PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The QB Scenario on Draft Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

yopats

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I was checking out this article New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston by Mike Reiss where BB talks about the possibility of this being a fluid situation on draft day and remembered a similar topic was brought up by ProFootball talk in terms of a high number of QB's being taken in the first round Dominik: 5-6 quarterbacks could go in first round | ProFootballTalk

What are your thoughts on this? What if 5-6 QB's are taken in the First round how can we capitalize on this? What players could fall to us etc?

1. Cam Newton
2. Blane Gabbert
3. Jake Locker
4. Ryan Mallett
5. Colin Kapernick
6. Christian Ponder
7. Andy Dalton

Sure would be nice to see 4 QB's selected before the Pat's 17th pick......More choices of top players of need for the team.....and probably saves BB from having to bundle to move up to get someone special.

Let's hope we don't see a ton of trades down for extra picks. This team is young enough as it is and doesn't need alot more youth added.

I'd use the Jet's approach and go for QUALITY over quantity, at least in this draft.......Probably trade our second rounder for a first next year, if possible.

Get 3 top players with 17,28, and 33 .....bundle a third rounder to move UP if he has to...but PLEASE...no more trade downs for extra picks.....

Would like to see Pats move around and UP and get THREE first day picks...That would make my day....:rocker:

If 3 QB's are chosen in the first 16 (and 2-3 more 17-33)
------------------------------------------------------
1) This increases the possibility of getting Jordan or Watt at 17, although I don't see this as likely with both Bowers and A. Smith not likely to be in the top 16.

2) We will be more likely to be able to move down at 28 for someone wanting a QB (and less likely for someone wanting an OT.

3) Offensive linemen would be moved a couple of spots up in the 28-60 range.

QUOTE=yopats;2520959]I was checking out this article New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston by Mike Reiss where BB talks about the possibility of this being a fluid situation on draft day and remembered a similar topic was brought up by ProFootball talk in terms of a high number of QB's being taken in the first round Dominik: 5-6 quarterbacks could go in first round | ProFootballTalk

What are your thoughts on this? What if 5-6 QB's are taken in the First round how can we capitalize on this? What players could fall to us etc?

1. Cam Newton
2. Blane Gabbert
3. Jake Locker
4. Ryan Mallett
5. Colin Kapernick
6. Christian Ponder
7. Andy Dalton[/QUOTE]

If 3 QB's are chosen in the first 16 (and 2-3 more 17-33)
------------------------------------------------------
1) This increases the possibility of getting Jordan or Watt at 17, although I don't see this as likely with both Bowers and A. Smith not likely to be in the top 16.

2) We will be more likely to be able to move down at 28 for someone wanting a QB (and less likely for someone wanting an OT.

3) Offensive linemen would be moved a couple of spots up in the 28-60 range.

The next tier would be from 25 and up .. see if teams jump for Locker , Kapernick and Ponder then leaving a feeding frenzy for A. Dalton for our 33rd pick.. could get interesting for sure.

Last edited:
Now we're getting somewhere with Schefter weighing in.

This late in the game, I find it hard to believe that people are putting Locker, Kaepernick, Dalton or Stanzi into the 1st round.

Unless we're seeing a switch to teams truly wanting 2-3 years to develop a QB.

I just don't see that level of talent available. None of the QBs available in this draft are as good as Aaron Rodgers was coming out of college.. Heck, even Kolb offers a better option.

And it's not like these guys can start learning the playbooks. Once drafted they go home and sit until the NFL and Players get their acts together and resolve the labor situation.

This late in the game, I find it hard to believe that people are putting Locker, Kaepernick, Dalton or Stanzi into the 1st round.

Unless we're seeing a switch to teams truly wanting 2-3 years to develop a QB.

I just don't see that level of talent available. None of the QBs available in this draft are as good as Aaron Rodgers was coming out of college.. Heck, even Kolb offers a better option.

And it's not like these guys can start learning the playbooks. Once drafted they go home and sit until the NFL and Players get their acts together and resolve the labor situation.

Yeah I agree completely. I gave zero QBs first round grades this year. And now they're saying we'll see the most 1st round QBs ever. I don't get it at all ...

Well, I have to agree that the more QBs that are taken in the first round, the better it is for the Pats-either to get a better player or a better value in next year's draft. Here's to a QB run in the first round!

OK, help me out here...the Bengals, having just not drafted a QB, watch five QB go and give us #35 AND next year #1 to move up 9 spots to get Andy Dalton? Why wouldn't they just wait to get him at 35, there are no teams that require a QB except BUF, who prolly already got one in this scenario? And what five teams go if CIN doesn't? CAR, ARI, WAS, MIN, SEA ? Who else would need a QB to pressure CIN into panic?

hey brothers it could go the other way. somone might want to trade down in early teens to our 17.just a thought homey...go pats!!!

I still see 4 QB's (Newton, Gabbard, Locker and Mallett) going prior to #17.

Add to that DT/DE Dareus, OLB/DE Miller, CB Peterson, DT Fairley, OLB/DE Quinn, CB Amukamara, WR Green, and WR Jones, and that is 12 players off the board while leaving a lot of talented players between 13 and 17 to sort out.

So now who wants to come up to #17 for a player like DE Bowers, DE Jordan, OLB/DE Smith, OT Smith, DT Liuget, DE Watts, RB Ingram, etc. etc. etc.

This is why I think BB will be able to trade from #17 to the early 20's. Some team is gong to fall in love with a player that San Diego likes. And BB will bleed them for the pick.

Wouldn't Tampa Bay just love to get their hands on Jordan or Smith? All they have to do is call BB and bend over and grab their ankles.

Make of this as you will, but on my drive home today heard on the radio from someone named "Casey" (some draft guru) that this whole business of 1st round QBs is all a hoax. I did not hear the whole pitch, but he was not high on alot of QBs.

Says Newton is a second rounder, why risk a high draft pick on player with bad mechanics, there are about 8 things wrong with Newton, it would take a couple of years to coach that out of him, then what are your odds of having a good QB. This guy saw very little that transferred to the NFL.

He said if Newton did not go real early, then he had no idea how far he would slide.

He did like Ponder and Dalton, depending how they matched with the team scheme.

Just relaying what I heard.

Am guessing that BB had Locker and Mallet in to guesstimate where they would rank for other teams.

OK, let's assume your top 12.

NEXT FOUR
Say they are T. Smith, Jordan, Watt and Liuget.
==========================================

Let's see who folks will have to have so much as to give Belichick a great deal
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
BOWERS
KERRIGAN
A. SMITH
POUNCEY
COSTANZO

I just don't see it. I added Pouncey since he is at least as likely as the others to command interest in a trade up to 17.

Add to that DT/DE Dareus, OLB/DE Miller, CB Peterson, DT Fairley, OLB/DE Quinn, CB Amukamara, WR Green, and WR Jones, and that is 12 players off the board while leaving a lot of talented players between 13 and 17 to sort out.

So now who wants to come up to #17 for a player like DE Bowers, DE Jordan, OLB/DE Smith, OT Smith, DT Liuget, DE Watts, RB Ingram, etc. etc. etc.

This is why I think BB will be able to trade from #17 to the early 20's. Some team is gong to fall in love with a player that San Diego likes. And BB will bleed them for the pick.

Wouldn't Tampa Bay just love to get their hands on Jordan or Smith? All they have to do is call BB and bend over and grab their ankles.

HEY, OJ, I'd love to have Bowers, Smith, Watts, or Jordan. THAT's what I DON'T want to happen. trading down from that 17 spot with several of the above still available, then trading down for some late 2nd round pick and watch other teams pick the players we have all coveted.

Haven't we all kind of agreed that THIS was the year to pick up a few IMPACT players, rather than ANOTHER dozen decent pros.

What we have been HOPING for was that a stud front seven player would be available at 17 that would fit in to our sytem. My hope is Jordan, but I certain would be more than happy if any of the four ended up starting for the patriots. I have questions about each of the three, but those questions are for Belichick to answer.

I'm fine with trading down from 17, but only if a stud is not there.

Even then, trading down would depend on how high Belichick has Heyward and Wilkerson rated. After all, if only one front seven defensive player was there at 17 and we traded down so that someone could move up for a QB, we should worry about both our DE targets being gone when we pick again. I expect that Heyward, Wilkerson and Taylor (and perhaps even Austin) would all be one before 28.

HEY, OJ, I'd love to have Bowers, Smith, Watts, or Jordan. THAT's what I DON'T want to happen. trading down from that 17 spot with several of the above still available, then trading down for some late 2nd round pick and watch other teams pick the players we have all coveted.

Haven't we all kind of agreed that THIS was the year to pick up a few IMPACT players, rather than ANOTHER dozen decent pros.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back