Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Rise in Disability (fraud) Claims is Not a Coincidence

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, May 12, 2012.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -8

Unbelieveable how obvious it is that people are claming disability because their unemployment benefits ran out.

Opinions?

Red line = Unemployment Benefits
    Blue line = New disability claims

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +106 / 7 / -10

Well you need to get the unemployment rate down somehow for political reasons...

When you record sucks try to change the numbers to fool enough people to get reelected.

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

Where is the chart from????.. guess the mod did not notice.
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

That number seems very high. According to politifact.com, there are around 15,000,000 people who collect SSI or SSDI (and you have to figure that most of those people are mentally retarded, severely mentally ill, or have true physical limitations). In addition, wouldn't those most likely be the people who are first to lose their jobs in a bad economy? They are the most difficult to employ, so when their unemployment insurance runs out, I assume many of them turn to disability because they have no alternative.
  5. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +106 / 7 / -10

See the links in post #2

The point of the article is that since 2010 2.2 million people whose unemployment insurance ran out became disabled...
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

I think many of those people were probably disabled and working. They are the ones who get fired first. I have clients with PTSD who managed to hold jobs in car washes or supermarkets, but when the economy declined they lost their jobs. They went out and job hunted and are still job hunting. A client of mine recently asked me, "Would you be disappointed in me if I applied for disability?" I said, "No," because I knew he was disabled (from trauma) and was having a really hard time finding work. He wants to work, but given his CORI (criminal record), his lack of resume, and his limited social skills, he has only been able to get occasional work. I told him to get disability, if he's eligible, and use that time to go back to school and learn a trade. I don't think 2.2 million people became disabled (some certainly did legitimately, others play the system, and others were disabled and working), most of them were disabled all along. Most people really truly want to work because it pays far better than SSI or even SSDI (which is actually very hard to get).
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

What a joke. Deadbeat USA.

I told you guys that over the years I've taken notice at how many young people walk into my office looking for apartments, and list their disability checks under income.

I honestly think we need to go broke, in order to adequately fix our problems.

I said in a post a long time ago, that one of things I would do, were I in charge, is issue an order to recertify all disability claims.
  8. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

I have the impression that you and your family profiteer off those you complain about. It's not as easy as you think to get Disability. To do so, someone needs a legitimate disability or neds to find a corrupt doctor and therapist, and quite possibly a corrupt lawyer, too. While those people exist, it's not all that common for a doctor or therapist to risk their license in that way. Surely, a handful of the people who go to you are ripping off the system, but others have illnesses you may not be aware of. Not all illnesses are that readily apparent. There are people in group homes who present as quite okay, but inside they are actually severely retarded (can't read or write) or under stress react in extremely inappropriate ways. You're not a doctor or a therapist, so your understanding and knowledge of the people coming to you is limited. But, hey, landlords in slums are not generally known for their sensitivity.
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Profiteer.... :rofl:

What I love about your posts Frauders, is that the more of them you make, the more and more other posters see you for what you truly are. ;)
  10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

Post 1 & 2 both put forth a graph and a set of facts, with no qualification as to where they are from.. for all we know they could be from Gateway Pundit or the Dead Breitbarts or part of a series of charts?????
  11. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +139 / 1 / -8

The "funny" thing is that the SUDDEN JUMP in disability claims EXACTLY coincides with the end of the 99 weeks extended unemployment period.

BTW....it truly is difficult to get on disability if you're claiming a physical disability. But it's not tough at all if one is claiming a psychological/emotional disability.

"Notice the jump in claims after the recession was allegedly long-over.

"The timing coincides with unemployment benefits expiring at 99 weeks. Supposedly higher taxes will fix the problem. I say "nonsense"."

The source of the graph is TrimTabs which is a data firm that provides trends and information for the investment community.

Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: TrimTabs on Debt and Disability Claims: How Much Debt Does it Take to Generate $1 in GDP? Disability Fraud vs. Expiring Unemployment Benefits Revisited
  12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +106 / 7 / -10

Let's assume that is true. I can certainly see where people with disabilities would be the last hired, first fired.

However within the context of this thread that doesn't affect the point.

See these people are employable at some level een though we will agree they are the less skilled and less capable workers.

We can agree that it is better for them personally and society generally if they are working and have some sense of self worth that to be dependents like little children.

So the point here is that due to the weak economy, they aren't employed and their status as disabled hides their unemployed status thus artificially lowering the unemployment %, which should be much higher than 8.2%.
  13. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

I don't think slumlords are in a position to know about the disabilities of their clients. Maybe a good landlord has enough involvement with their tenants that they know who is honest and struggling and who is ripping off the system. I could be wrong, but can't one make anonymous reports to agencies if one believes someone is committing fraud? But, maybe that would hurt a landlord's bottom line? I wonder how much our taxpayer dollars actually go to slumlords? Any idea? :D
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
  14. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

I agree with you, and it's pretty clear that the recovery of the Wall Street has not trickled down to main street.

My point was simply in response to PR's claim that the increase in those on disability represents and increase in fraud. I don't think it's that simple.

At every level of society there's a small percentage who commit fraud, but quite honestly fraud requires a lot of work. The only easy way to rip off the system is to have babies, and I don't get that because those moms of four or more kids have a really hard life. I think the only way to discourage that is to get rid of handouts and have daycare and workfare, but you'd have to raise taxes substantially to do that. The other ways to rip off the system seems to involve a lot of hard work, that it's hardly worth it.
    Last edited: May 13, 2012