PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Return of Chad ... Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all of the folks that defended Chad Johnson with insults and pathetic arguments all season in here should bury their heads in shame as far as any objective football conversation goes.

Chad played like a bum all season long and was washed up years ago. I can't believe that Belichick's judgment was this poor last off season and this year.
Add Albert Haynesworth to that list.

I still like Chad Johnson the personality. But Chad Johnson the player was of little help. The Donald Hayes comparison is spot on.

On the one hand, I want to say he was at a disadvantage not having much practice time with Brady due to the lockout. But on the other hand, I know that Jabar Gaffney joined the Patriots mid-season, and was the team's most productive receiving target in the playoff that same year.

I still like Chad Johnson the personality. But Chad Johnson the player was of little help. The Donald Hayes comparison is spot on.

On the one hand, I want to say he was at a disadvantage not having much practice time with Brady due to the lockout. But on the other hand, I know that Jabar Gaffney joined the Patriots mid-season, and was the team's most productive receiving target in the playoff that same year.
Jabar Gaffney 2006 salary cap charge - $412,941

Chad Ochostinko 2011 salary cap charge - $2,838,913

Chad Ochostinko talks a really, really, really good game. Hook, line, sinker!

Don't care about his name as long as he changes his address.:mad:

You guys have it all wrong. If he can study and learn, take a pay cut, he's the perfect 3rd WR. We still need a legit #1, but Chad is better than most anything else out there as a #3 WR if he can get it together this year.

Nobody pays #3 WRs 6 million per year. That's a colossal waste of resources in a cap economy NFL.

I think we save 1.5m on the cap if we cut him?
To me that little cap savings says keep him, hopefully he can learn the playbook, and if not figure out a way to make him useful -- have him line up next to the pats side and have a coach tell him what the play is if it gets to that point, with no option routes.

A coaches job is to put their players in the best position to produce. I feel like this staff fails to do that with talented but not mentally sharp receivers.

$1.5 million is a lot of money on the cap. Here a few guys whose 2011 cap figure was less than $1.5 million: Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Patrick Chung, Kyle Arrington, Brandon Spikes, Nate Solder, Sebastian Vollmer, Rob Ninkovich, Danny Woodhead, Julian Edelman, Marcus Cannon and both kickers.

Ochocinco's production demands he be cut and Belichick use it on a free agent or a draft selection.

$1.5 million is a lot of money on the cap. Here a few guys whose 2011 cap figure was less than $1.5 million: Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Patrick Chung, Kyle Arrington, Brandon Spikes, Nate Solder, Sebastian Vollmer, Rob Ninkovich, Danny Woodhead, Julian Edelman, Marcus Cannon and both kickers.

Ochocinco's production demands he be cut and Belichick use it on a free agent or a draft selection.

If you can get another gronk/hernandez/chung/spikes/solder/vollmer for 1.5 million I'd be all for it; but that's unlikely to happen in free agency or va a trade.
Not sure if I'd trade Ocho for a nink/woodhead/edelmen type since our team needs players that are much better than that for those positions and I still view Chad as having potential upside.

Without looking up the numbers but certainly when considering bang-for-the-buck,

wasn't run-out-of-town-on-a-rail megabust WR Chad Jackson a whole lot more productive than Chad Ochocinco/Chad Johnson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back