PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The problem with using the injury excuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEPat

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
This is my problem with some of the media using the injury excuse for the Colts.

When you have a ten point lead with nine minutes to go at home, and you're the defending champs, you must close that game out. It's like the Pats in the championship game last year. Once they built up that big lead, using injuries as an excuse should go out the window. They didn't close that game out when they should have.

I think when discussing a rematch, it's fine to talk about how Harrison might make a difference, that's OK, it's obvious he's a big weapon. But don't act like Harrison not being there is the reason the Colts lost that game yesterday. A 10 pt lead, at home, middle of the 4th quarter, I don't care who is missing, the Colts blew that game and they are kicking themselves because of it.

Here is another problem with the injury excuse...it tells the people that actually played in the game that they suck and you hope they never have to play again in a meaningful game.

Injuries happen, especially when you are thrown under a bus.

All I can say about the injury excuse is 2004, 20-3 with Gay and a second year Samuel as corners against the record setting Manning. Suck it up and win. Oh yeah and without a guy called Seymour either.

Last edited:
The Colts can't use the injury excuse, but if they do, then they're saying they won the AFCCG en route to a Superbowl because of an injured Patriots team.

Simple.

The problem with the injury excuse with regard to M. Harrison is that he's old and it's not surprising he won't last forever. Just like we know Seau/R. Harrison/etc are more likely to break down due to age - so is M. Harrison. Too bad for them that he's getting old.

the problem with the injury excuse is that New England set league records for injuries in 2003 and 2004 and won the super bowl both years.

i don't want to hear it.

One of the most improbable comebacks we've ever seen, and the pundits refuse to allow us to bask in the afterglow for a single day.

The Colts weren't healthy....the Colts proved they can beat the Pats....it won't matter in the end (games that decide homefield advantage tend to "matter" but whatever)

I suppose Wayne, Clark and Addai are simply not enough weapons for Manning to even look average....I agree, he definitely NEEDS Harrison....at least he doesn't have the "bad defense" excuse for losing games anymore....not that the Colts ever lost a game to us by allowing a ton of points anyway.

P.S. I love Randy and was one of the few on this board campaigning for him over the past two years....BUT when Peyton was racking up 49 TDs I don't remember ANYONE in the media remotely trying to argue that Marvin Harrison or his O-line were the real "MVPs"?? These double standards are embarassing. Chris Mortensen can start his team with Favre and I'll take #12....we'll compare rings at the end. Favre is carrying his team for sure, but Tom did the same thing, and in more spectacular fashion over the past two seasons. All these Brady haters are coming out of the closet....they laughably nominate the O-line (FIVE players) over Brady for MVP but where were they when teams weren't afraid to blitz us and were beating the crap out of the QB on a weekly basis while he was leading the league in passing????

naclone drops a nuclear bomb on the idiotic, whiny, little girl trolls...nice work...well worth waiting for

Here's my problem with the injury excuse:

It's football! People get injured all the time, everybody is at least a little banged up from day one and durability is as necessary a skill as speed or strength.

Lets not forget that we were without our best running back this season, Sammy Morris. He went on IR this week. He could have been a huge factor in this game. But who knows? Harrison. Who Knows?

Injuries are part of the game. We beat them without Seymour in the playoffs. They need to stop the excuses and move on!

I was traveling back to California so maybe I missed it but I didn't hear anyone, player or coach, of the Colts say it. IMNSHO, you play the teams that are in your schedule with the players you have available. I didn't like some using the injury excuse with last year's AFCC game either. It is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back