PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Quest for Team Perfection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobs My Uncle

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We all do it. Sitting around our computers as armchair NFL GM’s we all analyze our favourite team and deduce ways to make the Patriots bullet proof. We all strive for team perfection. That state where not a single imperfection exists on the team that we cheer for. We’ll unearth every stone imaginable looking for that almighty condition where our favourite team has no glaring weakness.

Unfortunately, the reality of things in today’s NFL is such that no team is perfect; including our Patriots. All NFL teams have weaknesses that, for whatever reasons, they can’t or haven’t addressed. It’s just the way it is in the NFL in 2006. Like us, the fans of the other 31 NFL teams are also sitting around as armchair GM’s wondering why their team hasn’t addressed their weaknesses and scheming up ways to create their own Shangri-La NFL roster.

When I look at our Patriots I see a team that is as talented as they come with highly skilled starters and depth players, superb coaches and vast amounts of big game experience all of which is unrivaled in the game. Sure we have faults but so too does every single one of the other top rated teams we are competing against for the next Lombardi.

Heck, do you think fans of the SB champs Steelers are thrilled that they have Cedric Wilson and Santonio Holmes battling it out for #2 WR as Randle-El’s replacement? Or do you think they are happy that they are staring at Brett Keisel as von Oelhoffen’s replacement. Or Ryan Clark in for Chris Hope at safety?

Do you think that Indy fans are happy that they have a committee of RB’s filling in for departed all-pro RB Edgerrin James? or that they have a dunce for a HC?

We can all pee and moan about the holes we have on this year’s team but the reality is it’s the same with all 31 of the other NFL teams out there. Our player roster doesn't have to be perfect. We can have holes in it just like every one of the other 31 teams. Luckily for us we have an ace in our back pocket that the others don’t have ….. A coaching staff that helps the Patriots separates themselves from other similarly talented teams. We just need to remain healthy to allow this advantage to transpire.

I think this year's draft is one that could push us over the top if Maroney and Jackson come through. If we can re-sign Branch, then Branch, Jackson, Caldwell (as the #3), Maroney and Watson could give us an almost unstoppable offense to go with what we know will be a solid defense. Now, they might not come through but those first two picks were Belichick's "don't be afraid to take a chance on greatness" picks IMO.

Unstoppable? That seems to run contrary to the spirit of Bobs post. It also seems to run contrary to the basic facts of life. The Rams offense thought they were unstoppable once. Later, it was the Colts thinking the same thing. Eventually, they both learned no one is. I'm surprised we've forgotten it.

Pats67 said:
Unstoppable? That seems to run contrary to the spirit of Bobs post. It also seems to run contrary to the basic facts of life. The Rams offense thought they were unstoppable once. Later, it was the Colts thinking the same thing. Eventually, they both learned no one is. I'm surprised we've forgotten it.
Well, OK, not unstoppable but the most talented, explosive offense we've had. By a good margin. But, again, that's if we keep Branch and both Jackson and Maroney come through in a big way.

Unstoppable would be good :rocker:

Bobs My Uncle said:
Unstoppable would be good :rocker:

Yes. Last spoken in these parts when we had Bledsoe, Martin, Glenn, Coates, Jefferson, etc.

THe key to all these new Offensive acquisitions is the health of the O-line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots