PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Refs Screwed the Bears?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth, I do recall a PI call that I thought the Bears should have gotten, relatively early, 2nd quarter possibly even 1st quarter. It may even have been in the endzone.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but I remember covering my eyes for what seemed a sure flag and being amazed it didn't come. Does anyone else remember this, or am I starting to have Patriots-based dreams now?

The play you are refering to was a case of a receiver getting tangled up in his own feet, and falling down. There was a Pats defender near but not touching him at all. I looked at this a couple of times in slow motion, because I thought it was a PI case. But on review the ref was correct. The ref (BJ ?), was right there within ten feet eyeing the play and he was the one to immediately waive of any PI call from elsewhere (a` la the Denver playoff game, where a ref 20 yards away threw the flag and wouldn't listen to the official next to it, say no foul)

Keegs, tell the Bears fans about that statue of Walt Coleman in the Boston Commons.

Bears fans need to get over it..........They couldnt beat a Patriots team missing both it's starting ILB's and BOTH Safeties. They need to give it a rest out there in J.V. Land.

Last edited:
Bears fans should be thrilled the team had a chance to win when the only way they could stop the other team was via turnover.

That's the story of their season. Only they weren't playing Arizona this time. Bears fans probably bought the whole "team of destiny" thing hook, line and sinker.

But they should take heart. Against the NFC, they ARE a juggernaut! And overall, they are a damn good defense...I have no problem saying they are the best defense in the league.

bsbsbsbsbsmh6.gif

'Nuff said.

There is absolutely NO play on the ball on that CJ play by the Bears defender. That's not even close.

I live in Illinois. 99% of my friends are Bears fans. All i keep hearing from them is how the refs screwed DA BEARS over...

WTF?!>!??!??

HAS ANYONE ELSE HEARD THIS?

I heard the same thing but assumed they were speaking literally - not figuratively. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

What goes on after the game, inside the locker room or underneath the stadium is their business and no one else's.

I re-watched the game yesterday. The Hobbs PI was reasonable, but the Hawkins one was COMPLETE bogus.

Keegs - hello from an ex-Illinois type (Decatur)

Probably there are two reasonable conclusions compared to heated fan impressions:

The referees continue to have a real struggle this season (and last) with PI calls. My own impression is that the Manning et al rule emphasis really screwed up the refs heads and they are still trying to get it all worked out. Sure is an ugly miserable situation until they do.

That being said, the Bears fans are being homer fans if they don't look at it and say there were bad calls on both sides that benefitted both teams unreasonably.

As to whether it was worse for one team or the other, that's hard to say since each such play changes the situation for the rest of the game. My impression (which might be poor since I haven't done the slo-mo and tried to add it all up) is that it was actually worse for New England since the bad calls against New England resulted in Bears scores and the non-calls against Chicago probably cost the Patriots at least two scores.

Fans WANT to be unrealistic and angry and find excuses when their team loses. I'll probably get crunched for saying so, but that includes a LOT of NE Pats fans with respect to referee calls in games the Pats lost.

Fans WANT to be unrealistic and angry and find excuses when their team loses. I'll probably get crunched for saying so, but that includes a LOT of NE Pats fans with respect to referee calls in games the Pats lost.

Man, I swear you must have a family member that's a NFL ref or something. Hey, I applaud your attempt to be objective in dealing with officiating, but let us Tommy Heinsohns whine in peace!

The Pats, due to their style of play, have been the victim to changes in the rules over the last few years. That's me being objective. If I weren't, I'd say the refs hate the Pats and they conspire against us, and that the only good ref is a dead ref. :)

No doubt the Bears got the benefit of accurate replay calls on the two overturned completions, and they received the benefit of the referee's doubt on the Hawkins PI call and on the non-call of PI on the dude covering Jackson on the long bomb ( a pass that jackson still could, maybe even should have caught. Hey, the refs never made anyone a superstar, put your hands in there and grab the ball, Chad!).

The Pat's did get away with clear PI on Hobbs against Berrian in the endzone when Hobbs snuck his left hand around Berrian's back and yanked on him the very instant the ball arrived. I've watched the play numerous times, Hobbs intentionally used an illegal move to disrupt the receiver.

Watched closely you can also see a few blatant holding penalties against the Bears while protecting Grossman. None were called but that is little surprise since offensive holding seems to be called evry little lately.

the Bears hardly got screwed by the refs, if anything the Pats suffered the worst calls. but I don't think the refs 'sucked' as a few here suggest. there have been much worse jobs of refereeing than we saw this week. overall, I'd give them a B-, I'd rather have a few bogus calls in a game like this week where the boys are just left alone to play ball!

Last edited:
The refs handed them 10 points, and let them get away with the only cut and dry PI the whole game.

But what ever.

I guess the Steelers think they got screwed in SB 40 too huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back