PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Rotation & Bullpen

ausbacker

TB12
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I've been sitting on this for a while. The Red Sox in theory should have one of the better rotations and bull pens going around. We've done a pretty handy job in playing through injuries this season to post what looks like a winning record. All that said, I have absolutely no faith in anyone who isn't named Bucholz, Lester, Bard or Doubront pitching for the Red Sox. Beckett is fanned, Lackey has been less than inspiring, Dice-K is erratic and Papelbon is a closer who has learnt to blow multiple score leading saves.

Putting aside the Red Sox issues on offense, I'm of the opinion that Francona and Epstein need to do a radical overhaul of our pitching going into next season.

um, no! They have one of the best starting rotations in the league. It just so happened Beckett was injured and Lackey was off this year. No one can stack up against Beckett, Lackey, Lester, Buchholz...i agree with your Dice-K statement. He is lights out one day and then gets hammered the next.

The bullpen stinks sans Bard

um, no! They have one of the best starting rotations in the league. It just so happened Beckett was injured and Lackey was off this year. No one can stack up against Beckett, Lackey, Lester, Buchholz...i agree with your Dice-K statement. He is lights out one day and then gets hammered the next.

The bullpen stinks sans Bard
I disagree. Lester and Bucholz are the only reliable starting pitchers we have. Beckett and Lackey make far to many mental errors for perceived guns and can blow the game for the Sox on the strength of 1 inning.

No doubt health is an issue but I'm not buying what I'm being sold about the Red Sox pitching.

With the exception of youk, pedey, beltre, lester, buch and bard, they need to blow this team up completely. In short, they stink!

With the exception of youk, pedey, beltre, lester, buch and bard, they need to blow this team up completely. In short, they stink!
Beltre has been enormous for the Red Sox this season. He's been a fantastic signing this year. I wish I felt the same about Lackey.

Last edited:
I agree on the bullpen....We need to move bard to the closer role, Get rid of papelboner and strengthen the bullpen next season....I love our starting rotation minus Dice-k (too inconsistent)....lester is one hell of a pitcher and he could be up for a Cy Young if he learned how to pitch in the first 2 innings of games....

Any chance we move on John Spackey in the off-season? He's ******* useless.

lmao. if the sox were in almost any other division in baseball they would be in first place or tie. they have a good chance to win 90 games. they dont stink your just drunk.:D they play in the best division in baseball.

Last edited:
the tweak I would like to see is a slight change in the farm system / bullpen. I would rather see Theo load up on the 4A pitchers and have them in Pawtucket. leave the AA team for grooming starters like they do now.

Use Pawtucket like the NFL uses practice squads and let these younger kids who might only end up being 4th or 5th starters to fight it out for bullpen duty.

Every once in a while we'll catch a closer or a setup guy like we do now. But at least it will be cheaper than signing washed up veterans to take on bullpen duty. Too many of those guys simply suck and then you have to keep them on the roster or cut them. At least with Pawtucket you could move them around a bit and create competition for the bullpen spots.

Terry had little faith in the guys this year beyond Pap and Bard ... it was painful to watch at times.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back