PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The real reason people are mad about the Wes Welker trade and why they are wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestpatsfan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I know, this is about the 100th new thread on the Wes Welker trade that has popped up in the last few days, but everyone needs to look at this trade from a larger perspective.

Most people are upset that we are giving up a 2nd round pick, now that a 7th has been added, even more people are upset. Why? The real reason is because of the unknown or "the grass is greener" effect.

With Welker, you have a basic idea of what he brings to the team, but a 2nd round pick "could" be that next great player that becomes a superstar player that everyteam wants and the Patriots were able to grab. Right now, that 2nd pick seems so much better than Welker because we don't know what or who that player will be. This is a nice fantasy until week 1 of the season when that player is most likely sitting on the bench or playing a very limited role. Welker, while not a superstar by any means, could become one of the most productive players on the offense for us, and he has a track record to prove that. I see posts now with people being upset with the 7th rounder now too, but realistically the player chosen their has little to no chance of making this team, but again, the thought of the unkown and "potential" gets in the way of reality.

Most of us like to applaud our front office and coach for being brilliant when it comes to the draft, but they know better than anyone that it is a crapshoot and if you get 1 or 2 guys out of each draft that can really contribute on a consistent basis, then they have won.

The second part of the equation is not revealed yet, but will be soon. We all know that we are going to be given potentially 4 comp. picks depending on how the league divies them up. If we can squeeze a 3rd out of them, great, if not, we most likely will get a pick in each of the day 2 rounds (4,5,6,7). That is 4 picks that the Patriots must use. They cannot be traded or packaged to move up. That means we are looking at a total of anywhere between 8 to 10 picks still, even after this trade.
We all know that if they do indeed use both first rounders they will make this team, as well as the 3rd rounder we currently have and the 3rd if we were to get one as a comp. pick. That is 3 to 4 guaranteed spots for guys who may not necessarily contribute a whole lot this first year. If the patriots had not traded for Welker, who we know will contribute this year, you have another guy who may not contribute very much. That is potentially 5 players who would contribute, but most likely on a limited basis, on a team that if it wants to win the Super Bowl needs to have guys who are proven.

The third part of this equation will be Welkers contract. He is a young player, yet he is productive as a reciever and as a special teamer. My guess is the contract will be 5 years. That is 5 years of known production from a young proven veteran. Under the new CBA, a second round pick can only be signed to a 4 year deal. Factor in one year for development and learning the sytem, you are now looking at 3 years of possible production from what is right now an unknown commodity. Remember, this draft pick could turn out to be M. Hill or B. Johnson and then you are looking at 0-1 year of production. Sure you may be paying that rookie less, but for what type of production?

To sum up. This is like being in a relationship with the perfect woman(or man):) Sure you know that they treat you great, are good in bed, and are perfect in almost everyway, but you see that other woman(or man) and wonder if it would be just a little bit better with them. Turns out most the time it isn't.

Wait, so people are mad because Welker's great in bed? :D

I think this is just repeating alot of what people feel. This was a great trade in my opinion. Alot of time players in the 6th and 7th round are waived anyways.

he will contribute immediately and he knows how to take care of his body. we don't have to worry about immaturity, the game being too fast for him now, and will not hit the "rookie" wall.

great trade.

Interesting. But do we need 8 Welker threads?

And I've posted in all of them!

Sometimes I hate this place.

Interesting. But do we need 8 Welker threads?

And I've posted in all of them!

it's the same al the time, count how many AD threads there were, how many asante threads. no one reads or researchers and some newbie asks if aasante has been franchised and it has been 3 weeks since it happened.

If the 7th round pick lets you get Welker cheaper, then I'm all for it.

Is that what you said when you were hiding under Welkers bed.:)

I kid because I care.

For the record, I have never slept with Wes Welker.*

Who could sleep with all that sex going on?

Man, there are a lot of people that are going to realize they were very wrong about Wes Welker. The guy is a FOOTBALL PLAYER! What do Bill Belichick and Scott Pioli love? FOOTBALL PLAYERS! Thats how you win.

I think it's more that we've gotten guys like Branch, Light and Wilson with 2nd round picks and so I'm measuring Welker up against them and he just doesn't measure up. Obviously we've had Bethel Johnson as a 2nd rounder too, but, on average, I'd expect our 2nd rounder to have a good chance at being a long-term piece for the franchise, something I don't think Welker is. Welker, in my mind, is ideally a #3 receiver who gets kick return duty but isn't especially good at it, and we're also paying him better than any 2nd rounder as well. I'll go on record as saying I don't like the move. I couldn't care less about the 7th rounder, to clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes