Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Republicans Latest Fast-Rising Star

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +538 / 9 / -4

#24 Jersey

Well, this ought to be an interesting "race."

Not only is she young and pretty, she's fast, too.

Kristi Noem, 38, a mother of three and a state legislator, is widely considered to be one of the GOP's strongest candidates this year. She was recently featured in a front page Washington Post profile of the South Dakota race and topped our list of the "Next Women to Watch" in the 2010 election cycle because of her experience as assistant majority leader in the South Dakota House of Representatives and her strong showing in polls that have her leading Herseth Sandlin.

According to local news reports, Noem's lifetime driving record includes 20 speeding tickets, three stop sign violations, two seat belt violations, and a citation for failing to carry her driver's license. She has also received six notices for failing to appear in court and two arrest warrants for failing to pay fines related to her tickets. She was stopped by police earlier this year for driving 94 mph.

Kristi Noem, Rising GOP Star, Under Fire for 20 Speeding Tickets
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  2. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Must be political profiling:p
  3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +538 / 9 / -4

#24 Jersey

It might just be a South Dakota Republican pre-requisite to being an elected congressman.

In 2003, Bill Janklow, the state's congressman and former four-term governor, was convicted of second-degree manslaughter after he was involved in a fatal collision in rural South Dakota. Police said the congressman was driving more than 65 mph when failed to stop at a stop sign, hitting a motorcyclist, who died instantly. Janklow had 12 speeding tickets before that accident.
  4. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +505 / 6 / -7

Don't forget Chris Christie! His star has taken a beating recently.
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 6 / -2

She is kinda hot.

[​IMG]

I must have had a dozen speeding tickets before my 28th birthday. Good thing I'm not running for office.
  6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +538 / 9 / -4

#24 Jersey

No Doubt!!

She's also 10 years older than 28, RW. There IS something to be said for maturity, yanno.

The tickets are bad enough - the disregard for paying them and for blowing off court appearances, however, that's another story.

How seriously do you think she'd take other offenses such as bribery, larceny, voting fraud, tax evasion, etc.?
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +569 / 2 / -9

They should elect her as Governor than she won't have to drive she will have a State Police Driver, she'll be in the back seat.
  8. iapatsfan

iapatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +170 / 26 / -10

Do you think the servers could handle a list of the Democrats Latest Fast-Falling Star? The list would be pretty extensive.
  9. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +505 / 6 / -7

10. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Speeding tickets are not going to be a factor for Kristi Noem when she is running against an opponent in South Dakota who has voted with Pelosi 84% of the time.

Herseth Sandlin August 17 Dakotafest farm Show Debate.
    I doubt the populace of her district believes that Pelosi's agenda is in the middle of the political spectrum.
  11. iapatsfan

iapatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +170 / 26 / -10

12. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +505 / 6 / -7

Not really. She had prepared remarks, anyway.

This whole "Obama needs a teleprompter" meme is a myth, regardless, as anyone who follows politics would know.
  13. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +294 / 10 / -26

So you take the word of a scofflaw??? Interesting your standards of truth...
  14. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What's wrong with Christie? He's better off than Blumenthal.
  15. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Except when you see him speak off teleprompter, like in the debates...
  16. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

She hasn't been on any radar I've see for a "star" but nice try there.
  17. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +505 / 6 / -7

:confused:

He does fine in debates. Certainly better than McCain did.
  18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 6 / -2

I'm in my mid 30's now, and my foot isn't as heavy as it used to be. I still speed though, just like the majority of people in here do. Regardless, this thread is the first time I've ever seen this womans name. I couldn't tell you where she stands on any position, but I do know some positions I'd like to...nevermind. :D

I think the 20(?) speeding tickets, and whatever related issues she's had with paying them, are something a voter should take into consideration, when attempting to guage a candidates charactor. However, it shouldn't act as a be all, end all, in determining one's support. At least it's not with me. I'm done looking for perfect people as candidates for office, cuz doing so only leaves one disappointed. Plus, being in my mid 30's now, I'm more reflective of how stupid some of the things I've done in the past, and maybe still do, truly are. So while I think it's something prospective voters should consider, I wouldn't (and this is me) put it on the same level as a corruption charge persay. To each their own though. Everyone is entitled to weigh candidates, and their resumes, as they deem fit.
  19. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Then truth lies in Sandlin's voting record, that is what this race is being decided on. Sandlin refuses to pledge to repeal or not fund Obamacare, the vast majority of South Dakotans want a representative that is willing to. Sandlin voted for federal funding of abortions, South Dakotans do not want that. It is a case of thruths trumping speeding tickets.
  20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +538 / 9 / -4

#24 Jersey

I'm not sure I'd put it on the same level as a corruption charge, either, but I do think that by the time you're 38 years old, as this candidate is, you should have learned some things....and one of those things you should have learned is that you shouldn't do things you're not good at. Obviously, she's not good at knowing that when you drive 94 miles an hour, you get caught. 28 tickets later and she still hasn't caught on? Speaks of some mental slowness to me, but, as you say, maybe that's just me.

I think what really bothers me is the fact that she's got three kids, 2 of teen agers fast approaching driver's age, and she's still lead-footing it and she's still neglecting to attend court hearings and pay her fines. If you don't care what kind of message you send your very own children how do you care how the rest of the world perceives you?

Personally speaking, I put much more stock in what people (politicians included) actually do than in what they say. To me, the fact that she's kept on speeding after 28 violations, blew off court dates and refused to pay fines on time speaks loudly to her having an attitude which says, "F-U. I can and will do whatever I want, whenever I want, where ever I want and nothing you can do will stop me."

It's just not the attitude I'd want my congressperson to possess.

But, as you say, that's just me. I wouldn't have voted for Clinton again, nor, if I lived in MA would I have voted for Teddy, either, regardless of their contrition. I could forgive them, I could even admire some of the things they did post screw-up, but I couldn't have voted for them. I'm pretty unforgiving that way. "Past practice" goes a long way with me when it comes to trusting someone.