PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Return of Burgess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't like Ninkovich's body language at all yesterday. He wasn't playing with any confidence, surprising for someone who was all but handed the opportunity to earn a starting job. I agree he's in trouble.
You are kidding right? You are judging the player by how you perceive his body language????????????????

Yes, we all need to see more.

What is YOUR current assessment. Who is most likely to be cut: Murrell, Ninkovich or Woods? I think that the answer AS OF NOW is Ninkovich.

Who do YOU think are the better special teamers among the three. I think Woods and Murrell are more valuable on special teams that Ninkovich. What do YOU think?

You've decided Murrell is better than _____________ because he got one sack?
I think we need to see more of him to make that call.

I think they get rid of...Burgess. He's a year older and wasn't that good to begin with. They also don't like to reward people who blow off camp.

Also if he's "contemplating retirement", he's probably already gone mentally.

I think they get rid of...Burgess. He's a year older and wasn't that good to begin with. They also don't like to reward people who blow off camp.

Also if he's "contemplating retirement", he's probably already gone mentally.

We don't know why he missed training camp. For all you or me know it was because he a family member with a serious illness. Best to reserve judgement when you don't know all relevant facts concerning an issue.

What is YOUR current assessment. Who is most likely to be cut: Murrell, Ninkovich or Woods? I think that the answer AS OF NOW is Ninkovich.

Who do YOU think are the better special teamers among the three. I think Woods and Murrell are more valuable on special teams that Ninkovich. What do YOU think?
I think Woods' production on special teams can easily be replaced, and Ninkovich is superior enough as a defensive player to warrant keeping him over PW. He looked better last year than Woods ever has, and I like Woods.

I think Woods' production on special teams can easily be replaced, and Ninkovich is superior enough as a defensive player to warrant keeping him over PW. He looked better last year than Woods ever has, and I like Woods.

Woods is better against the run, and he's a quality special teams player. Ninkovich had 1 sack last year.

How does that make Ninkovich superior?

With Warren out for the year and the fact we are playing in a 3-4 this year I think Bugress will be considered a DE. The other OLBs are safe.

I can hear it now...Manning buggered by Bugress! Patriots ball!

The OLB spots are really tough for me to judge right now. I don't think there is a lock for the 53 man roster outside of Banta Cain.

Cunningham- He's a lock to not get cut, but is he a lock to make the 53? With his current injury, the Patriots could put him on IR. The Pats have put young guys on IR with relatively minor injuries in the past. If the Pats don't view Cunningham as ready to contribute as a rooke, they could go that route again. That's really just wild speculation on my part though, as I think Cunningham is the 2nd most likely guy to be on the roster at OLB behind TBC. The big question is whether or not he's active on gamedays.

Woods- Hasn't shown much as a base defender, but has the best size of any of our OLB candidates as well as the most experience in the defense. How much does that matter if he's not effective on the field? Where he has been effective is on special teams and with most/all of the Patriots veteran special teamers in a battle to make the roster, I have to believe the Pats will keep a minimum of one of their special teams leaders from past season. My own opinion is that Woods offers the best combination of base down talent and special teams ability out of the group that includes Woods, Aiken, Alexander, and Slater.

Ninkovich- IMHO, he was better at OLB than Woods. That said, he doesn't appear to be the answer as a starter and is not an elite special teams player. His opportunity to make the team is to carve out a role on defense.

Burgess- I am torn on whether I expect Burgess to make the team or not. The fact that the Patriots are even allowing him to come to camp and never closed the door on him during the past two weeks tells me they want him back. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Patriots cut him or for Burgess to decide after a week or two that he really doesn't want to play football any more. My expectations for Burgess have significantly diminished after he contemplated retirement. Once guys do that, they usually don't play at a high level again unless they are Favre.

Murrell- No idea what to expect from him. The Jets didn't make a real push to keep him and I don't know enough about his special teams ability to say whether or not he's a standout in that area. Starting ahead of Ninkovich and Woods in the preseason has to mean something, but I am not sure what.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats keep only 4 OLB's and use Guyton or Spikes outside in certain packages.

Camp or not, I'm glad he decided to come back. We need what he brings to the table . . . no matter how much or how little some think he brings.

You are kidding right? You are judging the player by how you perceive his body language????????????????

Where were you in 2006?
We had 500-post threads on body language.
Oh yes we do judge that!

Hopefully next week the depth at OLB is two major players deeper.

Even if Burgess only offers plays from a specific package, that improves depth.
As argued much of the off-season, while his season was nothing special, his last four games were better.

The odd Belichick quote, seemingly placing him a step above McGinest, Vrabel, and Colvin, and Belichick almost killing the fatted calf upon his return says something about how he sees Burgess. And this is no Franconacrush on veterans -- Belichick traded Vrabel to the lowly Chiefs for almost nothing, watched McGinest limp over to the Browns, and severed ties with Thomas while patiently awaiting the return of Burgess.

Ninkovich is also the backup long snapper. I am not sure if that merits consideration. If he is a almost as good as Woods/Murrell as a LB and almost as good on ST and is the back up long snapper I would say Ninkovich is kept over the others.

Regardless, whom ever doesn't make it will be playing in KC, or Denver within 24 hours.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye