PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The scoop on Caldwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
DaBruinz said:
If this was the Reche Caldwell of 2003, I'd agree with you. However, you obviously haven't looked at him since then.

No drops in the last 2 years.

Also, EVERYONE fumbles. I don't see people complaining about how often Brady fumbles.

He had 1 catastophic injury. It happens. Its not like he's been injured every year like Chad Pennington.
Caldwell's been a nobody since he was drafted. Ironically, he's put up better receiving totals after his injury than before it.

This signing is a shot in the dark signing. A hope that we hit the jackpot on someone who's been disapointing in his career. That's it, that's all.

We still need a #2 WR.

I don't have a clue if Caldwell should be blamed for not getting back to the #2 spot but even if he did, he's done diddley and squat as a #2 WR in this league. What's he getting back too? 22 catches he had in '02? 8 cacthes he had in '03? 18 catches he had in '04? The 28 catches Caldwell had last season was his best as a pro. To put that into perspective, that's 11 less than Troy caught for us last season as a part, part-time player.

We all KNOW that Brady spreads the ball around better then ANYONE in the league,

Brees had 323 completions last year, of those LT had 51, Gates had 89, and McCardell had 70, (210 total out of 323, 65% went to his top three)

Brady had 334 completions last year, of those Branch had 78, Givens had 59, and Brown came in third with 39 (176 total out of 334, 52.7% went to his top three)

To compare Reche with Troy is extremely unfair given the differences with the QB, and the system.

mavfan2390 said:
We all KNOW that Brady spreads the ball around better then ANYONE in the league,

Brees had 323 completions last year, of those LT had 51, Gates had 89, and McCardell had 70, (210 total out of 323, 65% went to his top three)

Brady had 334 completions last year, of those Branch had 78, Givens had 59, and Brown came in third with 39 (176 total out of 334, 52.7% went to his top three)

To compare Reche with Troy is extremely unfair given the differences with the QB, and the system.
Maybe the comparison is unfair but the fact of the matter is that Caldwell has done jack sheeet as a WR in this league.

Last year was his best as a pro and he totaled just 28 catches for 332 yards. Tim Dwight had the same total of yards last year as did Caldwell and Dwight was buried 5 deep on the Pats depth chart.

My point is not to expect much from Caldwell this season. I certainly am not.

Bobs My Uncle said:
According to the anaysis provided, Caldwell was placed into Marty's doghouse because he fumbled numerous balls last season :confused:

I don't have a clue if Caldwell should be blamed for not getting back to the #2 spot but even if he did, he's done diddley and squat as a #2 WR in this league. What's he getting back too? 22 catches he had in '02? 8 cacthes he had in '03? 18 catches he had in '04? The 28 catches Caldwell had last season was his best as a pro. To put that into perspective, that's 11 less than Troy caught for us last season as a part, part-time player.

I really wish people would check other sites before just parroting some site that gives only part of the story. Caldwell fumbled TWICE. That is hardly numerous. And one of the fumbles was someone stripping the ball. It happens. I mean, People are toutint Troy, yet Troy had a HUGE fumble in the Denver game.

As for the claim that he runs the wrong routes, I'll ask again. You have ONE SITE that makes the claim based on ONE PLAY in which they offer up no proof that Caldwell ran the wrong route. What is to say that Brees didn't throw to the wrong route?

As for you claiming he's done diddly, I guess that you didn't look at when he was starting in 2004. 18 receptions for 310 yards before going down to injury. That was 18 receptions in 5 and a half games. That was when he was in the top 4 of the receiving depth chart for the Chargers.

Now, if you TRULY want to put things into perspective regarding a comparison between Troy and Reche, why don't you also take into consideration that the Patriots threw the ball 38 more times than the Chargers. Lets also consider the fact that the Chargers offense (10 players with receptions, 7 in double digits) doesn't spread the ball out nearly as much as the Pats offense (17 players with receptions, 10 in double digits).

The Pats top 4 receivers, in catches, had 205 catches. That is 58.2% of the catches by the team. In comparison, San Diego's top 4 receivers accounted for 267 catches or 82% of the catches by the team . (I would use the TARGETS stat, but STATS.com doesn't keep it for TEs.) So, its easy to see how Caldwell, being San Diego's 5th option at receiver, wouldn't have gotten a ton of catches.

BTW, Troy was more than a part time player last year. Its why he's ranked 3rd on the team in receptions behind Branch and Givens.

Bobs My Uncle said:
Maybe the comparison is unfair but the fact of the matter is that Caldwell has done jack sheeet as a WR in this league.

Last year was his best as a pro and he totaled just 28 catches for 332 yards. Tim Dwight had the same total of yards last year as did Caldwell and Dwight was buried 5 deep on the Pats depth chart.

My point is not to expect much from Caldwell this season. I certainly am not.

I guess what is good for the goose isn't good for the gander. Or do you want to ignore the fact that Caldwell was buried 5 deep last year as well. He was behind Parker, McCardell, Tomlinson and Gates.

DaBruinz said:
I really wish people would check other sites before just parroting some site that gives only part of the story. Caldwell fumbled TWICE. That is hardly numerous. And one of the fumbles was someone stripping the ball. It happens. I mean, People are toutint Troy, yet Troy had a HUGE fumble in the Denver game.

As for the claim that he runs the wrong routes, I'll ask again. You have ONE SITE that makes the claim based on ONE PLAY in which they offer up no proof that Caldwell ran the wrong route. What is to say that Brees didn't throw to the wrong route?

As for you claiming he's done diddly, I guess that you didn't look at when he was starting in 2004. 18 receptions for 310 yards before going down to injury. That was 18 receptions in 5 and a half games. That was when he was in the top 4 of the receiving depth chart for the Chargers.

Now, if you TRULY want to put things into perspective regarding a comparison between Troy and Reche, why don't you also take into consideration that the Patriots threw the ball 38 more times than the Chargers. Lets also consider the fact that the Chargers offense (10 players with receptions, 7 in double digits) doesn't spread the ball out nearly as much as the Pats offense (17 players with receptions, 10 in double digits).

The Pats top 4 receivers, in catches, had 205 catches. That is 58.2% of the catches by the team. In comparison, San Diego's top 4 receivers accounted for 267 catches or 82% of the catches by the team . (I would use the TARGETS stat, but STATS.com doesn't keep it for TEs.) So, its easy to see how Caldwell, being San Diego's 5th option at receiver, wouldn't have gotten a ton of catches.

BTW, Troy was more than a part time player last year. Its why he's ranked 3rd on the team in receptions behind Branch and Givens.
As someone once said "it is what it is"

Caldwell is your prototypical tease. A guy that has all the skills and physical ability to be a top notch player but, for whatever reason ( ie. buried too deep on the depth chart or gets into his HC's doghouse) he never does excel. He's your classic Tony Simmons/Bethel Johnson/Andre Davis type.

So long as this signing came cheap I don't have a problem with it. Hey, the guy has upside which could be realized with a different city, in a different system with a different QB. I'm just not expecting it to materialize as such. I sure hope the Pats brass feels the same way.

DaBruinz said:
I guess what is good for the goose isn't good for the gander. Or do you want to ignore the fact that Caldwell was buried 5 deep last year as well. He was behind Parker, McCardell, Tomlinson and Gates.
On the contrary. I'm saying they are buried as deep as they are for a reason.

Bobs My Uncle said:
As someone once said "it is what it is"

Caldwell is your prototypical tease. A guy that has all the skills and physical ability to be a top notch player but, for whatever reason ( ie. buried too deep on the depth chart or gets into his HC's doghouse) he never does excel. He's your classic Tony Simmons/Bethel Johnson/Andre Davis type.

So long as this signing came cheap I don't have a problem with it. Hey, the guy has upside which could be realized with a different city, in a different system with a different QB. I'm just not expecting it to materialize as such. I sure hope the Pats brass feels the same way.

Are you completely ignoring his ACL injury? I mean, many say Harrison might be done. Yet now, Caldwell is a total bust because he was #5 on the depth chart - less than a year removed from a torn ACL! And he WAS showing materialization of his talent before the injury. And he WASN'T dropping numerous balls.

Bobs My Uncle said:

If Rodney had to play the first half of the season behind say, Milloy (obviously I know he's signed with Atlanta, but I'm using him analogous to McCardell), coming off an injury, would that mean he's there because he isn't good enough?

Bobs My Uncle said:

In other words, you can't admit you don't know wtf you are talking about.

If you can't freely admit that Gates, Tomlinson and McCardell are amongst the best receivers in the league, then its useless talking to you.

Parker surpassed Caldwell because of injury. Who knows what would have happened had Caldwell not been seriously hurt. Heck, the Chargers probably wouldn't have traded for McCardell to begin with.

pats1 said:
Are you completely ignoring his ACL injury? I mean, many say Harrison might be done. Yet now, Caldwell is a total bust because he was #5 on the depth chart - less than a year removed from a torn ACL! And he WAS showing materialization of his talent before the injury. And he WASN'T dropping numerous balls.
Not sure why you bring up the ACL injury? Caldwell performed BETTER after the injury than prior to it.

Caldwell is a kid that many people look to find reasons to excuse his inconsistant and uninspired play. Most times this happens with players who are highly skilled but, for whatever reason(s), never play to that skill level. I see Caldwell as one such player. Hopefully I am wrong.

DaBruinz said:
Who knows what would have happened had Caldwell not been seriously hurt. Heck, the Chargers probably wouldn't have traded for McCardell to begin with.

If, if and if.

Like I said "it is what it is"

fgssand said:
I will certainly give him a chance - .........

That's awful good of you .... I'm sure Reche appreciates your willingness
to give him a chance. All along he thought it was Belichick .. :)

Bobs My Uncle said:
Not sure why you bring up the ACL injury? Caldwell performed BETTER after the injury than prior to it.

2004 - 6 games, 6 starts - 18 catches/310 yds. 3 touchdowns. ZERO fumbles.

3 catches for 52 yds and 2 TD's/game average.

2005 - 16 games, 2 starts (10/23 and 11/06) - 28 catches/352 yds. 1 touchdown. TWO fumbles.

2 catches for 22 yds/game average.

Now, are you SURE he did better before the injury?

Good defence by that Bruins guy but...

Andre Davis II. Nuff said.

Tho it occurs to me with the emergence of our TE...do we need more?

patpatriot said:

LOVE all your evidence to prove it.

I love it how how all these "experts"..are calling him Andre Davis II and of little consequence...when 4 years ago there was a little know receiver that the Patriots drafted in the 7th round. I can imagine what people like you would have said???

What's the contract length, and how much money?

pats1 said:
2004 - 6 games, 6 starts - 18 catches/310 yds. 3 touchdowns. ZERO fumbles.

3 catches for 52 yds and 2 TD's/game average.

2005 - 16 games, 2 starts (10/23 and 11/06) - 28 catches/352 yds. 1 touchdown. TWO fumbles.

2 catches for 22 yds/game average.

Now, are you SURE he did better before the injury?
We don't have a large enough sample to reveal any significant patterns. Who knows what might have been for Caldwell had he played all 16 games in '04.

What we do know, for a fact, is that last year (post ACL) Caldwell had more catches, for more yards than what he had pre ACL.

patpatriot said:

Tho it occurs to me with the emergence of our TE...do we need more?
Wow i mean i thought about statistics and projections about a player to see how he miht project on a different team.

But just saying Andre Davis 2 makes much more sence. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots