PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The sad part about this offseason...

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
that a fringe practice squad reciever who put up all of his stats aganst scrubs gets waived, and their are 7 pages worth of replies on it, and people are now worried. In any other year this would be a sidenote. Can even the biggest pats fans admit, the pats made some mistakes this offseason. All that cap space even after seymour's bonus, will be wasted for nothing. i really find this a bit disturbing, and am begining to believe the FO was given a budget lower then the salary cap. Because their is no way pioli and BB feel that this is the best team they could put on the field with 13 million dollars still available. They could of had Finneran or Jureviscious for 2.5 and didnt pull the trigger.

R_T26 said:
that a fringe practice squad reciever who put up all of his stats aganst scrubs gets waived, and their are 7 pages worth of replies on it, and people are now worried. In any other year this would be a sidenote. Can even the biggest pats fans admit, the pats made some mistakes this offseason. All that cap space even after seymour's bonus, will be wasted for nothing. i really find this a bit disturbing, and am begining to believe the FO was given a budget lower then the salary cap. Because their is no way pioli and BB feel that this is the best team they could put on the field with 13 million dollars still available. They could of had Finneran or Jureviscious for 2.5 and didnt pull the trigger.

The Patriots are always as good as they draft. Go look at the roster and tell me how many FA we have the on the team. Three SB wins later and BB is still doing what he always does.

R_T26 said:
They could of had Finneran or Jureviscious for 2.5 and didnt pull the trigger.

Finneran is out for the year, no big loss; and Jureviscious is from Ohio, so I think that had something to do with his signing in Cleveland.

the fact thats he's out for the year is moot, he was healthy during FA, and whose to say he would of gotten hurt here. You just cant tell me that this is the best they can do with all that money available.

R_T26 said:
Can even the biggest pats fans admit, the pats made some mistakes this offseason. All that cap space even after seymour's bonus, will be wasted for nothing.

Not for nothing but what is most distrubing is your belief that the FO and BB have FAILED.

On what do you base that assumption?????????

When the season is over and we are SB winners will you still be crying WOE WOE is WE.

If the history of this team tells us anything it is this......NOTHING and I repeat NOTHING ever catches BB without a plan.

BB saw this Dieon hold out comming and he has prepared for it, like the Good General prepares for the comming battle.

Maybe we can not yet see his plan but that in no way indicates he does not have one and it in no way indicates failure.

So have faith and watch we will come thru this strom stronger, leaner and meaner. Just like all the other battles before it.

Saying in BB we trust is not an assumpotion it is based in a very solid history of success.

Last edited:
RAWKY said:
Not for nothing but what is most distrubing is your belief that the FO and BB have FAILED.

On what do you base that assumption?????????

When the season is over and we are SB winners will you still be crying WOE WOE is WE.

If the history of this team tells us anything it is this......NOTHING and I repeat NOTHING ever catches BB without a plan.

BB saw this Dieon hold out comming and he has prepared for it, like the Good General prepares for the comming battle.

Maybe we can not yet see his plan but that in no way indicates he does not have one and it in no way indicates failure.

So have faith and watch we will come thru this strom stronger, leaner and meaner. Just like all the other battles before it.

Saying in BB we trust is not an assumpotion it is based in a very solid history of success.

I love BB/Pioli, but do not tell me this is the best they can come up with with the money they still have available.

R_T26 said:
I love BB/Pioli, but do not tell me this is the best they can come up with with the money they still have available.

umm yes it is. Only a fool (Dan Synder) builds his team on FA. What's your point? Do you want us to follow the Dan Synder model. Look at all those shiny FA he signed this off-season.

THE CORE OF OUR TEAM IS DRAFTED.

R_T26 said:

I also don't understand what they are doing.

They haven't learned their lessons from last season.

They replaced Ty Law with the cheaper Duane Starks.

Duane Starks alone cost us 3 games and the home field in the playoff.

I have no doubt that with Law, we would have won our 4th Lombardi last season.

We finally have our "Joe Montana" and we are throwing away all the opportunities to win more Lombardis.

Last edited:
we never know if they are banking for 2007. they might be planning on making a big splash. and let's not forget that warren and wilfork will one day be free agents. so you need to pick and choose who you want to keep.

but i think they will use the extra cash this year

ahh see what you did.... you got Mikey's attention. I can't see his post because he's on my ignore, but I'm sure he's repeating the same blather he usually does.

You seem to be making the argument that we have done horrible in the offseason based on the money spent. May I remind you that the Redskins have done exactly what you seem to advocate and it seems to bring them to nowhere. Now, I am not saying that BB and SP are never wrong, I am sure if they have known the DB issue would turn out like this they would have gone after some good WRs. I think there are missed opportunities, but I don't think it's cause for concern.

As for the money we have available, I think they have a good plan about what to do with them.

16 games at least left to be played .We will know more accurately about the offseason moves then . In BB's words "what difference does it make on paper, do u want to compare my paper with buffalo's paper?" :)
just kidding.

mikey said:
I also don't understand what they are doing.

They haven't learned their lessons from last season.

They replaced Ty Law with the cheaper Duane Starks.

Duane Starks alone cost us 3 games and the home field in the playoff.

I have no doubt that with Law, we would have won our 4th Lombardi last season.

We finally have our "Joe Montana" and we are throwing away all the opportunities to win more Lombardis.

And that's evidenced by either going to the playoffs, or having a playoff caliber record (see 2002 9-7 tied for first) every year since 2001?????????? :\

Last edited:
NEM said:
If you have him on ignore, dont open the door and complain about him, especially if you cant see what he posts. If you see his posts, and disagree, then you have a right to complain ...but otherwise, dont bring him up.

Just my two cents trying to be "fair and balanced/"

nah, I'm not complaining. I was just laughing cuz I knew Mikey agrees and would say the same thing he always does, that's all. It's his right.

R_T26 said:

I am starting to wonder myself.

a guy I work with who is also a Pats fan (it's rare here in NC) says he thinks the Pats FO just got to arrogant and too smart for there own good. I will save judgement for the results on the field. But I'm getting a bad feeling.

R_T26 said:

When it is possible to, ie the end of the season, to tell you what you desire to know it will be so obvious i will not need to tell you.

From this position it is impossible for me to tell you and it is impossible for you to judge that it is a failure.

So in the interim i am going to continue to TRUST IN BB and HIS PLAN.

No i do not know what that plan is but I do trust he has one and i trust it is a good one just like those plans previous to it were good ones.

I base my faith on histroy. Tell me on what do you base your negitivity????

Only the current circumstance which you interpert to be failure.

Not unlike those WOE WOE is WE after the Buffalo debacle....

While i was not pleased with that result i did see something in the end of that Game that gave me hope

It was typical BB we are down 31 to 0 and in field goal range but BB refuses to send in our field goal kicker to kick a field goal....

Most people saw this a simply giving up but i saw where BB was headed.

He did not want the team to have anything to hang onto at the end of that game nothing nada zippo. He knew that the more complete the beat down the better chance he had to bring the team togeather as a T_E_A_M.

So he did not allow them to save any face he forced them to accept the bitter pill.

We went on to when a SB that year and we also completely evened the score with the BUfs in the final regular season game. We actually went on to win Two SBs and set an NFL record for consecutive victories.

When one sees that kind of wise foresight and leadership in the heat of battle one is impressed enough to not be as concerned when adverse winds whip about the Pat's ship.

For at the helm is in my oppinion the best football coach i have ever witnessed step onto a football field.

So yes i will watch and i will be involved but i am firmly in BB's camp until the facts are all in.

As they say in Vegas always bet on a winner.

uh oh, R_T26, Mikey, and anyone else who DARE suggest that the PATS F.O. GODS have been wrong about something.... don't come around here with those sort of questions..... people will start suggesting that you want to run the team like the redskins, or better yet, reply with " WE'RE DOOMED" in enlarged font.

Beisel and Starks? Shrewd, tactical moves...... pure Brilliance! But wait? this FO builds its team on the draft not free agency!!! hmmm.......

I guess Dillon and Harrison were drafted by the Pats. Rock on, homers, keep drinkin the cool aid! :rocker:

Unless someone can tell me what they should have done (Sign Finnernan?) this thread is worthless. The fact is, the Patriots are going to guarantee some money for current players and spend right up to the cap, and then they are going to take that savings and use it wisely to sign guys next year.

The only way that they failed is that you have to come up with a better alternative than what they did.

I fail to see what that alternative is.

Sign Branch to 7 million a year, 70% of Brady's contract? I'd say, that would be a dumb move. Or rip up Branch's contract to set a precedent? Dumb move.

Looking back, the Patriots tried to open up some money for Branch and Law by getting rid of Willie McGinest. Personally, that does look bad now. Willie was worth the extra 1.5 mill even if he is overpaid. He still brings value, and at least if the team is overpaying for a guy, they are only getting taken for 1.5m which is worth a Tebucky, a Gardner and a Pass.

D-cleater said:
uh oh, R_T26, Mikey, and anyone else who DARE suggest that the PATS F.O. GODS have been wrong about something.... don't come around here with those sort of questions..... people will start suggesting that you want to run the team like the redskins, or better yet, reply with " WE'RE DOOMED" in enlarged font.

Beisel and Starks? Shrewd, tactical moves...... pure Brilliance! But wait? this FO builds its team on the draft not free agency!!! hmmm.......

I guess Dillon and Harrison were drafted by the Pats. Rock on, homers, keep drinkin the cool aid! :rocker:

ummm ... you're moving the goalposts. The point in question is whether or not the Pats have put the best product on the field with all that money they have. The reply is not that the Pats have never made a mistake (they have... nobody's perfect) but instead the reply is that the Pats don't spend just to do so (Brian Finneran, etc.) (Redskins).

Last edited:
And the point about Harrison and Colvin and Vrabel are true....BB has not in the past, nor will he in the future build the team on FA and sign FA just to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes