Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Rove Watch: 78 days.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Apr 24, 2008.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

What's wrong, Fox?

Rove Watch clock: 78 days.
    [​IMG]

Former White House adviser Karl Rove appeared on Fox News’s O’Reilly Factor tonight to assess the results of the Pennsylvania primary, commenting on the performance and prospects of Sens. Hillary Clinton (D-NY) and Barack Obama (D-IL). Once again, O’Reilly failed to identify Rove’s ties to Sen. John McCain’s (R-AZ) campaign, marking the 78th day since Rove became a Fox contributor with no disclosure.
  2. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

First of all, Rove is merely a *commentator*. He does not report from the field; he doesn't even read the news. He "comments", period, just the way James Carville and Paul Begala are all over the networks doing their "commentary" (spinning). People know where Rove stands. Not so many Fox watchers fell off the turnip truck yesterday.

How is he any different from a George Stepanopolos, who used to work for the Clinton administration, and is/was a regular ABC news commentator? Or, even more, how does what Rove do on Fox compare with the fact that on-air news personalities are overwhelmingly either Democrat or Libertarian?? Very few mainstream Repubs are on-air, probably fewer working the back-room news production. Not as bad as with university professors, but still heavily skewed anti-Repub.

I don't get your obsession with all things Republican. :confused:

//
  3. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

The difference is that one 'commentator' (Rove) is paid by the 'news' organization, while the other was not paid (Stepanopolis).
  4. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I'm not sure that matters all that much. Face time is face time, whether one gets the added benefit of a financial remuneration or not, the *message* one wants to convey is the most important public issue. Rove says what he wants to say just as Stepanopholos says what he wants.

And, since you mention it, are you *sure* Stepanopolos has never been paid?? He used to be on as a regular commentator on ABC, saw him almost every day it seems; hard to believe he did all that "pro bono".

//
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 8 / -13

Stephie isn working for free at ABC?????

What are you smoking?
  6. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

So these ties are that he donated to McCain's campaign and had an informal conversation with him? Doesn't seem like much to me. From what I've seen he's a heck of a good analyst, brings a lot of knowledge to the table, and is enjoyable to listen to. I also don't think he makes any secret as to where his loyalties lie.
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

I can't stand Rove. He's a pretty good analyst, but a total ends versus means guy. If he's advising McCain, or a member of his campaign, then they should mention it. If he donated to McCain, and had a conversation with him, then I don't think it's something egregious. A mention of it would be best though.
  8. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

He donated $2,300 to him and says he voted for him. How many other friggin talking heads donated to Clinton, Gore, Dean, Kerry etc etc and never mention it?

I don't see the point here-when I say that 92-93% of the media voted for Clinton, and don't you think that causes them to report a little differently, everyone tells me I'm crazy.
  9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Rove is the single reason our nation is in the toilet. He had the 'vision' to push forward the unethical platform of GWB, our nation's most failed president!

Thanks pal!

Look at our nation's military, healthcare, economy, infrastructure, energy policy and education. ALL are tanking. And if you have your rose colored glasses on about any of the above issues..you are part of the problem.

Thanks karl! I fukcing HATE you.

and if you like karl rove, you are unamerican! You hate our troops, you hate our constitution, you hate our children and you hate our nation. But you LOVE private contractors!

YAY...Blackwater!
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  10. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Should they have to mention it if he's not an official adviser to his campaign? I'm not sure, I don't think it would be necessary.

You know what I always thought was weird, speaking of conflicts of interest? That newspapers endorse candidates. I always thought they should stay impartial.
  11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

At the trial of Chicago fundraiser Tony Rezko, a “government witness claims Rezko discussed efforts among top Republicans, including former White House political director Karl Rove and GOP national committeeman Robert Kjellander,” to have U.S. attorney Patrick Fitzgerald “fired to derail a corruption probe.”

http://thinkprogress.org

the ballz on Rove must be GINORMOUS!
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

I don't think Rove, nor Fox, has to do anything. If he is an advisor, then they should. If he's simply acting as any person normally does, i.e. donating the legal amount permitted, then it's not anyone's business really. Were it my show, I'd mention it. I've seen BO do it with Dick Morris & others on his show. He'll say "well we know you're a so&so guy/gal". I think full disclosure is always best. Again, that's my personal preference. However, who someone on TV donates to someone isn't required information. Maybe it should be, but it isn't. Who does Tom Brokaw support/donate too? He's on MSNBC giving commontary. We don't know, they don't ask, and who really makes a stink about it? I'd like to think that common sense would tell us that Rove is supporting the republican in the race. I'd even bet that BO has asked, or said something along those lines to him. Maybe a dig like "we all know you're a McCain guy" or "I'd assume you're going to support the republican in the race". Again, if he's a campaign member, or advisor, then let people know. If he's donated, and isn't formally employed, then that's up to them to disclose.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

As much as I dislike Karl Rove, I hardly think that he's the root of all our countries problems. He might have poured a little gas on, or fanned the flames, but this country's issues stretch a little further than Rove's wing span.
  14. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +99 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

Give me a break, Rezko is Obama's boy.
  15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

sure he is....
  16. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +99 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

Also see.

N. Pelosi
    H. Reid
  17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

he is the root of the evil that sits in the oval office....no doubt in my mind.

the world would be a much better place if Roves... 'mother' .... had a vasectomy....

yes I said that.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  18. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I guess it's too late to put down the glue, huh?
  19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

but, it smells so delicious.....
  20. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

How's it taste?