Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Scent of Christmas Past

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +538 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Since we're sharing Christmas stories................

It starts out with a child in the water – greenish, yellowish, brackenish, and overwhelmingly pine scented water. He’s upside down, both feet in the air, with his broad baby shoulders wedged tight against the ridged sides of the deep metal wash bucket - almost as if he tried to crawl, headfirst, back into the soothing liquid heat of some warm primal birth canal.

But it’s cold. The dirty water’s cold. The baby’s cold. The room’s cold, the house is cold, everything’s cold. I’m cold. And it's all so quiet – except, of course, it isn’t. Everyone else’s slower sirens are still arriving outside in the snow covered streets - and inside there’s a screaming mother and a cursing father and somewhere, in another room, there are children playing and a television set is blaring, incongruously tuned to A Sesame Street Christmas.

Underneath the drunken father’s loudly offered explanation, the unintelligible high-pitched ramblings of the three small babbling brothers, and the mother’s hysterical and repetitious “Holy Mary, Madre de Dios,” I can hear the familiar voice of Oscar-the-Grouch, stuck right-side-up inside his own silver can, grousing at some unseen caroling intruder.

It's the baby, it's just the baby that's so awfully quiet. It’s unusual for toddlers this size to be so quiet. Truthfully, I’m amazed by how still everything seems to be when, if fact, if I’d just quit thinking about how quiet he is, I’d realize that things are rapidly approaching unbearably noisy.

And so I do – and instantaneously I want everyone around me to shut-up. I want the mother to quit keening and the brothers to quit babbling and the father to sober up and quit yelling and I want someone to go into the other room and shut the goddamn television off and make that stupid whining Oscar just go the hell away. I want the sirens outside to stop sirening, I want my heart to quit pounding so loudly in my ears that I’m almost positive that I’m going to be sick, and, most of all, I want that god forsaken clean-footed blue-skinned baby to pull his big-old swollen infant head out of that carelessly abandoned bucket of last night’s dirty-assed Pine-Sol water and I want him to grin some crooked, wide-mouthed, 6-toothed, 13 month old grin and I want to hear him holler “Peek/boo” at all of us so that I don’t have to be the one to walk over there, yank him out and confirm what I goddamed well already know to be true.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +578 / 2 / -9

I thought I was the only one that got drunk and posted on here, great post, Jesus it was beautiful.
  3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sounds like a description of an abortion.
  4. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +578 / 2 / -9

That must be it, I couldn't figure it out, but I can't criticize it after some of the sh!t I put on here.....
  5. atomdomb

atomdomb Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Actually sounds like the Mrs. is dealing with a little bout of the ol' constipation. Been there before. My wife better not be telling constipation stories on the internet.
  6. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +578 / 2 / -9

I just printed it up, I'm going to read it to my family after we open all the presents.
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +348 / 3 / -13

:rofl: :rofl: Har....H.....Harr....I can't stop laughing Harry. That was a riot!
  8. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +937 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

Sheesh ... the underwear I bought my girlfriends every Xmas.
  9. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +348 / 3 / -13

You'll be visited by 3 ghosts....all of them pissed off about the underwear!
  10. scott c

scott c Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Did this happen to you?.........:(
  11. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +348 / 3 / -13

A baby falling into a bucket...c'mon man:rolleyes:
  12. scott c

scott c Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I've raised five kids man....children drown in buckets all the time.I was wondering if the woman was some kind of 1st responder....:cool:
  13. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0

1st responder.....:rofl:Who do you think fill filled the bucket in the first place. Debbie Downer herself, of course.
  14. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That sounds like it might have been a gift to yourself...;):D
  15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +538 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Yeah, it did.

And yeah, babies DO drown in buckets much more frequently than people think they do.

In this particular case I was wrong, though. The child didn't die - after an hour of CPR, intubation, and countless drugs and shocks we managed to resuscitate him - and he haunted us for years in the ER afterwards - trach, catheter, feeding tube and all.

Thanks for not laughing, Scott. It was heartening to realize not everyone is completely clueless.
  16. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Please, write some more.
  17. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +348 / 3 / -13

Nice to see my story inspired you ("Since we're sharing Christmas stories") to write one of your own.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  18. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I would have felt bad reading that story but you had to include this part.

Just because you didn't get the response you wanted doesn't mean people here are clueless. People here are far from clueless and for many we have either experienced that or worse ourselves or through members of our own families.

You don't know what people have gone through in their own personal lives so who the hell are you to look down on them and call them clueless.
  19. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +348 / 3 / -13

efin....it was ok to laugh buddy. The story was from left field with no explanation. Also, it was a story motivated by a story I shared earlier in the week that upset MrsPFiVA. My story was about a beautiful evening I spent at my parents Christmas party and MrsPFiVA responded with such kind comments as;

You can better understand where she's coming from by reading the other thread....link below.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/12/302483-joys-our-elders.html
  20. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I read the entire length of that thread, I even gave the first reply in it.

You struck a nerve in her there because of her own family's history that was different than the interpretation of the histories of others. She took offense while everyone else who read it were awed at the joy you were trying to bring. She didn't like how you and everyone else responded and she comes out with this tragedy. People cracked jokes in it and at each other she gets furious and calls everyone "clueless".

I got what she was going for but I didn't buy into it especially the crack at the posters. There are many of us who have suffered multiple tragedies ourselves and through our families that are as bad or maybe worse than what she witnessed, we don't force that on others because they found joy in something someone found joy in.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009