Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Racist States of America

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Hebeill, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Hebeill

Hebeill Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I can understand the south and west as being racist but the North Shore of Ma and central coast of Maine. :eek:

Presidential Election 2012: Map charts out racist tweets across the nation | Mail Online

A great deal of Americans were justifiably upset when Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney lost the election.
    But rather than using social media to express their frustration and disappointment in an elegant way, many Twitter users instead used the platform to post shockingly racist tweets, calling President Obama a ‘n*****’ and a ‘monkey.’
    A map collected by Floating Sheep, a collective of geography academics, shows the shocking demographic of racist 'hate tweets,' many of them collected from states that were won by Romney.
  2. Patradomous

Patradomous Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -1

#87 Jersey

Fine a handful of nuts tweet crap off the cuff.
    When you guys have your Rush limbaugh (Chris Matthews) broadcasting over the open airways he was happy for the disaster in NY (he says this after a win) What would he be saying after a loss?
  3. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Doesnt take into account population density.

1 tweet in Mass should be considered far less than in Montana.
  4. Hebeill

Hebeill Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think they did. If you go to the Floating Sheep link it explains the data in greater depth. What caught my attention is the Low number of tweets 395 hate tweets. I would say from reading various informal online polls over the years that the percentage of hard core ultra conservatives ranges from 20-25%. (If a question is asked that has anything to do with left vs right issues there is always a core group of 20-25 percent that votes conservative) If i take 25% of the population thats 75 million. Now of course this is very loosely based, is it really 75 million, how many tweet, etc. But even if its 20 million or ten million to only have appx. 400 hate tweets is awfully low.
  5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

I'd consider this "article" irrelevant.

So we're tracking "Tweets" now? This country is going down fast....

Next we'll be tracking "conversations"....

I read the article and chuckled....it was the only reaction I had.

Like Darryl so eloquently stated....

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

Lberals love to report this stuff but they keep The Chicago Killings under wrap--shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  7. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -2

unfortunately, its not as simple as that......

racism is alive and strong right here in boston. just because bricks haven't been thrown for almost 40 years, there is a deep rooted hatred......it's in southie, dorchester, charlestown, quincy....it's in wellesley, newton, needham, weston......

just because the region has learned to be more private in regards to this topic does not mean its not there......trust me, its there....I am exposed to it regularly and it festers at every demographic level.
  8. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ~~~Out of Order~~~ PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +24 / 1 / -0

#87 Jersey

9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

Why is Harlem racist?
  11. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

You'll never eradicate idiotic, moronic, hateful, bigoted, or extreme behavior. It will exist until humanity ends. You can't regulate stupid. That people tweet nonsense, or post messed up responses on youtube, only proves that there are ****ed up people in society. That will never change unfortunately.
  12. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -2

13. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -2

Yeah. "On YouTube."
  14. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -2

The NAACP is racist. Affirmative action is also racist.
  15. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

Do you feel like a victim?
  16. Onedaful

Onedaful Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Do you have to be a victim to know something is racist?
  17. Patters

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

Good point!
  18. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

I personally don't see a huge difference in the amount of racism I observe in Connecticut versus southern Virginia/North Carolina. In fact, I see much more of a mosaic here than there, where I saw far more interracial couples.
  19. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +24 / 1 / -0

#87 Jersey

Racism IMO is a leftover remnant of the human survival mechanism. If we were not inherently racist then the human race may not have survived to today. Ancient man had to weary of anyone who did not look, act or dress like them to survive.

Education and civility have gone a long way to removing this survival mechanism. Some can harness that control way more than others ... perhaps there's an intelligence factor in there somewhere - perhaps not.

As I have stated so many times ... racism in America is about the lowest compared to the rest of the world. We should always work on it as much as we can while at the same time not restricting free speech which is the strength of the USA.

If a guy is walking down a darkened alley being followed by several people ... his survival instincts will take over ... IMO certain elements of racism are deep inside us even when we are 99% successful in controlling them. If science could identify the genes controlling it and modify them ... perhaps many wars and bloodshed would cease to exist.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  20. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

This is actually a great point. The world loves to point the finger at the United States, but the truth is that we're much more willing to acknowledge and address the racism issues in this country. Therefore, it's in the news, constantly. Other countries, even in Europe, tend to ignore or gloss over the racism epidemic in their own countries.

We all know that Eastern Europe has a well documented problem with racism, but racist comments are made very casually in places like Germany, Sweden, Denmark, and the Netherlands as well. In fact, I suspect I heard them because I was an American and they felt safe making those kinds of comments. I could be way off in my assessment, but I always wondered.
  21. Patters

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

In the countries I lived in, I didn't see any less or more racism than in the US. I remember once walking with a colleague in Copenhagen, when I asked her, "Are the Danes really as tolerant as they seem? So little racism, anti-Semitism, homophobia ...." She thought about my question, and then finally said, "Yeah, except for the Greenlanders!" I think every people finds someone else to look down upon.

I agree with you though that the US is the most integrated and tolerant country in the world. It's one of the things that makes the US the greatest nation in world. But, it's important to remain vigilant about stereotypes. There are many small homogeneous communities in the US still where people believe stereotypes because they don't have much experience with people from other cultures.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  22. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

We have a black president.

We have black representatives and senators.

We had a black man actually lead the republican primary, and if it weren't for "Libya, uhhh whats that" and the sex scandals, who knows if he could of won the nomination :D

That's right, a minority got 52.9% and 51.1% in national elections to elect him to the most powerful position in the United States.

Racism is essentially dead, it's 2013, don't let the awful few ruin how far we've come as a nation.
  23. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

Yeah, I didn't notice an outpouring of racism, but it's definitely there. As for Copenhagen, I always heard the disparaging remarks about the Jyllanders; comparable, I would say, to how Americans look at southerners.

Agreed.
  24. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -2

In college I had a roommate named Arnd, a German-born guy (educated in Japan for many years. We called him "Axis Arnd.") Neither of us really grokked that people thought it was weird we were best friends.

There was also a Dutch guy on my Freshman hall named Hien. He taught me my one Dutch cuss-word, kruntekokker (probably misspelled.) It is basically an accusation that the other guy defecates raisins.

In return I taught him "F___ off!" and "F___ off and die!" I carefully explained that it's like when someone says something you really really hate and you want something equally as strong to say back, adding that "F___ off and die!" is slightly more emphatic. You know, save it for special occasions, use with caution, that sort of thing.

Welp, we went to the student cafeteria one day, and he's getting his slab of mystery meat, and didn't want potatoes. The guy is about to plop an ice-cream scoop of potatoes on his tray and he's saying something in accented English to the effect of "I don't want potatoes." The guy doesn't understand him and pauses a minute, then resumes the motion. Hien says a little louder "No!" So the guy looks up at him, mainly puzzled that he's so emphatic. Hien reads this as continued puzzlement, so to make the point perfectly clear, he shouts at the cafeteria guy "F___ off and die!" I had to defuse that with an explanation that he's not from here, etc. etc. etc.

Hien also explained to me that Belgians were a common target among enlightened Europeans. Belgians were considered to eat more french fries than most people, and were considered less intelligent than the Dutch (by Dutch lights.)

Sample joke about the poor benighted Belgians:

"Why are there french fries all over a Belgian train station?"

a. (turn your wrist to the side as if checking the time, while your hand is held as if holding an imaginary container of fries) "What time is it?"

As a proof of cultural superiority I found it somewhat self-defeating. I think other cultures' proofs of cultural superiority are always liable to strike one as self-defeating. Being unable to see this in regards to one own's culture stikes me as proof of parochialism, jingoism, or just plain stupidity.

PFnV
  25. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Texans suck. Florida is a loony bin.
  26. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +24 / 1 / -0

#87 Jersey

Hope no lurkers are in here tonight ... :scared:
  27. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

#15 Jersey

I would not go as far as to say racism is dead. As someone said, racism exists everywhere, but the South is still pissed off over the Civil War. There are too many pockets of racism in Florida and outside of the major cities in Texas. Lived in both places and one witnessed blatant racism daily. BTW, I worked in school systems in Texas where one would think educated people would be less bigoted.
  28. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -2

So, you agree that Affirmative and NAACP are racist, but choose to look the other way and support them because its the liberal thing to do.
  29. Nunchucks

Nunchucks Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -1

Racism[*rey-siz-uhm ]noun1.*a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.2.*a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.3.*hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Feom dictionary.com
  30. Patters

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

No, I don't think affirmative action or the NAACP are racist.

The fact is the concept of race is defined by the majority culture. It's whites who have a long history of defining the black race as slaves, lazy, stupid, monkeys, sex addicts, etc. Blacks responded to that racist nonsense in a number of ways, including by promoting black pride and by forming organizations that represent their interests. If whites are going to box them in to different categories, then they need organizations that represent their interests. The same phenomenon existed when majority bigotry was directed at other groups, and they formed Hibernian Halls, Italian-American Associations, and so on. Today, you see gays stand up to homophobic bigotry with gay pride. Thus, the NAACP is a logical outcome as long as there are lots of people like Harry Boy, for example, who are busy trying to define blacks. How many threads in this forum have talked about black crime? Many of them, yet crime is really a product of poverty and education, not race.

Now, given the reality that blacks were blatantly discriminated against and continue to suffer the consequences of that (for instance, black families tend to to have far fewer assets from inherited wealth) and for many years there were many business sectors that were for no good reason disproportionately white (construction, police, firefighters, office jobs, etc.), affirmative action was a logical choice. Since the liberalism of JFK/LBJ, we have made great strides in equality, and affirmative action has become less necessary.

My opinion of white conservative men is that many of them are angry they have lost so many of the special privileges they enjoyed as little as a generation ago. They would rather explain their own failures on the equality foisted on them by liberals then take personal responsibility. The issue of personal responsibility I think has always been projection on the part of the right -- accuse others of it rather than look in the mirror. I'm not saying you are part of that group of righties, but there are many who are, and those are the ones who typically object to efforts by blacks and other minorities to achieve equality.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013