PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Return of Leigh Bodden

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Bodden/McCourty is what we were all excited about before losing Bodden to injury."

Were we excited about McCourty at this point last year? I remember most people thinking that we had drafted a kick returner and special teamer way to high and his later becoming star starter and potential DOR was a big surprise.

All the same, I'm excited for them both this year too. Not sure if the excitement from others about Dowling is warranted given that Wheatley and Butler were picked just as high.

We definitely were excited about him at this point last year. In fact, I even dedicated a thread to him. It came a little closer to the first preseason game, if memory serves me correctly.

Like you said, we are all definitely excited about the tandem this season. I really think they could become one of the better tandems in the league if they both stay healthy and perform at the levels we believe they can perform.

Last edited:
Back to the original topic: yes, I'm very much looking forward to Leigh Bodden's return. Kyle Arrington stepped up admirably to the challenge that he was given last year, but let's be honest: aren't we all more comfortable with Bodden on one side and Arrington as a third option/nickel/slot corner?

If anything last year showed us you can't have too many corners. Bodden's first year with the Pats was very good; I'm definitely not only looking forward to seeing him on the field again, but looking forward to the lineups of McCourty/Bodden, McCourty/Bodden plus either Arrington or Butler in the defensive backfield. It wasn't all that long ago that the Pats were trotting out players like Deltha O'Neal or Duane Starks in the defensive backfield, that were clearly overmatched far too often.

Yeah, I'm pumped about the return of Leigh Bodden. Whether it's because of the draft, free agency, the lockout, his only playing with the Pats for one year, McCourty's success, or some other reason; Bodden's return does seem to be flying way under the radar thus far.

Last edited:
Meriweather cant tackle, he just launches himself at the ball carrier. That's a big pet peeve of mine, watching NFL players who don't know how to form tackle. That's Pop Warner stuff right there, this diving at a runners legs with your shoulder is crap.

When Peyton Hillis is coming at you and you weigh 184 lbs, your 4.40 40 isn't going to help you. If you plant your shoulder into him you're going to be roadkill. If you form tackle him, he will get lower than you and blow you up. Or in case you do get a hold of him, he will carry you into the end zone. The only thing little guys can do to take the big guysis to dive at their ankles.

That being said BW's fundamentals leave a lot to be desired.

Last edited:
When Peyton Hillis is coming at you and you weigh 184 lbs, your 4.40 40 isn't going to help you. If you plant your shoulder into him you're going to be roadkill. If you form tackle him, he will get lower than you and blow you up. Or in case you do get a hold of him, he will carry you into the end zone. The only thing little guys can do to take the big guysis to dive at their ankles.

He also takes absolutely horrid angles to the ball, what is to be desired?

Can't wait to see him out there

Let's not turn the thread into a B. Meriweather hate thread, please.

Well...that's just one of few players in the league...Hillis has no problem running over linebackers aswell.

I really wanted us to make a move for Hillis..McDaniels didn't like him for some reason and i think we could've got him cheap. In his rookie year before the injury i was really impressed with him. A powerback with decent speed and soft hands?

Well...that's just one of few players in the league...Hillis has no problem running over linebackers aswell.

I really wanted us to make a move for Hillis..McDaniels didn't like him for some reason and i think we could've got him cheap. In his rookie year before the injury i was really impressed with him. A powerback with decent speed and soft hands?

Hillis is also incredibly agile and nimble. In the game against the Pats last year, there was one play where he jumped over two defenders in the first quarter and another where he spun off of someone (don't remember the defender) and ran for another 9 or so yards. His two issues right now are injuries, which one could understand because of his running style, and fumbling.

"Bodden/McCourty is what we were all excited about before losing Bodden to injury."

Were we excited about McCourty at this point last year? I remember most people thinking that we had drafted a kick returner and special teamer way to high and his later becoming star starter and potential DOR was a big surprise.

All the same, I'm excited for them both this year too. Not sure if the excitement from others about Dowling is warranted given that Wheatley and Butler were picked just as high.

Go back and read some threads from last year. Kowledgable posters were very optimistic about McCourty.

this, a younger more physical Cromartie without the all the other BS.

I doubt he'll ever have the man coverage skills that Cromartie has (when he's focused, anyway). He's not as quick as Cromartie but is much, much more physical.

Go back and read some threads from last year. Kowledgable posters were very optimistic about McCourty.

Yeah, I responded the same way to the question. I was even one of the posters who started a thread about McCourty. I knew the kid would be the real deal after watching him more closely.

Yeah, I responded the same way to the question. I was even one of the posters who started a thread about McCourty. I knew the kid would be the real deal after watching him more closely.

Yeah, I didn't see your post till after I posted. Sowwy about that ;)

Here is another article that echoes the sentiments of the thread:

While the Patriots don't have the best collection of cornerbacks in the NFL — that distinction belongs to the Eagles now that Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie have joined Asante Samuel — they do have a pair that matches up with just about everyone else, including the Jets, in sophomore Devin McCourty and veteran Leigh Bodden.

Worcester Telegram & Gazette - telegram.com - Bodden, McCourty solidify Patriots secondary

Last edited:
Some more on Bodden's return:
Worcester Telegram & Gazette - Bodden, McCourty solidify Patriots secondary | Rich Garven

“Defensively, the two things you want to do are pressure the quarterback and cover the receivers in the passing game,” coach Bill Belichick said on the first day of training camp. “That's what pass defense is: those two things working together and the timing of it, the coordination of it and the execution of it. That's what the passing game is all about.

“You can never have too much pass rush. You can never have too much pass coverage. You're always trying to improve that.”

While the Patriots don't have the best collection of cornerbacks in the NFL — that distinction belongs to the Eagles now that Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie have joined Asante Samuel — they do have a pair that matches up with just about everyone else, including the Jets, in sophomore Devin McCourty and veteran Leigh Bodden.

There's also this on McCourty:
McCourty settles in as a 'veteran' - The Attleboro Sun Chronicle | Mark Farinella

"I think it's a challenge any time you go to a new team or coming in as a rookie," he said. "You have to learn new things. You have to learn the way the organization works. Any time you have to learn something new, there's always some challenges."

Some of the challenges are fairly easy to recognize. "People are moving faster," he said. "Guys are bigger and stronger. They have more knowledge of the game. When you become a pro, you have to do a lot more to your body and step up your level because everyone is better."

If the lockout hadn't put a permanent freeze on my NFL purchases, I'd be sporting an official McCourty jersey already. That kid is the real deal, and if he stays healthy, will continue to improve throughout his career.

Good, I hope Chung becomes a terror for WR's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back