PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Sanchez Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you saying that the jets are in 2014 cap hell because of $4.8M of dead money on a top contract?

From the Jet's cap page. They cut him after June 1 they take a 12.85 million hit this year and a $4.8 million next year

B. Designate Sanchez a June 1 cut. This doesn’t help you with cap room until June 1st but it keeps you from losing cap room by the outright release of the player. If you designate Sanchez a June 1 cut you will retain his $12.85 million cap charge until June 1st rather than taking on the $17.15 million charge. Once June 1 hits his cap charge will reduce to $12.353 million and you will take the $4.8 million balance as a charge in 2014.

Either way I am glad it is the Jets and not us.

I never said they were in cap hell.

All I am saying is that they would pay $12.85 million for 2013 and $4.8 million for 2014 for a player that is not playing for them.

Are you saying that the jets are in 2014 cap hell because of $4.8M of dead money on a top contract?

Not at all. With all their cuts this year of crummy contracts and Sanchez and Holmes next, the Jests will have $40-50 million in cap room. Tons of space.

Cutting Sanchez adds $5M to the cap. This can be deferred. If Snachez is traded at say a $3M salary, the cap cost is minimal.

2013 free agency is essentially over. The jets can have absorbed the cost of the Sachez debacle this year and move on. Worst case is that they have a minimal amount of 2014 dead money.

You guys keep loosely talking about cap hell, as you used to when Manning was with the colts.

First off, Snachez has to agree to a paycut and it has to be to a place Sanchez wants to go. IE: If Chicago came calling, I would think Sanchez would say no to the deal because he doesnt like the cold. Secondly, who is going to trade for Sanchez after what just happened? If a team really wants him, they should just wait because the line to sign Sanchez after he is cut is going to be a short one.

Sign the bea...

wait never mind!

The Sanchez Options....

1)
electric-chair.jpeg

2)
Lethal_Injection101202_.jpg

3)
cutcaster-photo-100141276-Man-hanging-self-with-necktie.jpg

4)
buried-photo-by-tom-hodgkinson.jpg

5)
1281006138_dancing-homie-gets-hit-by-ice-cream-truck.gif

Future looks bright...oh wait...those are headlights!

I'd argue that the state that they're in now is cap hell. They have a crappy team, and they know it, but they can't improve in FA because of cap constraints. Meanwhile, they just traded their best player because they can't afford to pay him what he wants.

If that's not cap hell, I dunno what is.

I know right its not like you can do too much worse in the NFL with nonguaranteed contracts. The maximum durration of cap hell in the NFL is two years or thereabouts. Thats about how long the Jets have no flexability for.

Next year they MIGHT be able to sign some decent free agents, but they will stilll not have roster flexability. Making decisions on roster spots holding onto players because they can't be cut THIS year, or that they have to spread the cap hit out over two years just to field a 53 man roster comprised mostly of UDFAS and vet min guys. Great job Tannenbaum!!:rocker:

I know right its not like you can do too much worse in the NFL with nonguaranteed contracts. The maximum durration of cap hell in the NFL is two years or thereabouts. Thats about how long the Jets have no flexability for.

Next year they MIGHT be able to sign some decent free agents, but they will stilll not have roster flexability. Making decisions on roster spots holding onto players because they can't be cut THIS year, or that they have to spread the cap hit out over two years just to field a 53 man roster comprised mostly of UDFAS and vet min guys. Great job Tannenbaum!!:rocker:

WTF are you talking about? As much as I hate the Jets, I can't deny they've made a lot of the right moves and will be out of "cap hell" in 2014 with PLENTY of $$$ to sign FAs. And not just cheap guys at that. JEtscap.com shows by cutting Sanchez and Holmes at the end of this year it will net them approx. $45 million UNDER the cap, if the cap remains flat. I have no idea on where you're basing your opinion.

Sanchez will be cut before season starts

I wonder if GQ or Sports Illustrated will run a multi-page spread on the budding young future Arena Football League superstar?

WTF are you talking about? As much as I hate the Jets, I can't deny they've made a lot of the right moves and will be out of "cap hell" in 2014 with PLENTY of $$$ to sign FAs. And not just cheap guys at that. JEtscap.com shows by cutting Sanchez and Holmes at the end of this year it will net them approx. $45 million UNDER the cap, if the cap remains flat. I have no idea on where you're basing your opinion.

Sanchez will be cut and the pain of his contract can be spread out but what will continue to hurt the Jets is that they have an appauling dearth of quailty players under contracts beyond this year at reasonable cap costs. They will still be top heavy. A quick glance at overthecap.com shows they are in a far inferior position to other teams in thier division. They still will be looking to crawl out of of a hole. Only one way out. Draft well and develop. No need for the nastieness. The Jets are not exactly on the top of the world you know.

We should sign him. That way, if Brady does go down for the season, we can be assured of the first pick in the draft.

I'm thinking the opposite. I want to take the players that the Jet's have given up on and then do something with them.

And except for how it would tarnish Brady's legacy.. I loove imagining a quarter of a million Jet fans having simultaneous brain embolisms if we were to sign Sanchez and then have him lead us to a Superbowl victory. :D

Hard to have the face of the franchise be the same person who had the undefining moment of the 2012 season.

Sanchez has 2 of my fan favorite plays. The butt fumble and the time he jumped like a little kid when the CB scared him (Sanchez was wide left in the outside WR spot).

Hard to have the face of the franchise be the same person who had the undefining moment of the 2012 season.

Sanchez has 2 of my fan favorite plays. The butt fumble and the time he jumped like a little kid when the CB scared him (Sanchez was wide left in the outside WR spot).

3553346_o.gif

It's hard to have the face of the franchise planted firmly in the butt crack of your right tackle while Steve Gregory returns the fumble 32 yards for a touchdown.

It's hard to have the face of the franchise planted firmly in the butt crack of your right tackle while Steve Gregory returns the fumble 32 yards for a touchdown.
Yup, that's the play I was referring to.

Sure, trade Mallett for a 2014 2nd and give a 6th for Sanchez, after the jets pay most of his 2013 salary as a bonus). :)

No one will trade for Sanchez because of his contract. Oh, and because he sucks.

I guess that patriots are in cap hell. We couldn't afford to pay Welker $7M a year.

How exactly are the jets in cap hell because they refuse to pay Revis SIXTEEN million a year?

Some teams are not willing to pay a non-quarterback that kind of money. BTW, the patriots are one of those teams.

You are kidding right? The Jets have arguably (maybe not even an argument against) the worst talent in the NFL, and they have had almost zero cap room to do anything about it.
Do you think they would be at this stage of the offseason with 10+ positions that don't have NFL caliber starters if they weren't in cap hell?
Cap hell ends, and when they are done with the disaster contracts they did, they will be out, but this team is the textbook example of cap hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes