PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Roster as of 3/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
With some nice signings today, the Pats roster is really shaping up. Things currently stand as follows (new players in bold):

QB(3) TBrady, KO'Connell, MGutierrez. Losses: Matt Cassel. Gains: getting TomBrady back. Overall vs. 2008:Improved

RB(5) LMaroney, FTaylor, SMorris, KFaulk, BJGreen-Ellis. Losses: Lamont Jordan, Heath Evans. Gains: Fred Taylor and hopefully a health LoMo. Overall vs. 2008:Improved

WR(5) RMoss, WWelker, GLewis, SAiken, MSlater. Losses: Jabar Gaffney, Kelly Washington. Gains: Chad Lewis. Overall vs. 2008:Slightly Weaker so far

TE(5) BWatson, CBaker, DThomas, TDeVrees, BListorti. Gains: Chris Baker, Brad Listorti. Overall vs. 2008:Improved

OT(4) MLight, NKaczur, MLevoir, RO'Callaghan. Losses: Wesley Britt. Gains: Return of Ryan O'Callaghan. Overall vs. 2008:About the same

OG(7) LMankins, DKoppen, SNeal, RHochstein, BYates, DO'Connell, RWendell. Overall vs. 2008:Unchanged

DT(3) VWilfork, LSmith, TAdams. Overall vs. 2008:Slightly weaker due to loss of Mike Wright (see DEs)

DE(3) RSeymour, TWarren, JGreen. Losses: Mike Wright. Overall vs. 2008:Weaker

OLB(6) AThomas, PWoods, SCrable, TBanta-Cain, VRedd, ACraig. Losses: Mike Vrabel, Darrell Robertson. Gains: Tully Banta-Cain. Overall vs. 2008:Weaker

ILB(5) JMayo, GGuyton, TBruschi, EAlexander, BRudd. Losses: Larry Izzo. Overall vs. 2008:Improved, given maturation of Mayo and Guyton.

S(5) BMeriweather, JSanders, SSprings, ASpann, RVentrone. Losses: RHarrison, TWilliams, LSanders. Gains: SSprings. Overall vs. 2008:Uncertain Weaker on paper, but given that Harrison and Williams didn't contribute much due to age and injuries, may actually be improved, especially with Meriweather maturing.

CB(5) EHobbs, LBodden, TWheatley, JWilhite, MRichardson. Losses: Deltha O'Neal. Gains: Leigh Bodden, Shawn Springs (listed under safety). Overall vs. 2008:Improved, probably markedly so with the addition of Bodden and Springs and the maturation of Wheatley and Wilhite

K(1) SGostkowski. Overall vs. 2008:Unchanged

P(2) CHanson, TMalone. Overall vs. 2008:Unchanged

LS(1) NHodel. Losses: Lonnie Paxton. Gains: Hodel Overall vs. 2008:Uncertain

Not a bad 60-man roster going into the draft, and probably better than 2008 overall, particularly at this early stage. With a deep draft and 6 probable picks in the top 100, we should be in clover. Add a WR, a S to develop opposite Meriweather, an OLB, and some depth (OL, DL) and we should be awesome this year.

There are still plenty of roster positions available for rookies.

This is almost a complete Belichick type roster, one where we can go into the draft in complete freedom to pick the best players, and ready to go into camp and the season, and not be forced to count on rookies at any positions.

I say almost since there are still a couple of positions to sign in free agency: wide receiver, defensive lineman and maybe fullback.

why do ppl still have harrison not coming back? and same with tank williams?

QB(3) TBrady, KO'Connell, MGutierrez. Losses: Matt Cassel. Gains: getting TomBrady back. Overall vs. 2008:Improved

RB(5) LMaroney, FTaylor, SMorris, KFaulk, BJGreen-Ellis. Losses: Lamont Jordan, Heath Evans. Gains: Fred Taylor and hopefully a health LoMo. Overall vs. 2008:Improved

WR(5) RMoss, WWelker, GLewis, SAiken, RVentrone. Losses: Jabar Gaffney, Kelly Washington. Gains: Chad Lewis. Overall vs. 2008:Slightly Weaker

TE(5) BWatson, CBaker, DThomas, TDeVrees, BListorti. Gains: Chris Baker, Brad Listorti. Overall vs. 2008:Improved

OT(4) MLight, NKaczur, MLevoir, RO'Callaghan. Losses: Wesley Britt. Gains: Return of Ryan O'Callaghan. Overall vs. 2008:About the same

OG(7) LMankins, DKoppen, SNeal, RHochstein, BYates, DO'Connell, RWendell. Overall vs. 2008:Unchanged

DT(3) VWilfork. Losses: Mike Wright. Overall vs. 2008: Weaker

DE(3) RSeymour, TWarren, JGreen, LSmith, TAdams. Overall vs. 2008:About the same

OLB(6) AThomas, PWoods, SCrable, TBanta-Cain, VRedd, ACraig. Losses: Mike Vrabel, Darrell Robertson. Gains: Tully Banta-Cain. Overall vs. 2008:Uncertain

ILB(5) JMayo, GGuyton, TBruschi, EAlexander, BRuud. Losses: Larry Izzo. Overall vs. 2008:Improved

S(5) BMeriweather, JSanders, ASpann, MSlater. Losses: RHarrison, TWilliams, LSanders. Gains: SSprings. Overall vs. 2008:Uncertain

CB(5) EHobbs, LBodden, SSprings, TWheatley, JWilhite, MRichardson. Losses: Deltha O'Neal. Gains: Leigh Bodden, Shawn Springs. Overall vs. 2008:Improved

LS(1) NHodel. Losses: Lonnie Paxton. Gains: Hodel Overall vs. 2008:Weaker

why do ppl still have harrison not coming back? and same with tank williams?
I'm not expecting Rodney to be ready in time for Training Camp or preseason. I'm projecting him as an emergency signing mid-season (at best). Tank would probably have to start Training Camp on PUP, he's an option, but he doesn't have to be signed right away. Make you plans like they won't be there, if you need help, figure it out then.

my 2 cents...

I like Wright, but I'm not sure his loss warrants a "Weaker" rating at both DT and DE. The only place his loss hurts us in my opinion is losing a backup to Wilfork at NT. We have plenty of guys at DE.

I consider QB to be weaker than last year, assuming he are comparing this year's preseason roster vs last year's preseason roster. Brady (and many others) were injured during the season. Such injuries can happen any year to any player. If you comapre right now to the end of last season, then you are comparing apples to oranges IMO. Losing Cassel makes the position weaker.

WR(5) RMoss, WWelker, GLewis, SAiken, RVentrone. Losses: Jabar Gaffney, Kelly Washington. Gains: Chad Lewis. Overall vs. 2008:Slightly Weaker

LOL Chad Lewis (Greg?) :) and a healthy Brady > healthy Cassel

Last edited:
So Hodel is listed as a TE. Does BB plan on using him as a blocking back/FB?

Has Mike Wright signed with anyone?

With some nice signings today, the Pats roster is really shaping up. Things currently stand as follows (new players in bold):

WR(5) RMoss, WWelker, GLewis, SAiken, MSlater. Losses: Jabar Gaffney, Kelly Washington. Gains: Chad Lewis. Overall vs. 2008:Slightly Weaker so far

DT(3) VWilfork, LSmith, TAdams. Overall vs. 2008:Slightly weaker due to loss of Mike Wright (see DEs)

DE(3) RSeymour, TWarren, JGreen. Losses: Mike Wright. Overall vs. 2008:Weaker

OLB(6) AThomas, PWoods, SCrable, TBanta-Cain, VRedd, ACraig. Losses: Mike Vrabel, Darrell Robertson. Gains: Tully Banta-Cain. Overall vs. 2008:Weaker

ILB(5) JMayo, GGuyton, TBruschi, EAlexander, BRudd. Losses: Larry Izzo. Overall vs. 2008:Improved, given maturation of Mayo and Guyton.

S(5) BMeriweather, JSanders, SSprings, ASpann, RVentrone. Losses: RHarrison, TWilliams, LSanders. Gains: SSprings. Overall vs. 2008:Uncertain Weaker on paper, but given that Harrison and Williams didn't contribute much due to age and injuries, may actually be improved, especially with Meriweather maturing.

CB(5) EHobbs, LBodden, TWheatley, JWilhite, MRichardson. Losses: Deltha O'Neal. Gains: Leigh Bodden, Shawn Springs (listed under safety). Overall vs. 2008:Improved, probably markedly so with the addition of Bodden and Springs and the maturation of Wheatley and Wilhite

LS(1) NHodel. Losses: Lonnie Paxton. Gains: Hodel Overall vs. 2008:Uncertain

Not a bad 60-man roster going into the draft, and probably better than 2008 overall, particularly at this early stage. With a deep draft and 6 probable picks in the top 100, we should be in clover. Add a WR, a S to develop opposite Meriweather, an OLB, and some depth (OL, DL) and we should be awesome this year.

Great breakdown. I have one question.

Why is it that you give credit for maturation for players like Guyton, Mayo, Wilhite, and Wheatley, but not for players like Woods, Redd, and LaVoir?

I think rodney is done playing he is to old

Four days later, with Mike Wright and Joey Galloway signed, the roster now looks really strong:

QB(3) TBrady, KO'Connell, MGutierrez. Losses: Matt Cassel. Gains: getting Tom Brady back. Overall vs. 2008: Improved. There's no substitute for a health Brady.

RB(5) LMaroney, FTaylor, SMorris, KFaulk, BJGreen-Ellis. Losses: Lamont Jordan, Heath Evans. Gains: Fred Taylor and hopefully a health LoMo. Overall vs. 2008: Improved. Deepest RB corps we've ever had, and definitely the best since 2004.

WR(6) RMoss, WWelker, JGalloway, GLewis, SAiken, MSlater. Losses: Jabar Gaffney, Kelly Washington. Gains: Joey Galloway, Chad Lewis. Overall vs. 2008: Improved. Galloway and Lewis add speed to stretch the field which should make Moss and Welker even more effective, especially with the return of Brady.

TE(5) BWatson, CBaker, DThomas, TDeVrees, BListorti. Gains: Chris Baker, Brad Listorti. Overall vs. 2008: Improved. Baker gives a dimension to TE that's been missing since Dan Graham left.

OT(4) MLight, NKaczur, MLevoir, RO'Callaghan. Losses: Wesley Britt. Gains: Return of Ryan O'Callaghan. Overall vs. 2008: About the same.

OG(7) LMankins, DKoppen, SNeal, RHochstein, BYates, DO'Connell, RWendell. Overall vs. 2008: Unchanged.

DT(3) VWilfork, LSmith, TAdams. Overall vs. 2008: Unchanged. Mike Wright also adds depth here.

DE(4) RSeymour, TWarren, JGreen, MWright. Overall vs. 2008: Unchanged.

OLB(6) AThomas, PWoods, SCrable, TBanta-Cain, VRedd, ACraig. Losses: Mike Vrabel, Darrell Robertson. Gains: Tully Banta-Cain. Overall vs. 2008: Weaker with the loss of Vrabel, though if Crable progresses the loss may not be great.

ILB(5) JMayo, GGuyton, TBruschi, EAlexander, BRudd. Losses: Larry Izzo. Overall vs. 2008: Improved, given maturation of Mayo and Guyton.

S(5) BMeriweather, JSanders, SSprings, ASpann, RVentrone. Losses: RHarrison, TWilliams, LSanders. Gains: SSprings. Overall vs. 2008: Uncertain Weaker on paper, but given that Harrison and Williams didn't contribute much due to age and injuries, may actually be improved, especially with Meriweather maturing.

CB(5) EHobbs, LBodden, TWheatley, JWilhite, MRichardson. Losses: Deltha O'Neal. Gains: Leigh Bodden, Shawn Springs (listed under safety). Overall vs. 2008: Improved, probably markedly so with the addition of Bodden and Springs and the maturation of Wheatley and Wilhite.

K(1) SGostkowski. Overall vs. 2008: Unchanged.

P(2) CHanson, TMalone. Overall vs. 2008: Unchanged.

LS(1) NHodel. Losses: Lonnie Paxton. Gains: Hodel. Overall vs. 2008: Uncertain.

The additions of Galloway and Wright really solidify this 62-man roster with 6 weeks to go before the draft. The only significant holes are arguable OLB, where the loss of Vrabel creates a gap, at least on paper, and at S where depth is needed and ideally a long-term replacement for Rodney Harrison. With a deep draft and 6 probable picks in the top 100, we should be in clover.

Four days later, with Mike Wright and Joey Galloway signed, the roster now looks really strong:

QB(3) TBrady, KO'Connell, MGutierrez. Losses: Matt Cassel. Gains: getting Tom Brady back. Overall vs. 2008: Improved. There's no substitute for a health Brady.

RB(5) LMaroney, FTaylor, SMorris, KFaulk, BJGreen-Ellis. Losses: Lamont Jordan, Heath Evans. Gains: Fred Taylor and hopefully a health LoMo. Overall vs. 2008: Improved. Deepest RB corps we've ever had, and definitely the best since 2004.

WR(6) RMoss, WWelker, JGalloway, GLewis, SAiken, MSlater. Losses: Jabar Gaffney, Kelly Washington. Gains: Joey Galloway, Chad Lewis. Overall vs. 2008: Improved. Galloway and Lewis add speed to stretch the field which should make Moss and Welker even more effective, especially with the return of Brady.

TE(5) BWatson, CBaker, DThomas, TDeVrees, BListorti. Gains: Chris Baker, Brad Listorti. Overall vs. 2008: Improved. Baker gives a dimension to TE that's been missing since Dan Graham left.

OT(4) MLight, NKaczur, MLevoir, RO'Callaghan. Losses: Wesley Britt. Gains: Return of Ryan O'Callaghan. Overall vs. 2008: About the same.

OG(7) LMankins, DKoppen, SNeal, RHochstein, BYates, DO'Connell, RWendell. Overall vs. 2008: Unchanged.

DT(3) VWilfork, LSmith, TAdams. Overall vs. 2008: Unchanged. Mike Wright also adds depth here.

DE(4) RSeymour, TWarren, JGreen, MWright. Overall vs. 2008: Unchanged.

OLB(6) AThomas, PWoods, SCrable, TBanta-Cain, VRedd, ACraig. Losses: Mike Vrabel, Darrell Robertson. Gains: Tully Banta-Cain. Overall vs. 2008: Weaker with the loss of Vrabel, though if Crable progresses the loss may not be great.

ILB(5) JMayo, GGuyton, TBruschi, EAlexander, BRudd. Losses: Larry Izzo. Overall vs. 2008: Improved, given maturation of Mayo and Guyton.

S(5) BMeriweather, JSanders, SSprings, ASpann, RVentrone. Losses: RHarrison, TWilliams, LSanders. Gains: SSprings. Overall vs. 2008: Uncertain Weaker on paper, but given that Harrison and Williams didn't contribute much due to age and injuries, may actually be improved, especially with Meriweather maturing.

CB(5) EHobbs, LBodden, TWheatley, JWilhite, MRichardson. Losses: Deltha O'Neal. Gains: Leigh Bodden, Shawn Springs (listed under safety). Overall vs. 2008: Improved, probably markedly so with the addition of Bodden and Springs and the maturation of Wheatley and Wilhite.

K(1) SGostkowski. Overall vs. 2008: Unchanged.

P(2) CHanson, TMalone. Overall vs. 2008: Unchanged.

LS(1) NHodel. Losses: Lonnie Paxton. Gains: Hodel. Overall vs. 2008: Uncertain.

The additions of Galloway and Wright really solidify this 62-man roster with 6 weeks to go before the draft. The only significant holes are arguable OLB, where the loss of Vrabel creates a gap, at least on paper, and at S where depth is needed and ideally a long-term replacement for Rodney Harrison. With a deep draft and 6 probable picks in the top 100, we should be in clover.

OT and LB has to be the top priority for the draft.

Also, picking up another safety to back up Sanders and/or groom for the future. They're different players, but Meriweather is as likely to be a replacement for Harrison as we're likely to find, I think.

Also, picking up another safety to back up Sanders and/or groom for the future. They're different players, but Meriweather is as likely to be a replacement for Harrison as we're likely to find, I think.

I agree with you. I especially would like to see a left tackle drafted. An infusion of youth along the offensive line wouldn't hurt, IMO.

I would agree.

Right now you can make a good argument that there is no room on the roster for a rookie QB, RB, WR, TE, or CB. The last 4 are remarkable given where the roster was just 15 days ago. That leaves OL, DL, LB and S.

The roster is fairly set at OL and DL, but there is clearly need for depth and long-term needs. I would echo the desire for an OT if the right prospect falls. William Beatty is my preference. An OG/C could also be in the mix, either on the first day (Mack, Wood or Unger) or later (Trevor Canfield). At DL I would like to see a true NT backup for Vince Wilfork. DE is solid for 2009, but with Seymour and Green having contracts expire after 2009 a potential replacement would not be amiss.

LB and S seem like more immediate needs. Meriweather and Sanders started almost all of 2008, but Sanders is clearly upgradeable and is better suited as a rotational guy than as a full-time starter IMHO. A first day complement to Meriweather would be great. LB has more youth and depth than in the past, but is thin at the starting level with potentially 1 OLB and 1 SILB positions open (or 2 OLBs if Adalius Thomas moves inside).

So if we use all 4 of our picks, I would like to see a minimum of 1 OL, 1 LB and 1 S taken, with the 4th pick being used either on another OL, another LB, or a DL.

So if we use all 4 of our picks, I would like to see a minimum of 1 OL, 1 LB and 1 S taken, with the 4th pick being used either on another OL, another LB, or a DL.
I think THAT is drafting for need...and not what they do...it's more a balance of need vs BPA...so I think it will depend on who gets picked ahead of time and WHO they really may be looking at for the team long term. If a Taylor comes to Foxboro that hole at OLB would be filled and be a less immediate need. Same as if they pickup a safety soon to add to the mix.

I would agree.

Right now you can make a good argument that there is no room on the roster for a rookie QB, RB, WR, TE, or CB. The last 4 are remarkable given where the roster was just 15 days ago. That leaves OL, DL, LB and S.

The roster is fairly set at OL and DL, but there is clearly need for depth and long-term needs. I would echo the desire for an OT if the right prospect falls. William Beatty is my preference. An OG/C could also be in the mix, either on the first day (Mack, Wood or Unger) or later (Trevor Canfield). At DL I would like to see a true NT backup for Vince Wilfork. DE is solid for 2009, but with Seymour and Green having contracts expire after 2009 a potential replacement would not be amiss.

LB and S seem like more immediate needs. Meriweather and Sanders started almost all of 2008, but Sanders is clearly upgradeable and is better suited as a rotational guy than as a full-time starter IMHO. A first day complement to Meriweather would be great. LB has more youth and depth than in the past, but is thin at the starting level with potentially 1 OLB and 1 SILB positions open (or 2 OLBs if Adalius Thomas moves inside).

I'm with you on another safety as a primary need, I bet the Pats nab a big, hard hitting S, early in the draft.

And you're right - OLB/pass rusher is still a major weakness. We'll have AD back, but Crable, Baanta-Cain remain unknowns for next year. While there are a lot of bodies at OLB, we don't have a certified speed freak QB killer and we need one.

I disagree with your view of the RB position - I think BB will have a young RB on the team in the mold of Faulk. If we keep all the 2nds, then the new RB will come pretty early. I also believe there may be room for a FB/ST out of the draft, a guy to replace Izzo - essentially all ST with the ability to lend a hand if really needed.

I'd say you underestimate the DL needs. With so many guys possibly gone next year and obviously some questions about Seymour's true worth, the DL looks to be one of the highest priorities in this draft. Don't be surprised if we trade up for Raji.

Last edited:
We need a STRONG safety. Meriweather can't tackle Tight Ends. Sanders isn't fast enough to cover them either.

I'm with you on another safety as a primary need, I bet the Pats nab a big, hard hitting S, early in the draft.

And you're right - OLB/pass rusher is still a major weakness. We'll have AD back, but Crable, Baanta-Cain remain unknowns for next year. While there are a lot of bodies at OLB, we don't have a certified speed freak QB killer and we need one.

I disagree with your view of the RB position - I think BB will have a young RB on the team in the mold of Faulk. If we keep all the 2nds, then the new RB will come pretty early. I also believe there may be room for a FB/ST out of the draft, a guy to replace Izzo - essentially all ST with the ability to lend a hand if really needed.

Don't u think Maroney can be the next Faulk? I think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes