PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Play to Run for Tim Tebow

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanvamp

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Short yardage situation (preferably within the 5 yard line). Brady in the shotgun, Tebow next to him as a RB in shotgun formation. The Pats obviously do this all the time anyway, even with Hernandez. You've got Gronk and Hernandez at TE and Amendola split wide. We know Tebow is terrific on taking those handoffs and pounding ahead for a handful of yards. So they can go direct snap to him. They can use him to block for Brady. They can snap to Brady, fake the handoff to Tebow, and hit Gronk or Hernandez. Or then can direct snap to Tebow and he hits Gronk (a huge target that even Tebow might have a hard time missing) for a short TD.

:D:D:D

I'd rather the Patriots handed the ball off to a Running Back. I also like my Quarterbacks with high completion percentages and my Wide Receivers and Tight Ends running crisp routes catching the football.

OR they could use Blount, or Vereen (who was pretty much 100% at the short yardage TD).

There's 53 roster spots and a ton of RBs, WRs and TEs who would benefit the team more in the long run.

Short yardage situation (preferably within the 5 yard line). Brady in the shotgun, Tebow next to him as a RB in shotgun formation. The Pats obviously do this all the time anyway, even with Hernandez. You've got Gronk and Hernandez at TE and Amendola split wide. We know Tebow is terrific on taking those handoffs and pounding ahead for a handful of yards. So they can go direct snap to him. They can use him to block for Brady. They can snap to Brady, fake the handoff to Tebow, and hit Gronk or Hernandez. Or then can direct snap to Tebow and he hits Gronk (a huge target that even Tebow might have a hard time missing) for a short TD.

:D:D:D

Brady throws the ball, chief.

Direct snap run: Better off giving to Ridley
Direct snap pass: Better off letting Brady throw
Handoff to Tebow: Better off giving to Ridley
Catcher out of the backfield: Better off giving to Vereen
Decoy/Playaction: Better off with Hernandez or Vereen
Blocker for Brady: Better of QB sneak under center

He'll be alright as an emergency 3rd string QB, or as a part time FB, or 5th string TE. Along with some mediocre STs play. His value isn't in any starting level play. It's in that he can do a bunch of different things as a backup player.

These are all true in a vacuum. But when you add in the fact that the opposing D needs to ACCOUNT for a Tebow like threat in addition to Brady, it leaves a possible exploitable hole or weakness that could be larger than any of the single options above alone.

These are all true in a vacuum. But when you add in the fact that the opposing D needs to ACCOUNT for a Tebow like threat in addition to Brady, it leaves a possible exploitable hole or weakness that could be larger than any of the single options above alone.
It leaves an exploitable hole for a Running Back, not a player who thinks he's a Quarterback being forced to play another position so he can stay in the NFL.

I'm not going to hide the fact that I have very strong negative feelings toward the signing of Tebow in any way, shape, form or duration as a football move.

I dont want Brady running around out there trying to block anyone - He'll get killed and he'd be a liability on the field doing anything but throwing the ball.

Who needs to account for Tebow?

Tebow has a career rushing average of 5.0. Most teams account for a running back that has a rushing average of 5.0.

And, while he cannot throw nearly as well as other quarterbacks, he *can* throw much better than most running backs. Since many teams have a HB option trick play, if Tebow gets the ball in the backfield it at least means that other teams have to *consider* the fact that he can throw it to a guy that's downfield.

So yes, teams will account for Tebow.

You hugely overestimate how much teams "account" for Tebow as a passer.

Ridley can gain over 4 YPC and is a threat for 20+ gains
Brady is playing at an all time level- arguably the all time best

Tebow is a minimal threat as a runner
Tebow is not a threat as a passer

Tebow has a career rushing average of 5.0. Most teams account for a running back that has a rushing average of 5.0.

And, while he cannot throw nearly as well as other quarterbacks, he *can* throw much better than most running backs. Since many teams have a HB option trick play, if Tebow gets the ball in the backfield it at least means that other teams have to *consider* the fact that he can throw it to a guy that's downfield.

So yes, teams will account for Tebow.

You're missing the point.

Taking snaps away from either Ridley or Brady is a huge mistake. Ridley has the potential to be a top 5 running back. Brady is arguably having the greatest 3 year stretch in NFL history.

Only play I want to see tebow run is named the "release and locker cleanout". The guy's only offer was from some team called the omaha steaks or something like that.. and a cfl team but only as a backup... That says a lot right there.

You hugely overestimate how much teams "account" for Tebow as a passer.

Ridley can gain over 4 YPC and is a threat for 20+ gains
Brady is playing at an all time level- arguably the all time best

Tebow is a minimal threat as a runner
Tebow is not a threat as a passer

You're missing the point.

Taking snaps away from either Ridley or Brady is a huge mistake. Ridley has the potential to be a top 5 running back. Brady is arguably having the greatest 3 year stretch in NFL history.

Gronkowski is one of the best players in the NFL at catching passes. Why on earth would you ever run a play designed to throw at a lesser receiver, like, say, Daniel Fells? Every pass that is designed to go at Fells is a pass that could have been designed for Gronk. What idiotic coaches the Patriots must have.

The play to run for Tim Tebow???

well...first off , the Pats have to move the practice field to the side of RT 1...either side, north or south will do...then wait for about five or ten tractor trailers highballing it about 80 mph ...as they roll past the Razor the coaches yell..."Timmy!!...Go long!!!!..."..and then run the Chosen Turd right out into the oncoming semis....best play I can think of...

Gronkowski is one of the best players in the NFL at catching passes. Why on earth would you ever run a play designed to throw at a lesser receiver, like, say, Daniel Fells? Every pass that is designed to go at Fells is a pass that could have been designed for Gronk. What idiotic coaches the Patriots must have.

I'm pretty sure there are very very very few plays where it's designed to go to Fells or any other receiver over Gronk. Sometimes it just happens Gronk is covered and he had to throw to the next guy in the progression.

The difference is you're guaranteeing that Tebow is either running or throwing the ball.

There is a difference between going through progressions and throwing to Fells, and deciding to go to Fells over Gronkowski.

There is a huge difference between going through your progressions and hitting the 4th option, and deciding to bench Brady in favor of Tim Freaking Tebow.

He had 32 career TDs before the Jets debacle ( in a limited time ) , he also has a career 5.0 yards per carry , was also #1 in the nfl TD efficiency in the red zone in 2011 , but keep believing he's the worst player ever , no need for facts to get in the way of that narrative .

I'd rather the Patriots handed the ball off to a Running Back. I also like my Quarterbacks with high completion percentages and my Wide Receivers and Tight Ends running crisp routes catching the football.

OR they could use Blount, or Vereen (who was pretty much 100% at the short yardage TD).

There's 53 roster spots and a ton of RBs, WRs and TEs who would benefit the team more in the long run.

Brady throws the ball, chief.

He'll be alright as an emergency 3rd string QB, or as a part time FB, or 5th string TE. Along with some mediocre STs play. His value isn't in any starting level play. It's in that he can do a bunch of different things as a backup player.

While I agree with all of you, I can see a situation for the original post. It involves us being up 40 or so points vs. the Jets and/or Denver, but ...:D

Snarky answer, the Steelers.:) (I know what you mean, but any chance to rib the Steelers is good.)

He had 32 career TDs before the Jets debacle ( in a limited time ) , he also has a career 5.0 yards per carry , was also #1 in the nfl TD efficiency in the red zone in 2011 , but keep believing he's the worst player ever , no need for facts to get in the way of that narrative .

He once completed only 2 passes in an entire nfl game.. do you understand how hard that is to do without just firing the ball directly at your feet over and over? He's worthless as a QB and he's dead last on the RB depth chart here too.

Nitro...you should offer the Chosen Lummox a libation that uses your nick as the main ingredient....just a thought...can't....stop...thinking....bad...things...arrrgghhhh

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes