PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

THe Rocket Scientist from Raensalaer Polytechnic Institute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPatsFan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I want to post a thread about our quiet secret weapon. How about a round of applause fort The Quiet Man, Matt Patricia.

BB found and hired him from that football power Reansalaer Polytechnic Institute. It is that well known football power. Only a move that a Bill Belichick would do. Who else but BB would find and hire a graduate Aeronautics Engineer and make him a Defensive Coordinator.

Way to go Matt, a genuine genius Rocket Scientist, getting your players to produce a shutout when the Offense would be down, and the Team needed it.

Crazy - Patricia doesn't do too many interviews but it would be interesting to learn more about his story

Hey, it's only football, not like it's rocket science or anything....

Heh. The analogy between football and rocket science actually isn't far off.

Know what the objective is. Make sure you have the thrust going in the direction you want/need. Make certain the exhaust exits cleanly. Keep all the parts working together. Have redundant systems in case something breaks/fails. If it gets out of control, blow it up and start over.

:cool:

I was at RPI (Rensselaer, please spell it right) from 94-96. I believe Patricia was there at that time. Like most of the football players, chances are nobody knew him. Here are a few notes:
1. It's a hockey school better known for Adam Oates and Joey Juneau
2. My dorm (The Quad) was 40 yards from the football field which had a smaller seating capacity than my high school stadium in western Pennsylvania.
3. The male to female ratio was 65/35.
4. Troy, NY is also called the armpit of the Northeast.

I was at RPI (Rensselaer, please spell it right) from 94-96. I believe Patricia was there at that time. Like most of the football players, chances are nobody knew him. Here are a few notes:
2. My dorm (The Quad) was 40 yards from the football field which had a smaller seating capacity than my high school stadium in western Pennsylvania.
It is clear to me that you have never been to Utica New York.

Plus, RPI is the only school in the country where part of the Admissions process is whether a student can spell its name correctly...but, don't worry OP, there's always MIT...easier to spell...

(that's a joke)

1. It is a Division III football program, so the team overall looked like it would get thrashed by some of the large high schools in Massachusetts.
2. That ratio was much improved from 4 years earlier, when I believe it was 18% (but Troy is also host to Russell Sage College - a women's college a mere walk downtown away)
3. The misspelling is apropo. The name is a cruel joke, knowing engineers cannot spell (for some inexplicable reason the school tried to force the issue by moving away from a nice acronym 'RPI' to University of Rensselaer, forcing the students to spell that mess)
4. They were still doing that cheer at games when I was there, which is all you really need to explain RPI athletics in a nutshell.

I was there from 80 to 84, and my frat used to hit golf balls off our frat house roof through the windows in The Quad.

5. At Rensselaer the men are men and the women are men.

He'd say thank you but he's locked away in a room getting ready for the Bills.

images

I want to post a thread about our quiet secret weapon. How about a round of applause fort The Quiet Man, Matt Patricia.

BB found and hired him from that football power Reansalaer Polytechnic Institute. It is that well known football power. Only a move that a Bill Belichick would do. Who else but BB would find and hire a graduate Aeronautics Engineer and make him a Defensive Coordinator.

Way to go Matt, a genuine genius Rocket Scientist, getting your players to produce a shutout when the Offense would be down, and the Team needed it.

Before we rejoice and celebrate too much, there's always the possibility Matt leaves us next year...
to join Elon Musk's SpaceX.

Matt is part of the trend in BB's coaching staff. Look at it, almost all small college football geeks. Guys who can think out of the box and are obviously good teachers. Maybe its because of BB's background at Wesleyan. I don't know, but it is certainly a staff that would looks very different than what you get at most NFL teams. IIRC, only Ventrone played in the NFL.

You would think that today's would resent coaches that never played in the league. In fact most of these guy never play major college football, but clearly they don't. There wasn't a player interviewed last night who didn't cite his coaches for the reason they won.

I was there from 80 to 84, and my frat used to hit golf balls off our frat house roof through the windows in The Quad.

5. At Rensselaer the men are men and the women are men.

Did you frequent Zelda or Sutters (Slutters)? The good ol' days...

I graduated from Worcester Polytechnic institute in the late 60s. Like RPI, WPI was a football power who is famous for breaking RPIs longest in NCAA history consecutive loss record. We did it by losing at our homecoming game back then,when we had an overflow crowd of maybe 75 fans. We played against other powerful teams like Weslyian, where another somewhat famous Coach matriculated.

My only hope is that if he has a daughter he names her Patricia. That's too good of an opportunity to pass up.

Also, let's not go overboard with the praise since a mere 5 days ago we were killing him for going to that soft zone D that almost cost them the game against Miami.

Plus, RPI is the only school in the country where part of the Admissions process is whether a student can spell its name correctly...but, don't worry OP, there's always MIT...easier to spell...

(that's a joke)

WPI East, also known as MIT, was for our somewhat lower IQ students who couldn't spell Rennsalaer or Worcester...

I'm an Albany native and grew up going to RPI hockey games. For all the jokes about it being a football powerhouse, there's a current RPI grad in the NFL! (Andrew Franks, Miami's kicker)

As for Patricia, he's smart and has football down, but he's no Joe Juneau, who arrived at RPI unable to speak English and graduated in three years with a 3.92 in aerospace engineering while playing D1 hockey for a team that had just won the national championship before moving onto a 20 year career in the NHL.

WPI East, also known as MIT, was for our somewhat lower IQ students who couldn't spell Rennsalaer or Worcester...

RenssElaer ;-)

(pronounced Ren-slur if you know what you're doing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back