PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Ravens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is everyone so hung up on age as a major factor in the demise of a team? Yes players past their prime won't perform as well statistically than the year before, but the drop off is hardly noticeable. Certainly not enough for a team to go from top-5 to just average in 1 year.

Why? Because players who rely on their physical skills primarily like defensive players tend to start to break down in their mid 30s.

- Ray Lewis is 38. How is age not a concern for him right now? Even though Lewis is a freak, there aren't many defensive players who last past their mid-30s. Lewis is going to hit the age wall either this year or next year. Obviously since he lost weight to adapt to the game, he is concerned abiut this too.
- Ed Reed is 34 and has been incurring a lot of injuries in recent years. How is that not a concern?
- Casey Hampton is 34, is 325lbs, and has been breaking down over the last few years. How is age not a concern about him?
- Brett Keisel is 33 and hasn't played a full season since 2007. How is that not a concern?

To say age is not a concern with those teams is just not dealing with reality.

As for going from top 5 to average, it happens all the time. In 2010, the Packers were the 5th ranked defense. In 2011, they were 32nd. Also, in 2010, the Saints were ranked 4th and they were ranked 24th in 2011. In 2009, the Bengals were the 4th ranked defense, in 2010 they were ranked 15th.

Last edited:
Why? Because players who rely on their physical skills primarily like defensive players tend to start to break down in their mid 30s.

- Ray Lewis is 38. How is age not a concern for him right now? Even though Lewis is a freak, there aren't many defensive players who last past their mid-30s. Lewis is going to hit the age wall either this year or next year. Obviously since he lost weight to adapt to the game, he is concerned abiut this too.
- Ed Reed is 34 and has been incurring a lot of injuries in recent years. How is that not a concern?
- Casey Hampton is 34, is 325lbs, and has been breaking down over the last few years. How is age not a concern about him?
- Brett Keisel is 33 and hasn't played a full season since 2007. How is that not a concern?

I can't believe someone is actually asking this question after seeing the Patriots complete defensive makeover from 2008-2010. In 2007, the defense was still good, with a lot of players like Harrison, Bruschi, and Vrabel, losing "just a bit" because of age. Within two years, they were all basically out of the league.

I can't believe someone is actually asking this question after seeing the Patriots complete defensive makeover from 2008-2010. In 2007, the defense was still good, with a lot of players like Harrison, Bruschi, and Vrabel, losing "just a bit" because of age. Within two years, they were all basically out of the league.

I think that is the difference between the Pats and Steelers. I think the Pats made the transition to the next group of defenders earlier than the Steelers. Belichick always like to part with players too early. The Steelers look to potentially let their defenders go too late.

As for going from top 5 to average, it happens all the time. In 2010, the Packers were the 5th ranked defense. In 2011, they were 32nd. Also, in 2010, the Saints were ranked 4th and they were ranked 24th in 2011. In 2009, the Bengals were the 4th ranked defense, in 2010 they were ranked 15th.

You forgot Polamalu that from what I have seen last year has definately lost a step....its clear as day.

I think that is the difference between the Pats and Steelers. I think the Pats made the transition to the next group of defenders earlier than the Steelers. Belichick always like to part with players too early. The Steelers look to potentially let their defenders go too late.

I don't think I'd use the word "like" here.

"Understands the necessity" is nearer the mark.

Here is an article stating that they have been the toughest division in the NFL "by far" over the past 5 years:
I have asked myself: What division in the NFL has the Pats' number? I really don't know of one. The Giants are just an anomaly because of the way they go on a tear as a 9-7 team. Their division can't be that good if the Pats whacked them 7-1 over the last two divisional matchups.

The Pats would win dominate that division a lot more than the Giants have in the last ten years. The problem is that the AFCE doesn't have a real competitor for the Pats now that the Jets have crapped out. Two years ago we had two contenders in the division. Now I'm not sure what we have but I'm thinking "Buffalo" more than the Jets.

The Steelers showed age on their defense down the stretch and they are another year older as a group.
They showed some stupidity (defensive game plan) in Denver too. Not the players' fault there.

Dunno, age is always a concern but making predictions based up age is a whole other matter. For every Pats fan that is betting RayRay is over the hill there is a Ravens fan betting the same thing about Tom. Except they are not betting money. That's how fans get to say whatever they want - by avoiding money.

I don't put NOTHIN' past the Ravens' defense. It will be a rock fight.

I have asked myself: What division in the NFL has the Pats' number? I really don't know of one. The Giants are just an anomaly because of the way they go on a tear as a 9-7 team. Their division can't be that good if the Pats whacked them 7-1 over the last two divisional matchups.

The Pats would win dominate that division a lot more than the Giants have in the last ten years. The problem is that the AFCE doesn't have a real competitor for the Pats now that the Jets have crapped out. Two years ago we had two contenders in the division. Now I'm not sure what we have but I'm thinking "Buffalo" more than the Jets.

Finding competition for the NEP has been difficult lately, but if you click on the link about the toughest division in the NFL, they have broken it down into many different variables that they used to determine that.

For example, the NFC East had a score of 46, while the next toughest division only had 36 (the AFC North).

Our division came in 3rd out of all the divisions, which is respectable in itself; actually better than I had assumed.

As far as who will compete this year? Houston may have a bit of an easier path playing in the AFC South, with games vs JAX, IND, and TEN all 2x a piece. Their defense has certainly been coming on, and they have a tough running game too.

I would agree that BUF looks tougher than they usually do.

They showed some stupidity (defensive game plan) in Denver too. Not the players' fault there.

Dunno, age is always a concern but making predictions based up age is a whole other matter. For every Pats fan that is betting RayRay is over the hill there is a Ravens fan betting the same thing about Tom. Except they are not betting money. That's how fans get to say whatever they want - by avoiding money.

I would agree with you about the possibility of a tough matchup with the Ravens down there this year, even without Suggs in the regular season.

They always seem to get pumped up for the Pats, and although a couple of Brady's poor games against them have been due to circumstance and luck, one could also make an argument that their defense takes at least partial credit for those poor performances too. There's just too many bad performances against them to think otherwise, it's too much of a pattern in my opinion. I don't know if they somehow get into Brady's head, if he overthinks where Ed Reed is going to move to, or what? Likely it's a combination of several different factors, but I would also say that there have been some weird circumstances involved too.

I don't know. A 38 year old ILB is much older in football years than a 35 year old QB. It isn't all that unusual to see a 38 year old QB play at a high level. It almost never happens to a LB. Besides, Brady is three years younger than Ray Ray.

So you dont think players 'get old' in the NFL significantly from season to season? You couldnt be more wrong. Ray Lewis,Ed Reed,hell even Ray Rice are all on borrowed time.

All 3 played well enough to make the pro-bowl last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye