Welcome to PatsFans.com

The real story of this election...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Richter, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Richter

Richter In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

is that a new era, a new generation of politics has begun. The baby-boomers and what's left of their parents are fading in terms of influence, and their children have set the agenda. Considering my disdain for what I consider to be a failure of a generation, my parent's generation, those people in their late forties, fifties and sixties now, I couldn't be happier. I approach Obama's administration with a degree of trepidation, especially in light of the fact that he may be unrestrained by a Democratic majority Congress, but also considerable hope for the potential it represents and may fulfill. It's going to be a deep hole to dig out of, but it is still possible, and this election seems to be a good start.

2. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

exactly new hope.

sad that Bush decided to raid the cookie jar the last few months he was in office.

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

I agree for the most part, and I also think we send a really powerful message to the rest of the world, much of which is mired in ethnic, racial, and religious battles. For our country to elect Obama is a moving and historic message to the rest of the world about tolerance and respect.

The only thing I disagree is with regard to people in their 60s, many of whom were involved in ending the Vietnam war, civil rights, gay rights, and women's rights.

4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,972 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Most of the world will always be way more biased than we are in America ... it's one of the things that makes us great. Freedom of speech and religion have taken us a very long way.

5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

The story is that "Republican" is a bad word for now. Nothing more. This is not a changing of the guard as exit polls showed when asked if people were "Conservative", "Moderate" or "Liberal". Liberal came in last.

6. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

republicans don't know who they are. that's what it comes down to

watch the GOP civil war come

7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

Right, no different than, what was it, '98 maybe for the Democrats. The country is at best center right and at worst down the middle center. The ebb and flow will always happen.

8. Richter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Spoken like someone still stuck in the past of those baby-boomers I mentioned. If this election does in fact portend the future of this country, those labels will become more and more irrelevant as time goes on. Rationalist and humanist are the labels that will be embraced, not conservative or liberal.

9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

Whatever. Polls still had 18-34 year olds about 50-50. Use whatever label you like, this was one election not a complete change of the American voter.

10. Richter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

And now that the real polls are coming out, it shows how full of crap you are. 18-29 year olds, aka my demographic, voted 66-33 Obama. Keep wallowing in the mire, it suits you.

11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

18-29 year olds did vote for Obama. But the next group, maybe it was 30-39 not 30-34 like I said, voted for McCain.

12. Richter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

30-44 year olds, the next demographic, went 52-46 Obama. Not the landslide of the younger demographic, but still a clear choice. McCain's traction was largely amongst voters 65 and older, who went 53-45 McCain. Go look at the exit polls anywhere, the numbers are clear and unequivocal. Now let's hope for Obama to be a centrist and please as many people as possible.

13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

I guess we saw different polls with different age groupings.

14. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,030 / 15 / -8

Broad brush terms: Hippies (who became Yuppies) and civil-rights activists were pioneers of integration. They came from somewhere else, inspired by a far-off ideal.

Their children were the wave of immigrants. They came to the territory first scouted out by the pioneers.

Richter's generation are natives to racial tolerance/acceptance/integration.

Very broad brush terms, as I said. When I was in my 20s, there was (every now and then) an integrated couple around. You knew these guys and you were amazed that to them, they were just "them," not some taboo coupling. Maybe 20 years before that, people coupled up across race lines to shock parents. Now it's really common to see, and the kids themselves do not seem at all conscious about the "melanin gap." Groups of friends are way more likely to be integrated for kids now than 20 years ago.

MLK said he might not get there with you, but we will get there. I think we took a big step toward "there" tonight.

I also know the demographic preference for that generation is pro-"us", pro-connectedness, against the labels of partisan politics.

Maybe it took an "us" generation to get past the divisiveness many trace back to the 60s. Like BF, I don't think the left/right labels are gone forever. I do think that the tasks ahead of us seem custom-made for a "we" movement. As Icy asked about... It IS like the Berlin Wall coming down: It came down, and the next day everybody in East Germany had to say "okay hold on now what comes with Capitalism? That's right I need to get a job... hold on we don't even have 'Help Wanteds' in our papers..." We have SO much to take care of starting in January. One would think that George II would recognize that and work with him between now and then. I don't think that will happen. But it would be nice.

Happy Election Night,

PFnV

15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

Not going to happen. He voted as a liberal. He ran as a centrist. He has a liberal Congress. You do the math.

16. Richter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Quite frankly, he barely voted at all, but that's beside the point. You're being a defeatist by assuming this scenario. He may be a liberal, but the one thing I do believe about Obama is that he will reach across the aisle, even with a liberal agenda, and land somewhere closer to the middle in terms of results. I would prefer that there were a few more checks and balances in place in the form of a more balanced Congress, but barring a twenty seat Senate majority, which looks unlikely right now, the current numbers won't spell doom. We lived through eight years of ridiculous, inflated spending with a so-called conservative in office, it can't get any worse in that regard.

17. Seymour93

Seymour93 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

:confused:

No they didn't. The only age group to vote for McCain were senior citizens.

18. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I too also think th ebaby boomer generation selfishly decried themselves so special, to the point wher ethey went into positions of power and took everything for themselves, sold out the youth and future generations with outsourcing, and all kinds of policies. The baby boomer generation was the biggest ME generation there ever was...

19. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +237 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Not sure I agree. Today's youth is pretty idealistic and I think way less prejudiced and racist, but they seem to be lazier, rely on way more handouts and don't take responsibility for their own failures. No links or studies to back that up. That's just some observations from people I've worked over the last couple of years.

20. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,030 / 15 / -8

I've done a little reading/research on generational tendencies, according to self-reporting and also reporting from others. Evidently the "downside" to "generation Y" or "Millenials" or whatever you call them, is that they enter the workforce w/more of a sense of entitlement, and more of a belief that you have to be able to show them why to do a certain thing (rather than just figuring, "duh, because it's your job.")

But everything I've read about these things is years old already. Might make a good thread of its own.

I do know interconnectedness is supposed to be huge to this demographic, generation-wide, as is a belief in quality of life over careerism. And of course your mileage will vary (case by case caveat.)

PFnV