Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Political Forum

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by wistahpatsfan, Sep 1, 2008.

1. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I've been posting on this forum for a long time. I don't know how many posts I have, but probably enough to make me a geek. I started posting here because of a very good, clear-headed discussion about evolution. The posts on that thread were concise, mpersonal, and analytical...something you might have seen had there been an internet during the Enlightenment. I was fascinated because I was new to the Net and online forums (I'm an old construction worker/owner/carpenter with little knowledge of digital advances, but I'm getting better) and I was drawn to the insightfull and novel ideas I was finding here. I am a loyal Pats (and any New England team) fan, but I think I was drawn to the political forum because of the intellectual stimulation - things you can't get on jobsites or cookouts that often. However, I have seeen it go from an intelligent discussion of social and political subjects with well-thought and highly respectful posts to being a cess-pool of insults, humorless "satires" (if you could call it that), childish bickering, and outright viscious attacks on our fellow man.

I don't blame the moderators entirely, but they deserve a share of it. Free Ted Williams and Patters have become reflective of the cartoonish qualities the political left and right in this country have become in the popular media. Sorry guys, but you know it's true. I don't know why you haven't seen fit to keep to the high road as a means of correcting the demise of the discussion here, but you both seem to have chosen to jump into the jello pit and joined in the wrestling match instead of being the referees. That's OK to a point, but there is no way of distinguishing who's the guards and who's the inmates.

The posters have gotten much worse and bear 90% of the blame, though. The subjects of the threads have degenerated into shyte like "Is Obama's a Homo?" Even if the threads are more innocuous sounding, they, more often than not lately, turn into a scene you might find in a mental institution. I suppose this is nothing worse than FOX news or MSNBC are presenting, but that's a pretty low bar, IMO. We reflect the society that is fed to us rather than make the society what we want. Too bad. We're not allowed to have in-depth discussions about complex issues anymore, or you're seen as "overly intrusive", "rocking the boat" or flat-out "wussy". Maybe that's the way our culture wants to go, towards an Idiocracy, and that's too bad, too. If that's the case, I'm grateful that I only have a few more decades to endure what may come (and I worry for my kids) but I'd rather keep positive and do what I can to make things better and respect everyone else, regardless of their philosophy (as long as they're not hurting anyone) and appearances. And for you tit-for-tat first responders....yes, I'm guilty of being less than decent at times, too. I apologize to President Bush *ghahg* (even though he's a traitor and murderer) and to all his chickenhawk rumpswabs.

Being a part of the mess that the Political Forum has become doesn't go along with any plans to improve myself, though. It took me longer than some to get to this point, but I'm outta here. It's been very rewarding until recently, and I feel like I've met some very intresting characters (even though I haven't actually met anyone). This is the only forum I've been involved with since I began to use the web, but I've decided to take all of the time I've spent trying to straighten out the problems of the world via this forum and use it for my (real-life) friends and family. It's a beautiful day and I'm gonna go kayak with my girls this morning and have some beers and a couple of tokes with my neighbors (as soon as it's noon) if one of them is good enough to bring. Then maybe I'll get some nookie with the wife tonight if I'm lucky and don't act like a fool at some point.

Sorry for the long post. I really wish all of you the best and hope you can take some of what I say to heart. Be decent and good luck.

2. PonyExpress

PonyExpress In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +25 / 3 / -0

So you complain about the forum's decorum, and then say the President is a traitor and murderer and his supporters chicken hawk rumpswabs.

OK.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  3. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Later Wistah. I've enjoyed your posts. I hear you that the quality seems to have declined lately, I know that I've posted a lot less because I don't feel that many of the threads are worth posting in. But there's still some great discussions, and not all of the newer posters are juvenile (PatriotsReign for example). I acutally still think it's a pretty cool place. I just ignore the childish kaka.

Thanks for your posts and your past participation though, good luck!

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +519 / 14 / -28

Sorry to see you leave, your choice will dilute the quality of this board.. all the while the crap posts continue.. hope you reconsider your decision... it is getting lonelier by the day here..

My feelings about the mods are well documented, they are essentially leaders and when they fail to show leadership or fairness this board goes down the shytter.. they need to step it up and get their crap together..Ian stepped in and gave the board direction, but this has largely been ignored..

5. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

You're a good dude wistah. We've had our moments, but you are a good dude in my book.

You're right in the quality, and I myself only bounce in occasionally anymore, and when I do, it just to make a joke, or say something dumb to illistrate the "dumbness" of some of the stuff posted here. I never expect intelectual debate anymore. It's sad, but as BB would say - It is what it is.

I suggest just taking a break, like a lot of us have, and popping in from time to time. I'm certain, once the election is over (assuming the country survives :rolleyes: ) this forum will mellow a LITTLE.

Anyways, I'll be sad to see you go totally.

6. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Good point, PinNY, hopefully the cessation of this election cycle helps the mood here lighten a little bit. However, I think that after this election, as in 2000 and 2004, there will be about 50% of the country not happy with the results. So let's all try to make the mood here as light as possible when appropriate.

7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +351 / 15 / -12

Yours was the best voice for centrism in the forum, I felt, so I'm genuinely sorry to see you leave. But, while I'm sorry to see you go, one thing I've learned about this forum, people come and people go. I have no solution yet to what you call "cartoonish" threads. Do you?

These threads represent the state of politics today. I recommend you watch the HBO John Adams series (which from any political point of view is superb), and you'll see that when John Adams ran for President he was called "his esteemed rotundity" and, even though he was a leader of the Revolution, was accused of being a monarchist. The many heated accusations againt Obama, McCain, Palin, and even Biden are part of the political campaign as you well know. The idea is to win, and this forum is a reflecton of the larger battle. It's ugly, but that's the nature of democracy.

The reason I'd like to find a way to make this forum more civil is that it's too cliquish with lots of personal arguments and with a tone that makes it difficult for new people to get involved, especially people who want to discuss the bread and butter issues. I made one rule proposal yesterday, but it was shot down. I think I'm going to make a couple proposals today.

At any rate, Wistah, I hope you'll never say never, and not forget that this forum goes through periodic catharses. Chances are the problems you see in the forum today will be less in a few days.

8. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

How about you just take some time off? I also enjoy your posts and almost always pause and consider your view when it doesn't jive with mine. LMAO, you don't have to get past the first reply to see where your coming from. Anyway, take a break, a beer and a toke as I'll be doing the same and hope to read some of your posts down the road.

9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +813 / 2 / -9

Whista,
    Sing a song,

WHEN IT’S LATE IN THE EVENING I CLIMB UP THE HILL
    AND SURVEY ALL MY KINGDOM WHILE EVERYTHING’S STILL
    ONLY ME AND THE SKY AND AN OLD WHIPPOORWILL
    SINGING SONGS IN THE TWILIGHT ON MOCKINGBIRD HILL

Never take a "talk forum" Seriously, all a talk forum is, is a bunch of guys standing on a street corner yelling and laughing at each other.....

If you sometimes enjoyed it don't leave it forever, sooner or later you will see something and say to yourself "I gotta tell those neo-con bastards about that one"

:bricks:

10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +657 / 7 / -2

You'll be back Wistah. Talking politics is like doing drugs. You can try to quit, but every now and then you need your fix. :D

[​IMG]

Seriously though, see you soon pal. I agree with ya, people in here are becoming overly childish. We need to grow up a little more when we post. ;)

11. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in, budda boom.

12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,364 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

[​IMG]

13. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

yeah, i'm considering the same...

there are too many other sites out there where informed, civil, and honest political discussion takes place... capital hill blue being my personal favorite...

when you honestly salivate over the idea of strangling another poster for their dishonesty and personal antagonation, you've officially reached the point where it's time to gear down and find respectful discussion elsewhere...

14. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,364 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

PC .. you're a good poster here ... but respectfull ... i think not. You often come here as an antagonist and antagonist and respectfull are not the same. Most of your posts have you picking a fight ... please .. respectful ... I threw up in my mouth reading that.

15. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

well, swallow it down... because i never said i was respectful all the time... i said i prefer respectful discourse... fact is, it's just not in my nature to take the gloves off first versus another poster who's never disrespected me... but i have a long memory, and if i take you to task, you need only use the search feature to see where it orginated.... period.

case in point: here's you establishing our rapport from the very beginning here... yeah... oh well... you earned it.

16. PF1996

PF1996 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Considering?? If someone really wants "informed political discussion", then this is the last forum to visit. When one has a forum that's at least 70% rightwing infected, a moderator who doesn't enforce the rules consistently (or doesn't appear to understand the concept of consistent application of the rules) and another who appears to have power issues, then what you get is what you have right now; a cesspool of immaturity and irrationality that's good for simple entertainment and nothing more.

17. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,364 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Just me speaking from the heart.

18. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,364 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

This was never intended to be a serious political forum. This was intended to be
    a loose forum where politics and issues were discussed. This is Patsfans.com a football site ... not a political site.

19. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Oh, i have little doubt... But I think you get my point, loud and clear...

20. italia44

italia44 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I remember a news story on Tv a couple of months ago.The reporter was interviewing a young girl who was a member of a group of young people,students and young professionals.

The story was about how more young people are getting involved in politics and the issues of the day.

The young woman was passionate and excited over their weekly meetings and how important it was for more young people to get involved.

She identified herself as a democrat and the reporter asked her whether there were any young republicans in her group.

She replied:Oh,no ....We don't allow any republicans in our group,what could they possibly bring to the discussions.

At the end,I sat there stunned.

I don't won't to segway this into a political statement,just that it gave me a feeling of hopelessness.

This is why you need to stay with the forum,
    just to keep the lines of communication open.

Without that,things really will become hopeless.
    Peter