PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The playcalling...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
While I won't pretend to be an offensive coordinator, and maybe it's just the inconsistent execution of the passing offense thus far, but so far this season I'm not blown away by our offensive play calling. Just like last season, there is just something missing about our offense since Weis left.

Thus far, if I had to pick one word to describe the offensive play calling, I'd go with "perfunctory." Of course, I have to look it up to make sure I'm using it right, but I'm pretty sure I am.

Here's my wishlist for next game...

1) more screen passes, please set up Watson for a screen
2) yes, i know our running game is nasty, but a no huddle 2 minute drill style offense would keep the D off balance, and Brady is at his best in this scenario
3) continue play action, they used it a couple times this game, and it does work
4) get our play makers the ball and let them rack up some YAC. chad jackson, maroney, faulk, watson, etc., let's see what these guys do with the ball in their hands, whether its screens, short passes, whatever, just let these guys create yardage, don't put it all on tom to make perfect passes.

I'm not worried. It's good to play methodically like that. if you have success with the run, keep to it, especially if you're ahead even if it means the passing game never gets into rhythm. You simply can't complain about going up 24-0. I liked it. A lot.

Two Brady errors brought the Jets back. It wasn't the playcalling, that's for sure, although I think Brady should have been looking for short completions. Nonetheless, Gabriel had his man beat but Brady couldn't get it to him.

I agree with you that the Patriots aren't using a number of plays but consider. They were way ahead. At that point, you don't want to show your hand for future games. You're also trying to milk the clock.

The offense was fine. IMHO the the improvement needed isn't about playcalling. It's about Brady not making the mistakes, and it's about having the WR's learn the playbook. As Brady just said, the new guys are doing great but he can't use 4 years worth of plays with them. It will simply take time. This offense is absolutely awesome. We wouldn't even be discussing this if a couple of tackles had been made. We were on the wrong side of four big plays: an interception, a fumble and two tackle-breaking runs by their wide receivers.

Last edited:
I think the word is "greedy". The Pats had a 24-0 lead, with Dillon and Maroney active for the game, and came out in the second half throwing the ball all over the field. And, half of what they were throwing were deep homerun balls. Made no sense to me that we would run less in the second half with a 24 point lead than we did in the first half.

Come out after the half and run the damn clock. The Jets were on their heels and we let them off the hook trying to hit long balls downfield.

BradyManny2344 said:
While I won't pretend to be an offensive coordinator, and maybe it's just the inconsistent execution of the passing offense thus far, but so far this season I'm not blown away by our offensive play calling. Just like last season, there is just something missing about our offense since Weis left.

Thus far, if I had to pick one word to describe the offensive play calling, I'd go with "perfunctory." Of course, I have to look it up to make sure I'm using it right, but I'm pretty sure I am.

Here's my wishlist for next game...

1) more screen passes, please set up Watson for a screen
2) yes, i know our running game is nasty, but a no huddle 2 minute drill style offense would keep the D off balance, and Brady is at his best in this scenario
3) continue play action, they used it a couple times this game, and it does work
4) get our play makers the ball and let them rack up some YAC. chad jackson, maroney, faulk, watson, etc., let's see what these guys do with the ball in their hands, whether its screens, short passes, whatever, just let these guys create yardage, don't put it all on tom to make perfect passes.

I agree with you our offensive plays call seem to be out of sync. It's hit or miss and questionable at times. To me Ben Watson should be a go to guy like Gates in San Diego. Use him to create mis matches.

P.S. Go on a head and pretend to be an offensive coordinator. I do it all the time. You actually can't screw anything up. Sometimes I pretend to be President.

If the running game is effective, don't deviate from it!

rabthepat said:
I agree with you our offensive plays call seem to be out of sync. It's hit or miss and questionable at times. To me Ben Watson should be a go to guy like Gates in San Diego. Use him to create mis matches.

P.S. Go on a head and pretend to be an offensive coordinator. I do it all the time. You actually can't screw anything up. Sometimes I pretend to be President.

:D LOL.

I'm with you. I wish they'd use Ben Watson like they did Ben Coates. I'm dying to see them run a screen to Watson like they did in the Jax playoff game, the guy's just so tough to bring down.

Is it me, or did the short passing game leave with Charlie Weis? Brady is probably the best in the league at the 15-25 yard range, but I'm seriously dying just to see Chad Jackson Ben Watson or Maroney get the ball with a little space and see what they can do with it.

Last edited:
They need to spread out a bit. too many formations are congested.

hwc said:
I think the word is "greedy". The Pats had a 24-0 lead, with Dillon and Maroney active for the game, and came out in the second half throwing the ball all over the field. And, half of what they were throwing were deep homerun balls. Made no sense to me that we would run less in the second half with a 24 point lead than we did in the first half.

Come out after the half and run the damn clock. The Jets were on their heels and we let them off the hook trying to hit long balls downfield.

Exactly. Josh and probably Tommy decided to push the envelope. What compounded it was we forgot how to tackle in the 3rd quarter and fell victim to one of those patented WTF was that plays that Chrebet used to make. The JETS aren't very good, but when Noodle is healthy there is a contageous no quit in him and he can at times appear to be pulling rabbits out of his ass.

Trying to run the clock out for an entire half is Martyball at it's best. The long pass to Gabriel wasn't a bad call, it was poorly executed. Brady underthrew him. If your goi9ng to miss ona play like that you should miss long, not short. IMO, going for the throat is always the way to go.
Almost all the plays that didn't work weren't bad play calls, they were poorly executed plays. The Jests got 2 big plays that went for 71 and 46 yards that had tackling been executed properly should have each gone for 1/2 the yards and the score wouldn't have been so close. The Patriots dominated where it counts the most. They owned the LOS on both sides of the ball. IMO, the Patriots weren't lucky to win, the Jests were lucky to make the score close.

NEM said:
As I said that it would. But halfway through the third quarter they went away from it, and almost blew the game.

NEM did you give this guy permission to intrude on your territory? :rofl:

Just kidding BM ... NEM rode Weiss's butt every year while he was here. :rofl:

PatsSteve1 said:
Trying to run the clock out for an entire half is Martyball at it's best. The long pass to Gabriel wasn't a bad call, it was poorly executed. Brady underthrew him. If your goi9ng to miss ona play like that you should miss long, not short. IMO, going for the throat is always the way to go.
Almost all the plays that didn't work weren't bad play calls, they were poorly executed plays. The Jests got 2 big plays that went for 71 and 46 yards that had tackling been executed properly should have each gone for 1/2 the yards and the score wouldn't have been so close. The Patriots dominated where it counts the most. They owned the LOS on both sides of the ball. IMO, the Patriots weren't lucky to win, the Jests were lucky to make the score close.

They were bad calls because this team isn't ready to execute them effectively yet.

I would certainly have done more running. I think Josh needs to learn that our running game is good enough to actually win games now and not just chew up the clock. That coupled with Brady still developing chemistry with his WR (and will be doing so for some time) makes an emphasis on the running game more necessary.

That said, it wouldn't be an issue if not for a freaky set of plays that are unlikely to be repeated any time soon (the nutty Cotchery TD and the long TD with about 16,000 missed tackles).

PatsSteve1 said:
The long pass to Gabriel wasn't a bad call, it was poorly executed. Brady underthrew him. If your goi9ng to miss ona play like that you should miss long, not short. IMO, going for the throat is always the way to go.
Almost all the plays that didn't work weren't bad play calls, they were poorly executed plays.

Brady still can't throw the ball deep, under-throwing 2 deep receivers that I saw. The idea is avoid throwing the ball short and into the hands of the defenders but that's exactly what Brady did. His QB rating was 74, worse than in the Bills game (83). Pennington's rating was 93 but he did have Coles.

Brady was very lucky this was a win.

Last edited:
MoLewisrocks said:
They were bad calls because this team isn't ready to execute them effectively yet.

Brady isn't ready to throw the ball far enough yet? -:) That's dumb. Please don;lt tell me it's beacuse he can't judge Doug's speed. If they hadn't worked on that very play in practice, they'd have never called it and it would have never been in the gameplan. You don't call plays in a game you haven't practiced

PatsSteve1 said:
Brady isn't ready to throw the ball far enough yet? -:) That's dumb. Please don;lt tell me it's beacuse he can't judge Doug's speed. If they hadn't worked on that very play in practice, they'd have never called it and it would have never been in the gameplan. You don't call plays in a game you haven't practiced

He's had less than a half dozen practice sessions with Jackson and Gabriel. You seem to think this is easy. Brady threw a second TD strike to Jackson but he heard footsteps on that one and failed to catch a perfectly thrown pass. He just doesn't know with certainty what to expect from these players, let alone in game conditions. Unfamiliar players don't always execute in game situations they way they have in limited and controlled practice settings. Perhaps they thought that up 24-0 it was time to test some theories, but in a division game on the road with a wildcard like Pennington who tends to play better when the game seems out of reach - I'd have danced with the guys who got me to 24-0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes