PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The real problem for this team is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: the real problem for this team is......

Your joking right?
You discredit the SB wins because 2 starters (McG,Bruschi) played in 3, 1 (Law) in 2 and 1 reserve LB were on the team when he arrived.
On the team that had gone 11-5,10-6,9-7,8-8,5-11?????

not joking at all.....the success of the pats and the 3-4 has always been predicated on the quality of the LB play most of whom were here when BB showed up

well.....it ain't because of the LB's that BB has brought in.

He brought in Vrabel, Phifer, Colvin.
What are you saying BB sucks unless he drafted all 53 players that he won with?

not joking at all.....the success of the pats and the 3-4 has always been predicated on the quality of the LB play most of whom were here when BB showed up

So you have decided to find one position where there we 2 players, McGinest and Bruschi and judge that the success of the franchise is solely based on those 2 guys.
Thats simply ignorant.

Really sad if you think about it. We very, very easily could have had Clay Matthews or a Rey Maualuga (Both guys making solid impacts in their respective defenses) and BB chose to work his stupid deal downs instead of staying put and grabbing the impact player that you may have to pay a little bit more money too. That strategy bites, stay put or deal up, get players that can make an effin difference !

It's time for BB to step out of the effin draft room and turn things over to someone more qualified in the college evaluation department. Stick to coaching BB, your FA signings/trades and drafts are beyond questionable.

As someone who wanted Oher and Smith with the team's first two picks of the draft, and who's been very public on this board about disagreements with a fair number of Belichick's moves this past year, I'm curious about something here.....

Are you really trying to denigrate the 2009 draft because the team didn't grab your LB binkies, when a LB drafted last year AND a LB drafted this year both ended up on IR before they had a real chance to show what they could do?

Last edited:

No, it's that he sucks if we don't win all the time or convincingly enough or doing it the way the fans want him to...

No, it's that he sucks if we don't win all the time or convincingly enough or doing it the way the fans want him to...
We are in first place and have been no worse than tied for first place for 10 years, but Bill Belichick is doing a bad job. Its falt out stupid.

So you have decided to find one position where there we 2 players, McGinest and Bruschi and judge that the success of the franchise is solely based on those 2 guys.
Thats simply ignorant.

"ignorant" implies a minimal level of understanding...too kind...

we all know BB is a great coach and the pats have been the best team in the NFL over the last 10 years and we can't have our cake and eat it to by drafting ever great LB in the first round

i just find it odd that he would not try to draft a few more OLB's when he runs a D that lives and dies off the play of the LB's but i can only look at it as a fun i realy don't know who fits he's system and who dose not but i am happy he is the coach and would not trade him for any one

Your joking right?
You discredit the SB wins because 2 starters (McG,Bruschi) played in 3, 1 (Law) in 2 and 1 reserve LB were on the team when he arrived.
On the team that had gone 11-5,10-6,9-7,8-8,5-11?????

so willy mac teddy b ted johnson and ty lay was not the core of the D for most of the SB wins ?

no they did not win it on there own and BB did bring in some good player

he bring in a lot of corners but ty law was still the best corner on the team

he bring in some pass rusher but willy mac was still the best pass rusher on the team

he bring in ILB but teddy b was the heart of the D

say what you want but they where the core of the D

who said BB sucks?

colvin was good value? since when? but OK.....3 LB's in his 9 years here....and the last one more than 6 years ago.......OK, if you say so

Thats simply ignorant.

err.....ted johnson

but I guess you have the moniker of a guy from 30 years ago, so that must qualify you as 'smart'..........too bad it doesn't work that way.

sez the clown who calls colvin a good pick-up

So we're the team of the decade coached by a guy who achieved all that success based on the talent of those before him ... :confused: ... Got it.

So ... what team has done better in the last 10 years that you wish you were the fan of?

Bill is not perfect but I'll take his batting average over any coach and/or GM in the league.
The real sorry day will be when he decides he has had enough of the baseless criticism thrown his way around here.

He does not have a monopoly on the draft ... or on free agents or on the cap.

He does not have a monopoly on hiring assistant coaches and others.

He is not the supreme wizard of play calling and or game plans.

However ... taking the above as a whole ... he's better than all the rest.

Last edited:

We are in first place and have been no worse than tied for first place for 10 years, but Bill Belichick is doing a bad job. Its falt out stupid.

the only thing that is stupid is your comprehension

grow up and stop being such a baby

So we're the team of the decade coached by a guy who achieved all that success based on the talent of those before him ... :confused: ... Got it.

heh.....more brainless comprehension

answer this.....who was the last good LB value the pats have brought in via draft or FA or anything?

As someone who wanted Oher and Smith with the team's first two picks of the draft, and who's been very public on this board about disagreements with a fair number of Belichick's moves this past year, I'm curious about something here.....

Are you really trying to denigrate the 2009 draft because the team didn't grab your LB binkies, when a LB drafted last year AND a LB drafted this year both ended up on IR before they had a real chance to show what they could do?

its not about the 2009 draft.......I'll ask you to go back in time and look at how the pats under BB have not developed ANYONE worth a damn at LB......right now, we are holding out hope for mayo, but that's it.

I have a different opinion on the defensive issues. Something to note is that few people understand the defensive dynamic. Defensive football is without question the archeotype for cohesive team sports. D Line effects backers, backers effect secondary, and vice versa down the list.

I am likely the most vocal criticiser on this forum that Dean Pees has. That damn cover 4 or any derevation thereof is cianide to any defense. That said, unless a blitz can finish it is effectively useless. As the linebackers shoot gaps, they vacate areas in a defense. Most offenses are step based in the passing game. If a blitz does not reach the QB before the passing step, there will be a significant gain. This leads to a discusssion on rushing the passer.

Blitzing and pass rushing are the most cerebral components of defensive football from a player's standpoint. Blitzing is fundamentally about snap count timing. Obviously, as the levels of play advance, the cadence becomes more nebulous. The ability to time this comes only from pre-game study and in-game adjustments. This is clearly a veteran skill set. Yes, there are athletic exceptions to any rule, but from a practical staffing standpoint this is the most critical component of effective blitzing.

Accordingly, if the rushers do not execute, the secondary must give a significant cushion. It's the choice between a slow death and immediate scores. I think this is the reason behind the off coverage. The great Patriots teams predicated upon defense had a combination of great pass rushers and press corners. The best press corners cannot play their brand unless there is an effective blitz and vice versa.

While I think that the unit could stand better playcall, the real issue is veteran staffing. This is the best secondary NE has had since '04, but without the staff and creativity, it is doomed to schematic mediocrity. Go get Peppers.

I have a different opinion on the defensive issues. Something to note is that few people understand the defensive dynamic. Defensive football is without question the archeotype for cohesive team sports. D Line effects backers, backers effect secondary, and vice versa down the list.

I am likely the most vocal criticiser on this forum that Dean Pees has. That damn cover 4 or any derevation thereof is cianide to any defense. That said, unless a blitz can finish it is effectively useless. As the linebackers shoot gaps, they vacate areas in a defense. Most offenses are step based in the passing game. If a blitz does not reach the QB before the passing step, there will be a significant gain. This leads to a discusssion on rushing the passer.

Blitzing and pass rushing are the most cerebral components of defensive football from a player's standpoint. Blitzing is fundamentally about snap count timing. Obviously, as the levels of play advance, the cadence becomes more nebulous. The ability to time this comes only from pre-game study and in-game adjustments. This is clearly a veteran skill set. Yes, there are athletic exceptions to any rule, but from a practical staffing standpoint this is the most critical component of effective blitzing.

Accordingly, if the rushers do not execute, the secondary must give a significant cushion. It's the choice between a slow death and immediate scores. I think this is the reason behind the off coverage. The great Patriots teams predicated upon defense had a combination of great pass rushers and press corners. The best press corners cannot play their brand unless there is an effective blitz and vice versa.

While I think that the unit could stand better playcall, the real issue is veteran staffing. This is the best secondary NE has had since '04, but without the staff and creativity, it is doomed to schematic mediocrity. Go get Peppers.

in the 3-4, it comes down to the linebackers........

I think good coaches will coach with the personnel they have, and if you only have one (good) linebacker, you’re not going to play a 3-4. - Hank Bullough

in the 3-4, it comes down to the linebackers........

I think good coaches will coach with the personnel they have, and if you only have one (good) linebacker, you’re not going to play a 3-4. - Hank Bullough

I agree with this, but only to an extent. Professional football has far too many permutations. The 34 is a great defense in pro rushing situations. In the pros, a team can execute a 2nd and short play on 1st and long. Accordingly, a defense must be able to adapt. Hence, the 34 being played by the best defensive teams. However, in obvious passing situations, the defensive line depth comes into play. This comes into play with coverage safeties to eliminate the matchup based offenses that dominate the league. Just because there is a base set doesn't mean that there is a specific staffing requirement.

the only thing that is stupid is your comprehension

grow up and stop being such a baby

No, yo are criticizing the personell decisions of the man who inherited the worst team in the NFL in 2000 (PFW called it the team farthest from the SB) and had the best decade, close to the best decade ever.
That is simply STUPID.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back