PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Running Game Maroney is unproven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
im worried about who is going to be the head assistant to the vice president of the grounds keepers...i mean i hear its some new unproven guy...im worried...visions of yellowish brown turf.....just chill out on maroney. let him play before you throw him under the bus. maroney= 1300 yards, 10 TDs.

Two words, one name. Frank Gore! Look at what he did with the 9ers. His numbers are similar to Maroney's in his first year and exploded in his second. Maroney when given majority of carries did very well. If he was the primary back the whole year, he would have had more yards than Addai. Maroney is waiting to explode!

Maroney's number predict a decent year. The guys who think he is the next Ladanian Tomlinson or Larry Johnson are homers, obviously. He's a good back, but does not show signs of greatness (yet.) He's also no Antowain-Smith, Troy Hambrick level slouch. He'll get the job done. I also love the Morris pickup, because we have another guy who can carry the load if Maroney is injured.

You want a predictive futures market for running backs? Look at the fantasy world. You'll see Maroney drafted in the second round, as a "sleeper." And spare me the bullcrap about fantasy football; it is what it is. It's not always accurate (Lamont Jordan was a fantasy football darling, f'rinstance, last offseason.) But by and large, it reflects all the expertise of sportswriters, analysts, and the guys-without-a-life who read them.

But, if you think these guys whose living depends on crunching numbers and noticing changes in blocking schemes, etc., don't do enough homework, just do said homework yourself. The guy averaged 4.3 yards per carry -- and that's with a tendency to dance behind the line of scrimmage. There's a lot of talk about the Pats adopting a zone blocking scheme, which would suit LoMo much better. But even if they don't, I think you can correct indecisiveness behind the line, to a degree.

Think about that: 4.3, with high upside (if he makes that technique correction.) This is a solid NFL running back, possibly -- just possibly -- among the future elite at the position.

PFnV

If it's 2nd and 8 and you have to run twice, you'd much prefer Addai who gets 5 yards at a crack to Maroney who has a small chance of a big gain but about a 50% chance to get less than 2 yards (and a good chance of negative yards).

That's what i don't like about him. 3nd and 3 or 3rd and 2, it's 50/50 whether he gets it or not.

Addai is probably more like 80-90%.

Dillon wasn't much good anymore, too slow.

Maybe Morris can help.

The Running Game Maroney is unproven.

I am concerned about or running game. Is it better with out Dillon. Maroney certainly didn't show he is ready. At this moment the Colts seem to have gotten the better running back, but beyond that it seems like last year the running plays being called did not take advantage of the type of running backs we had and to make it worst the offensive line did not do a good job of executing them even if the play called was a good one.

Maroney at times looked as though he just didn't get it, but that could be attributed to the play calling and he was a rookie. That being said the running game doesn't look that impressive and with the resent signings so far it appears we are headed to an air it out first mentality.

The pass setting up the run? I am not saying that is a bad thing. I just don't know what to make of it. Running it down their throats it wont be. Maroney prove me wrong. Please.

okay..Maroney didnt get it done in playoffs but neither did Corey and playcalling didnt seem to be going towards run game a lot.

what about the 12 other games he played in regular season? Against Bills,Jets, Bengals, Jaguars, Dolphins to name a few..he looked good

the signings help our run game..it takes a safety out of the box and plays 7 man front like most teams face instead of 8 beacuse the lack of WR threat. that means no more Sanders, Whitner, Rhodes hanging around as an extra LB

if coaches didnt believe in Maroney they wouldnt let Dillon walk and not pick up a big name. All rookies face issues..look at Steven Jackson..theres plenty who struggled at times.

dont worry about run game..worry about playcalling and how we will use everyone

okay..Maroney didnt get it done in playoffs but neither did Corey and playcalling didnt seem to be going towards run game a lot.

what about the 12 other games he played in regular season? Against Bills,Jets, Bengals, Jaguars, Dolphins to name a few..he looked good

the signings help our run game..it takes a safety out of the box and plays 7 man front like most teams face instead of 8 beacuse the lack of WR threat. that means no more Sanders, Whitner, Rhodes hanging around as an extra LB

if coaches didnt believe in Maroney they wouldnt let Dillon walk and not pick up a big name. All rookies face issues..look at Steven Jackson..theres plenty who struggled at times.

dont worry about run game..worry about playcalling and how we will use everyone

couldnt have said it better...

Two words, one name. Frank Gore! Look at what he did with the 9ers. His numbers are similar to Maroney's in his first year and exploded in his second. Maroney when given majority of carries did very well. If he was the primary back the whole year, he would have had more yards than Addai. Maroney is waiting to explode!

Official Stats:

Frank Gore Rookie Year: 14 games played 127 att 607 yds 3 TDs 4.8 ypc
Laurence Maroney Rookie Year: 14 games played 175 att 745 6 TDs 4.3 ypc

Football Outsiders Stats:

Gore: DPAR (8.0), DVOA (1.1), Success Rate (45%)
Maroney: DPAR (9.1), DVOA (-1.9), Success Rate (46%)

Fantastic catch, Archives. These stats appear very similar to me, other than Gore's significantly higher YPC. However, that could be attributed to playcalling (i.e. Laurence Maroney up the middle for -2 yards, over and over again), not skill. Hopefully Maroney will do as well next year as Gore did this year (and maybe Maroney will put me at the top of my fantasy league next, just like Gore did this year :D )

We all know it couldn't of been the split duties and the rib injury that slowed down Maroney towards the end. God forbid someone here in this forum tried playing flag football,never mind having 250 to 350+ guys tackling you with that injury.

This subject bores the living crap out of me. I find it funny how comparisons to Addai are being made after just one season. Before the injury Maroney was kicking every other rookie RB's ass. Give it time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back