PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Safeties

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Chung turns into what he is expected to turn into, how can we carry all of them and give them enough playing time? We would have to sacrifice one of them (hopefully via trade) to improve elsewhere. You just can't carry four good/very good safeties.

Patriots defensive backs get injured enough that four "good/very good" safeties is not too many to carry.

We should cut Sanders and re-sign Dexter Reid and Don Davis.

All he did was rattle would-be receiver's with ball-jarring hits.

Forgous is a bitter elf.

You're so right -- it's good to have a game to make him feel the pain! (Oh, and "yes" to everything everyone's been saying about McGowan, Mr Here-There-And-Everywhere.)

Both of our safeties are playing at an incredible level right now. I really couldn't be happier with them in both run support and in the passing game.

All depends on how Chung improves. If he knows the D, I don't see how they can hang onto Sanders and justify his salary/cap #

Sanders will cost more if he gets cut than if he plays. He's a good player and has a small cap hit.

Sanders will cost more if he gets cut than if he plays. He's a good player and has a small cap hit.
I don't think he'll be cut but I don't believe you are correct starting this offseason. From Miguel's site :

"April 5, 2009 update The Boston Globe's Mike Reiss blogged today that "Sanders's three-year contract includes base salaries of $620,000 (2009), $2.3 million (2010) and $2.8 million (2011). He receives a signing bonus of $1.8 million, and a roster bonus of $1.2 million that was paid in mid-March. The deal also includes workout bonuses from $80,000-$100,000, depending on the year.""
If cut he'd have $1.2M left of prorated signing bonus, offset by the elimination of a $2.3M salary.

If cut he'd have $1.2M left of prorated signing bonus, offset by the elimination of a $2.3M salary.

And then you add min-sal of another player to that, and you're pretty close to even. He's not worth cutting unless hes terrible, which hes not.

And then you add min-sal of another player to that, and you're pretty close to even. He's not worth cutting unless hes terrible, which hes not.
You're still saving half a million and then the whole $2.8M in 2011. I already said I wouldn't cut him, not do I think they will. However it needed to be pointed out that his recent extension was mostly salary so he is cuttable unlike a contract like Adalius Thomas has which would be much more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back