PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The reason why Marquise Hill is still on this team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to see some heated discussion with this topic, had never guessed it would get so heated, I love it!

Right now I am on the fence with this guy. I, like many of you, have yet to see anything that would make me believe he needs to stay on this team, but for those of you who say you can find a guy with his size easily, I can't seem to find one guy in the NFL draft that fits his position, so that makes me think that he will stay to see if he can contribute at all.

Let him play in Europe.
If you cant`t play there you can`t play anywhere.

Last edited:
Good to see some heated discussion with this topic, had never guessed it would get so heated, I love it!

Right now I am on the fence with this guy. I, like many of you, have yet to see anything that would make me believe he needs to stay on this team, but for those of you who say you can find a guy with his size easily, I can't seem to find one guy in the NFL draft that fits his position, so that makes me think that he will stay to see if he can contribute at all.
They are slim pickings in this draft, but I like Adam Carriker (Nebraska) after seeing him in the Senior Bowl. I also wouldn't mind Amobi Okoye for development behind Vince, but that's another issue. I expect both to be gone before the Pats pick, so far I haven't found anyone in later rounds who might back up at DE. There are a couple NT candidates to challenge Smitty.

Never have either.

We never will, either.

So what's the point in keeping him around? Based on his brief apperances I don't believe he has what it takes to fill in if Warren or Seymour get on the IR. I think you're trying to say that we haven't seen enough of him to tell that just yet. Would you have confidence in Hill if he was called upon?

On the CBS sportsline web page team reports, the author says that he thinks Hill has played his last game as a Patriot.

I think we can all agree that the only need on this defensive line is a backup nose tackle. Wright is an emergency nose tackle, not a backup. This need is why they traded Bethel Johnson for Jonathon Sullivan last year.

Of the lineman currently on the Patriots, Marquise Hill is the most likely to be cut to fill this need. Le Kevin Smith is a potential backup nose tackle. He also played some end this preseason. Hill plays the same position as Wright, and Wright plays it better and is more versatile besides. If the Pats find another nose tackle better than Le Kevin Smith, Hill's probably the most likely cut.

So what's the point in keeping him around? Based on his brief apperances I don't believe he has what it takes to fill in if Warren or Seymour get on the IR. I think you're trying to say that we haven't seen enough of him to tell that just yet. Would you have confidence in Hill if he was called upon?

You put almost anyone short of a Julius Peppers in place of Marquise Hill, and you have an identical result.

I would be in favor of replacing him with an established veteran, but then again, that would be going against my theory that the Pats need to get younger.

Drafting another 4-3 DT/3-4 DE WILL produce the EXACT same result.

Simply put, no, I would not have confidence in him. He hasn't had a decent chance to develop, nor will he ever with the Patriots. You can't argue that.

I half-blame BB & co, not Hill. He IS a "bust" in that sense. If the Pats had drafted a QB in the 1st round in 2004, we're talking the SAME THING. And if that QB stuck around for 4 or 5 years and "didn't do anything" that wouldn't mean that player was "bad." When the Pats drafted him, Wilfork had just been taken hours before, Green was just coming in, and Warren had only started a handful of games. He was, quite frankly, a risky INSURANCE policy. The Pats turned out not to need it, thanks to the development of Warren, Wilfork, and Green.

The fact of the matter remains the same. You put Santonio Thomas, you put one of those college names Box was floating around (...never heard of them...), and you get the same result.

With such amazingly good starting DLs, the Pats are in quite a predicament in regards to their emergency DE spot. Do you go with a younger player with potential, where you'll NEVER likely see it develop with VERY limited playing time? Or do you go with an older player who you'd be more comfortable starting in an emergency but has no upside?

Hill plays the same position as Wright, and Wright plays it better and is more versatile besides.

That statement is false.

Wright has seen time at DE because Hill has been inactive because Green, Seymour, and Warren have been active and because Wright is the backup NT.

Last edited:
That statement is false.

Wright has seen time at DE because Hill has been inactive because Green, Seymour, and Warren have been active and because Wright is the backup NT.

Eh. Based on how Wright go slid backwards in the San Diego game in short yardage situations, I don't see him as the backup at nose going forward. I think the Pats would improve the quality of the line if they found a bigger clogger for that position - perhaps it will be Le Kevin, who is about as tall as Wilfork. Wright is 6-4, a little over 300 pounds, which seems like the body type for a 3-4 end. He's played well there, certainly no worse than Hill.

Otherwise the Pats will just stay put with what they got.

Last edited:
You put almost anyone short of a Julius Peppers in place of Marquise Hill, and you have an identical result.

I would be in favor of replacing him with an established veteran, but then again, that would be going against my theory that the Pats need to get younger.

Drafting another 4-3 DT/3-4 DE WILL produce the EXACT same result.

Simply put, no, I would not have confidence in him. He hasn't had a decent chance to develop, nor will he ever with the Patriots. You can't argue that.

I half-blame BB & co, not Hill. He IS a "bust" in that sense. If the Pats had drafted a QB in the 1st round in 2004, we're talking the SAME THING. And if that QB stuck around for 4 or 5 years and "didn't do anything" that wouldn't mean that player was "bad." When the Pats drafted him, Wilfork had just been taken hours before, Green was just coming in, and Warren had only started a handful of games. He was, quite frankly, a risky INSURANCE policy. The Pats turned out not to need it, thanks to the development of Warren, Wilfork, and Green.

The fact of the matter remains the same. You put Santonio Thomas, you put one of those college names Box was floating around (...never heard of them...), and you get the same result.

With such amazingly good starting DLs, the Pats are in quite a predicament in regards to their emergency DE spot. Do you go with a younger player with potential, where you'll NEVER likely see it develop with VERY limited playing time? Or do you go with an older player who you'd be more comfortable starting in an emergency but has no upside?

But I think what most people are getting at, is that we can have an emergency DE who looks promising instead of like a bust. Perhaps if S. Thomas were given the chance he'd do more out there than Hill has done. I'm no proponent of drafting another DE early, however I think we should give it another shot in the later rounds.

But I think what most people are getting at, is that we can have an emergency DE who looks promising instead of like a bust. Perhaps if S. Thomas were given the chance he'd do more out there than Hill has done. I'm no proponent of drafting another DE early, however I think we should give it another shot in the later rounds.

Define wishful thinking:

"Not wanting another DE draftee on the Patriots look like a bust."

Eh. Based on how Wright go slid backwards in the San Diego game in short yardage situations, I don't see him as the backup at nose going forward. I think the Pats would improve the quality of the line if they found a bigger clogger for that position - perhaps it will be Le Kevin, who is about as tall as Wilfork. Wright is 6-4, a little over 300 pounds, which seems like the body type for a 3-4 end. He's played well there, certainly no worse than Hill.

Otherwise the Pats will just stay put with what they got.

Precisely.

If another NT comes into the mix and becomes the #2, and Le Kevin plays the part of Marquise Hill at NT for the next few years, then you're spot on.

Then, Wright would move outside, becoming the 4th, or emergency, DE. If Hill can't beat him out, then he gets cut. Simple as that. Yet, Wright would be demoted to Hill's present spot. Will we be calling for Wright's cut then? Wright only would have the benefit of the doubt because he showed something as a NT before his hypothetical full-time switch to DE...4th DE.

But let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

Still, drafting a NT wouldn't make sense either, considering where Wilfork is and will be. The better option, IMO, would be a Traylor-type, circa 2004. No matter how you look at it, drafting another high-to-mid DL is just setting you up for a letdown.

(P.S. - I was ready to answer who of Wright, Hill, or Green, was the least valuable. The answer to that question, Hill, was obvious. :D)

Last edited:
Precisely.

If another NT comes into the mix and becomes the #2

This argument might become interesting draft day if Alan Branch slips. Yes, I know how good he is, and its very unlikely but Wilfork was a top-10 pick this time of year last year. Nagata (from Oregon) was projected top-10 and slipped to like 14th I believe.

This argument might become interesting draft day if Alan Branch slips. Yes, I know how good he is, and its very unlikely but Wilfork was a top-10 pick this time of year last year. Nagata (from Oregon) was projected top-10 and slipped to like 14th I believe.

They won't draft a NT in the 1st round. No way in hell.

you do not draft backups in the first round. I know that Watson and Maroney were technically backups when drafted, but we all know that it was short term and that they would still get decent playing time to develop into the started. A guy like Branch, even if he did fall (which he never will) would only get playing time if Wilfork got hurt. Wilfork is a young stud who does not need a 1st round pick sitting behind him.

Great, let's free up the roster spot for someone who will do the same exact thing as Marquise.

What the **** do you expect Marquise to do? Beat out Seymour and Warren for the starting spots? Steal playing time from them? He's the prime example of why drafting the best player available, not for need, isn't always the best.

Give me a break.

Mike Wright who's an undrafted FA is getting playing time before Hill. No I don't expect him to beat out any of the big 3 but by this time he should be dressing more than a couple of times a year and seeing some snaps.

I still wouldn't get rid of him but he's a major disappointment at this point.

Marquise Hill has proven to be a waste of time and money. Bethel Johnson was more productive in his three years with the New England Patriots than Marquise Hill, and Bethel Johnson was cut prior to his fourth season with the Patriots.

Marquise Hill has proven to be a waste of time and money. Bethel Johnson was more productive in his three years with the New England Patriots than Marquise Hill, and Bethel Johnson was cut prior to his fourth season with the Patriots.

But it wasn't Marquise's fault, it was however wanted to draft another DL in the 2nd round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes