PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The real reason we don't name coordinators

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought we knew the real reason. I thought it was that Belichick was a paranoid control freak who has allowed the game to pass him by and Bob Kraft is a greedy owner who is interested in his profits and saw that he could save a buck by not paying coordinators.

Are we now not going with this theory anymore? I have been out of the loop because the aluminum foil hat I wear to block the signal to my brain sent out by the aliens from Area 41 also messes with my Internet connection. At least I know we haven't gone back on theory that the U.S. government was responsible for 911 because they wanted to destroy all evidence of Obama's Kenyan birth certificate. If that theory is blown out of the water, I don't know what I would do with myself.

really? theres no one out there in the entire NFL world worthy of being the DC of the NE patriots?

sorry that just does not sound right

Charlie Weis and Josh McDaniels are worthy.

I may be mistaken, but it seems like BB doesn't want to "officially" name coordinators for fear of his staff being cherry picked on a yearly basis. Not naming somone to a position creates doubt as to what their responsibilities may be, making them a possible risk and less attractive to coach poaching teams. Thoughts?

The real reason? And how do you know this, a guess?

Maybe the Krafts just dont want to pay them OC/DC $$ while they are being groomed.

Maybe the Krafts just dont want to pay them OC/DC $$ while they are being groomed.

Very likely.....exodus of coordinators continues over last few years (Weis, RC, Mangina, Josh, Dom Capers etc....and separately SP). Yes one can say they were hot commodities due to teams success, however, I don't buy we could not have retained any 1 of them by some means.

Heck even Sean Payton forked over $250k of his money to get Gregg Williams as DC.

His lack of faith? Huh?

Do you believe he had a lack of faith in Josh McDaniels?

No, otherwise he wouldn't have named him as the OC. He probably doesn't see the same ability in Bill O'Brien to let him take complete control. That's my point.

I'm missing your logic. Almost every team hires OC and DC from the outside, at least part of the time. BB always uses his own staff for these positions. So how does that represent a lack of faith?

It isn't that there aren't coordinators. They just don't have the title.

With him taking greater control it does show a lack of faith. Otherwise he wouldn't be including himself in the playcalling on both sides of the ball. If he thought that O'Brien did a good job last year he would have probably made him the OC. But after a year when every laymen and internet GM points out that their playcalling sucked and was predictable, O'Brien is still just the QB coach. Me thinks that it isn't a coincidence.

I may be mistaken, but it seems like BB doesn't want to "officially" name coordinators for fear of his staff being cherry picked on a yearly basis. Not naming somone to a position creates doubt as to what their responsibilities may be, making them a possible risk and less attractive to coach poaching teams. Thoughts?

This was my thought exactly. On the other hand, if there is a coach on the Pats who feels like he has earned the title of OC or DC, and he doesnt' get it, that might make him more willing to leave, so he does get the title.

But, who really knows what BB is thinking on this one.

Mike Reiss says in a blog post on the No-OC/DC situation that BB has done this before:

"The Patriots hired Romeo Crennel in 2001, after having Rob Ryan and Eric Mangini split the duties in 2000, with neither holding a coordinator title."

I'm damned if I remember that.:confused:

Mike Reiss says in a blog post on the No-OC/DC situation that BB has done this before:

"The Patriots hired Romeo Crennel in 2001, after having Rob Ryan and Eric Mangini split the duties in 2000, with neither holding a coordinator title."

I'm damned if I remember that.:confused:

BB did not have an DC his 1st year running the org.

What I would be timid doing is challenging Reiss on the Mangini/Ryan combo. They could have....?

While many good reasons have been forwarded for not naming coordinators, I didn't notice one other scenario mentioned. At the start of last season, much was made by the league of teams allowing more face time with the media from coordinators. Dean Pees was often quoted, more so than Charlie or RAC in past years. Maintaining his policy of "one voice" , his own, may well play as much a part of "group decision" strategy as any thng else.

As much as we live for more information, (why else would we be here?), to BB, it's poison. With the tumultuous 2 yrs coming until a new CBA is inked, less info is what we will get. It's the downside of a management philosophy we were delighted with for most of the 00's, plan to be a perennial contender, never settle for instant gratification. IMO, every decision made today is based on the predicted landscape in 2012-13.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back