PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The refs killed us AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm as big a defender of the refs as there is, but I was shocked when no PI was called on Reche in the end zone. I already had it booked. I couldn't believe it, and assumed that replay would show I missed something. But I didn't. It's kind of lame to say, but even at that level, there's something to needing to sell the ref. I think if Reche had popped up making the flag throwing motion there and acting outraged, he might have gotten the call. He took the ref off the hook with his reaction.

That said, I put that firmly in the category of calls that go both ways during the course of a game. The refs didn't win this game, the colts did.

The play that's tearing me up is the 12 men call. The refs had nothing to do with that (other than calling it). That was on us.

Last edited:
Yes -there were some questionable calls.

But the Patriots still had every opportunity to win the game and didn't.

The right team is going to the Super Bowl.

No whining, no excuses from me. Congratulations Colts.

I just wanted a fair game that is all.........The Hell with the Colts

The non-call on that PI on Caldwell was atrocious. For them to get a first down when Hobbs doesn't even touch the WR and later in the game them getting away with pushing Caldwell in the endzone... it just pisses me off thinking about it. But what pisses me off more is not being able to put them away and making Chargers-esque mistakes like dropping wide open passes. We lost but the refs sure didn't help us.

Actually I agree on the non call when the Colts interfered with Caldwell. That was definitely interference. By the way, Caldwell is a class act. Dude played a helluva game against his ex-employer the Chargers and didn't rub their faces in it.

pao

I understand they won, but it would be nice to say The game was evenly played when the refs had a big hand in it again...I am getting tired of the REF's not being accountable and certains call being reviewable and others not.

:bricks:

You are right,everyone that watched the game as a Pat's fan knows it. We know had the PI on Hobbs not been called Brady would be looking for a FG to tie on that last drive. Big difference,and yes there were other calls too. But **** it.It's over and done with.

I will not make excusses. The team blew a huge playoff lead. However, I think it is fair to say that the officials played a huge roll in this game. They were terrible and they killed us in key spots. The Steelers played through a similar s**t storm last year, this year the Pats did not. Hell of a season, pay Assante.

Ok, No one else is saying it, so I am....The REFS wanted Pay-A-Ton to win...

Before you start jumping down my throat, lets take a quick look at a few key plays:

1) Pass Interference on Hobbs in the End Zone, Ball placed on the one.

Um...since when does jumping straight up, not touching the reciever at all and the ball hitting your back become Pass interfeierence => result led to 7 Points. It was face guarding. He never turned to find the ball. DPI every time.

2) 3rd and 6 Colts Drive, an Offsides penalty on Pats gives the Colts a first down

Ok, last Time I checked, Offsides was only worth 5 yards, not 6? The refs said the spot was wrong and just gave it to them...=> result led to 7 Points

3) Offensive Pass Interference on Troy Brown after Watson had a first down at the 19 You are Correct here.

...That is so bogus after the Hobbs call, Troy didn't even touch him after 5 yards???? led to us punting after another bogus motion call and a Brady sack => Result No Pats TD and put us out of even FG range!

4) Banta-Cain gets hit with a roughing the passer Penalty, 15 yards and first down Hit to teh QB head gets call every time.

I do admit that Banta-Cain was hitting Manning hard, but on that exact call he was blocked and just managed to bump him with his back...Ummm that was pure crap => result led to 7 Points

And the 2 Illegal motion and shift calls we had against us at critical times that were called when we had first downs, the one at the end of the game really stings...we could have run the clock out!

It was the pats to win or lose in the end, but they wouldn't be in that spot if the refs didn't put them there....How many times in critical games have the refs cost us in the past 2 years? how many Rule changes have they made because of us? lets face it, they want some one else to win, not the PATS.
:bricks:

You are 1 for three in your statements. The other one , I don't know about.

The one on Troy was very costly.

The non-call on that PI on Caldwell was atrocious. For them to get a first down when Hobbs doesn't even touch the WR and later in the game them getting away with pushing Caldwell in the endzone... it just pisses me off thinking about it. But what pisses me off more is not being able to put them away and making Chargers-esque mistakes like dropping wide open passes. We lost but the refs sure didn't help us.

Couldn't agree more, I was screaming at the tv 'Pass Interference' but nothing, not even the announcers said anything. I was in shock especially after the Hobbs call!!

Anyway I blame the defense for this loss. How do you BLOW a 21-6 halftime lead? Why play 10 yards off the receivers and NO coverage on the TEs and RBs???

BAD D

Last edited:
It looked to me like Hobbs clearly pushed the guy in the End Zone. My problem with the play is the rule, not the call. I think there's no way Wayne(?) catches the ball and the flag should have been picked up. I do think the zebras correctly applied the crappy rule though. My guess is that Hobbs was going for PI there anyway because he was expecting that Manning was about to drop the ball into Wayne's pocket.

Is it just me or didn't it seem pretty clear that when Sey jumped early that the Colt guy didn't react to him; but instead jumped at the chance at a cheap 5 yards? Isn't that supposed to be a false start?

I gotta give the refs some credit on Hobbs' other incident in the end zone though. When I saw it I was sure it was PI. They don't get full points for that one because they called it incidental 'tangling of feet' when they should have announced that the receiver tripped over the goal line:D

Ok, let's try and get one thing straight here, especially Patsfaninaz and Patsnutme. THERE IS NO SUCH THING IN THE NFL ABOUT FACE GUARDING! There used to be a rule like that but hasn't been around for years. As long as the defender doesn't touch the receiver (which Hobbs didn't as shown by replay) and the ball hits him in the back, arms, head, etc. there is no penalty. Don't confuse this with if the defender hits the receiver and doesn't even try to look back to the ball, that's pass interference. Now if the defender is looking back at the ball and trying to make a catch (defender has just as much right to the ball as the receiver) and hits the receiver, then that too isn't a penalty. Regardless, it's past and it's going to be a long off-season.

I disagree with the refs calling a great game. LET'S ALL CONSIDER THIS FOR EVERYONE READING THIS THREAD AND TAKE A VOTE. IF THE NON-CALL THAT THE ANNOUNCERS EVEN SUGGESTED AS BAD, NOT BEING CALLED ON THE
CALDWELL PASS IN THE ENDZONE ON THE LAST VERY IMPORTANT PATS DRIVE IS MADE CORRECTLY, THE PATS HAVE THE BALL ON THE ONE AND 99% CHANCE TO SCORE A TD. NOW THE LAST COLT TD IS MUTE. BRADY ONLY HAS TO GO ANOTHER 15 YARDS OR SO FOR A FG FROM THE COLTS 40 WITH A TIME OUT AND 24 SECONDS.I'D TAKE THOSE ODDS WITH BRADY.

LETS VOTE: ISSUE WITH THE REFS: IF THAT WAS THE PATS DEFENDING HARRISON OR WAYNE, HOW MANY PEOPLE IN THE FREE WORLD WOULD SAY THAT THE REFS WOULD CALL THAT PI NO QUESTION, OR POLLIAN HAS A STROKE? WHY DIDN'T MR. "HOPE THERE WON'T BE ANY ROUGH STUFF DOWN THE FIELD ON OUR RECEIVERS" PILLIAN COMPLAIN ABOUT THAT ONE?

THE TBC HIT IN SUCH AN IMPORTANT POINT IN THE GAME? B.S. FRIENDS! TROY BROWN GETS CALLED ON AN OFFENSIVE P.I.? WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME THAT WAS CALLED IN SUCH AN IMPORTANT GAME AND DO WE NEED TO GO TO THE NBA RULES AND ACKNOWLEDGE HE WAS MOVING HIS FEET TO ATTACK TB SO HOW CAN IT BE OFFENSIVE. WANTA SEE A PICK? LOOK AT LAST WEEKS GAME WHEN GATES CATCHES THAT PASS AND HEADS TO THE SIDELINE. HIS PICK TO GET OPEN MADE TB'S "PICK" LOOK LIKE PATTY CAKE. EVERYONE HAS A BAD DAY BUT LOOK AT THE CALLS. TOO ONE SIDED FOR THE PATS TO HOLD ON. THE COLTS PLAYED WELL TO COME BACK BUT THEY DID NEED THE REFS HELP TOO.

I WILL SAY THAT THE HOBBS P.I. WAS CORRECT BECAUSE HE DID FACE GUARD. HE KEEPS HIS HANDS DOWN IT HITS HIM IN THE BACK AND NO FOUL.
I HAVE TO SAY THE KID REALLY TRIED HARD YESTERDAY AND FOR THE MOST PART, PLAYED WELL AND HAD SOME NICE RETURNS.
DW Toys

WHY WAS ALEXANDER ONE ON ONE WITH ANY RECEIVER THAT LAST SERIES? WHERE WAS THE SAFETY?
DW Toys

That is my only complaint. That was easy to see as a PI. The refs have to maintain consistency. If they're going to allow the Colts to maul our receivers, then they have to allow it on both sides of the ball.

I am impressed with the participants here. I really admire your not laying it on the refs. I am a Charger fan and we had some really classless Pats fans all week at the Charger forum leading up to yesterday's game. I tip my cap to all that refused to blame the refs. GREAT Game, I am sorry for your loss.

pao

You should read this board with all the classless Charger fans before and after last week's game.

Whatever the refs did, it does no good to blame them. We lost because the Colts outscored us, fair and square. They deserve to go to the SB this year. Even when you go back to the SB last year, look at the Seahawks' mistakes, dropped passes and poor D at times. None of that was the refs' fault.

I'm as big a defender of the refs as there is, but I was shocked when no PI was called on Reche in the end zone. I already had it booked. I couldn't believe it, and assumed that replay would show I missed something. But I didn't. It's kind of lame to say, but even at that level, there's something to needing to sell the ref. I think if Reche had popped up making the flag throwing motion there and acting outraged, he might have gotten the call. He took the ref off the hook with his reaction.

That said, I put that firmly in the category of calls that go both ways during the course of a game. The refs didn't win this game, the colts did.

The play that's tearing me up is the 12 men call. The refs had nothing to do with that (other than calling it). That was on us.

The receiver isn't always aware he's being mauled. Reche was going for the ball. Sometimes, you almost wish these guys had a bit of soccer player in them. If Reche stopped fighting the mauling and just went with it, it would have been PI.

You are 1 for three in your statements. The other one , I don't know about.

The one on Troy was very costly.

Face guarding is not a penalty, it is in the rule book, and banta-Cain didn't touch mannings head, look at the tape...

Whatever the refs did, it does no good to blame them. We lost because the Colts outscored us, fair and square. They deserve to go to the SB this year. Even when you go back to the SB last year, look at the Seahawks' mistakes, dropped passes and poor D at times. None of that was the refs' fault.

That's funny. I think it was the ref's fault. I think the Seahawks have a bigger complaint than we do.

Ok, let's try and get one thing straight here, especially Patsfaninaz and Patsnutme. THERE IS NO SUCH THING IN THE NFL ABOUT FACE GUARDING! There used to be a rule like that but hasn't been around for years. As long as the defender doesn't touch the receiver (which Hobbs didn't as shown by replay) and the ball hits him in the back, arms, head, etc. there is no penalty. Don't confuse this with if the defender hits the receiver and doesn't even try to look back to the ball, that's pass interference. Now if the defender is looking back at the ball and trying to make a catch (defender has just as much right to the ball as the receiver) and hits the receiver, then that too isn't a penalty. Regardless, it's past and it's going to be a long off-season.

That's definitely right -- there must be contact. I thought there clearly was, but maybe replay showed it differently.

That's funny. I think it was the ref's fault. I think the Seahawks have a bigger complaint than we do.

There was some awful refereeing in that game but the refs didn't drop the passes on Jerramy Stevens' behalf, fail to stop Willie Parker or fail to stop Roethlisberger's TD pass. There IS a problem with the standard of refereeing but I submit that it effects both sides.

I will not blame the officials, however, perhaps the competition committee does have to look at review on pass interference penalties in the end zone. Another factor that only applies to domes is that there has to be a standard set for the temperature range allowed on the field. The reason that I am saying this is that the tv announcers mentioned how hot it was in the dome during the second half. Perhaps NaPolian was using the climate control system as a weapon again? Maybe the NFL needs to station an official near the climate control operating panels, or set the system before the game and then seal the controls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes