PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Practice Squad

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone earned a spot on the PS in your eyes?

WR Quentin Sims and DT Anthony Rashad White deserve it IMO.

Jake Bequette and Ras-I Dowling :cool:

White has caught my attention too. I wondered if he might even be a shocker to make the 53-man roster. (There always seems to be at least one...)

I'd keep the punter, Allen too.

I'd like to see two or three spots on the OL, but they'd have to be from other teams cuts based on what I've seen.

The safety, K. Davis....?

Since I don't have Tebow making it, perhaps another QB.

I don't know if any of Stankiewitch, Kline, Zusevics or McDonald have played well enough to make the roster over a veteran FA available in the next week but a couple of them should make the PS. Winn, Sims, White, Davis, maybe a real developmental QB.

Quentin Sims and Mark Harrison as developmental WRs.
Grissom and/or Vellano at DT.
An LB prospect or two, likely Beauharnais and Rivera.
Josh Kline or Stankiewitch if they don't make the 53.

It's difficult for me to speculate on who should be targeted for the Practice Squad when there are several players that are on the roster bubble. The best potential PS players are among those that we are unsure of whether or not they will be on the 53-man roster.

With that caveat I would suggest at least one from each of these groups, depending on who does not make the roster:

• WR: someone from this group are easier to predict since the WR position seems to be set; Kamar Aiken and/or Quentin Sims

• OL: one or two of Matt Stankiewitch, Josh Kline, Chris McDonald, Markus Zusevics

• RB: James Develin if cut; possibly George Winn (has BB not been playing him so other teams won't sign him?)

• DT: one or two of Cory Grissom, Marcus Forston, Joe Vellano, Anthony White

• DE: Michael Buchanan if cut; not sure if it's worth it to bother with Jake Bequette at this point

• CB: one of Brandon Jones, LeQuan Lewis, Justin Green; Ras-I Dowling is PS eligible but it's probably time to move on

• S: Kanorris Davis

I would rather not use one of the limited PS spots on a punter. Mark Harrison starts the season on PUP, so there's no reason to use a PS spot on him. AT LB I think Beauharnais will make the roster and Rivera is not eligible for PS; Tarpinian is PS eligible but it's time to move on from him as well.

Last edited:
^ I'm not sure that Develin is still PS eligible, but you probably know better than I do.

On a more serious note, I have the PS being these guys:
WR Aiken
P Allen
DE Bequette
CB Dowling
WR Sims
C Stankiewitch
LB Tarpinian
DT White

They aren't going to keep a PS of 8 players from the preseason roster, though. I'm guessing the guys most likely to actually be on the PS are Aiken, Tarpinian, and one of the UDFA OL guys (Stankiewitch perhaps). I would have put Grissom on the list, possibly even the 53, but I'm not sure about his injury. I have Tebow being cut so I'd like to see a QB with actual potential on the PS. I don't think Dowling would make it to the PS and I don't know if they'd even want to keep Bequette.

I wouldn't be surprised if BB has his eye on Tampa and Philly cuts. Having an extended look at the bottom of their rosters may have yielded some valuable info on potential fits for our Practice Squad.

I wouldn't be surprised if BB has his eye on Tampa and Philly cuts. Having an extended look at the bottom of their rosters may have yielded some valuable info on potential fits for our Practice Squad.

I took a look around the league last night and one team that really stood out to me with DT depth was NYG. They have six decent players that they can't possible all keep. Maybe we can grab one of them:

- Linval Joseph
- Marvin Austin
- Jonathan Hankins
- Cullen Jenkins
- Mike Patterson
- Shaun Rogers

I think none of the first three will be cut (except maybe Austin as he hasn't been healthy) but the three vets on the bottom might be of interest to us.

Other than the Giants, no other teams stood out to me too much. It's pretty rough out there right now. Maybe some of these teams that switched from 4-3 to 3-4 will have some castaways.

It's difficult for me to speculate on who should be targeted for the Practice Squad when there are several players that are on the roster bubble. The best potential PS players are among those that we are unsure of whether or not they will be on the 53-man roster.

With that caveat I would suggest at least one from each of these groups, depending on who does not make the roster:

• WR: someone from this group are easier to predict since the WR position seems to be set; Kamar Aiken and/or Quentin Sims

• OL: one or two of Matt Stankiewitch, Josh Kline, Chris McDonald, Markus Zusevics

• RB: James Develin if cut; possibly George Winn (has BB not been playing him so other teams won't sign him?)

• DE: Michael Buchanan if cut; not sure if it's worth it to bother with Jake Bequette at this point

• CB: one of Brandon Jones, LeQuan Lewis, Justin Green; Ras-I Dowling is PS eligible but it's probably time to move on

I would rather not use one of the limited PS spots on a punter. Mark Harrison starts the season on PUP, so there's no reason to use a PS spot on him. AT LB I think Beauharnais will make the roster and Rivera is not eligible for PS; Tarpinian is PS eligible but it's time to move on from him as well.
Harrison and Armstead will start the season on Reserve/NFI. I think
Allen will be added to the practice squad if he passes waivers. Mesko
is in the last year of his contract and has the same agent as Wes Welker.

- Linval Joseph
- Marvin Austin
- Jonathan Hankins
- Cullen Jenkins
- Mike Patterson
- Shaun Rogers

I think none of the first three will be cut (except maybe Austin as he hasn't been healthy) but the three vets on the bottom might be of interest to us.

It was Marvin Austin that smashed Mark Sanchez's shoulder last night, so he must not be that hurt.

Here's a link that shows his good game and plays from last night which included a sack, a few hurries, and the play against Sanchez :

DT Marvin Austin shows off physical play vs. Jets

[*]OL: one or two of Matt Stankiewitch, Josh Kline, Chris McDonald, Markus Zusevics

We may have one/two of those guys on the active 53 man roster, definitely at least ONE of them (Stankiewitch or Zusevics in my opinion).

I think the following have decent chances of making the practice squad:

--WR Sims

--RB Winn

--DT White, Grissom, Vellano

--P Allen

--OL C.McDonald and ONE of Stankiewitch/Zusevics

Practice Squad Candidates:

Offense
Kline, Josh
McDonald, Chris
Sims, Quentin
Stankiewitch, Matt
Zusevics, Markus

Defense
Bequette, Jake
Grissom, Cory
Tarpinian, Jeff
Vellano, Joe

It was Marvin Austin that smashed Mark Sanchez's shoulder last night, so he must not be that hurt.

Here's a link that shows his good game and plays from last night which included a sack, a few hurries, and the play against Sanchez :

DT Marvin Austin shows off physical play vs. Jets

Right. I just said that because he's played 8 games in 2 seasons. Some Giants beat writers have him as a bubble player currently and say it's him versus Shaun Rogers for the last spot at DT.

Right. I just said that because he's played 8 games in 2 seasons. Some Giants beat writers have him as a bubble player currently and say it's him versus Shaun Rogers for the last spot at DT.

I think you'd be right that he's probably squarely on the bubble, so your point is quite valid either way.

2 DT's
2 OL's
1 WR
1 DE (Buchanan or Bequette)
1 S/ST (Davis)
1 from another team

[..]

I personally can't gauge where we're at with Tarpinian right now. He contributes on ST which is nice and he's one of our faster LBs. He also has long blonde hair and plays the LB position so you think that he would be a shoe-in for success...:D

Here is a list of the players with Practice Squad eligibility:

RB George Winn
FB Ben Bartholomew

WR Kamar Aiken (released)
WR Johnathan Haggerty
WR Quentin Sims

TE Evan Landi (released)

OL Josh Kline
OL Chris McDonald
OL Luke Patterson
OL Brice Schwab
OL Matt Stankiewitch