extend the keepers like Big Vince but also get some depth. Not saying this year was typical but by season's end we were just one more injury away from nastiness. If we draft a CB/Safety he'd have to be more or less NFL ready.

i would love a playmaker at Safety. that would be in my top 3 in terms of draft needs. in no particular order LB, DB, OL

We have one, just give him a little more time. 31

He's been trained by the master.

images

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye