Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Pirates ... Are they like the 'Students' of Iran Fame?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Apr 10, 2009.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,047 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Just wondering here ... remember the hostage crisis in Iran ... the' students' we were told. So now we are supposed to believe that some ragtag pirates take ships hostage and demand a few million in ransom. Sorry ... but I'm not buying the 'pirate' thing here. I mean a poor impoverished pirate could make due with a few grand ... then again ... these aren't simply poor pirates are they. WTF with our media ... call it what it is. This is major terrorism, not pirates. :mad::mad::mad:

Four elite snipers shooting at the same instant ... one bullet in each 'pirate' cranium.

Why are 'pirates' afforded legal and/or civilized rights here? Just asking???
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

No there real proffesionals. They now have Russian, german, japanese, chines, American and nationalities i've forgotten held hostage. This is the biggest buisness in Somalia, last year they raked in $80 million in ransoms. I was reading this morning that they operate mainly out of one port in somalia, and that they use "mother" ships and communicate with satalite telephones. Everything is coordinated.

The money is divided up five ways:

20% goes to capital investment...these guys invest in the stockmarket or something similar.At least thats what i took it to mean.

20% goes to the somalie government to bribe them.

20%goes towards arms and supplies

20% goes to the leaders and

20% is divided up between the actual pirates
  3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,047 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Yeah ... makes such a neat media story to call them pirates.
    One a-hole decides they are pirates and the rest of the media follows suit.

They are terrorists ... they are professional and the world needs to send a message and soon. I would start with drones that take them out ... 1 missle ... no questions, no trial no sympathy.
  4. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +556 / 7 / -9

I'm not sure anyone's worried about their "rights." I think it's the hostages that are concerning them.

A couple new developments:

The French apparently did a rescue today, and got back 3 or 4 hostages, plugged a few pirates, and regrettably lost 1 guy.

The pirates phoned home to their buddies with a couple of other crews, who are moving to the same location, with the theory that they can threaten to kill more guys if they don't get freed.

Icy, I favor your solution, actually. I can't say I'm anything like certain that we'd get them without losing Captain Badluck Dude... but I am not very sanguine about these motherfrockers running around free and laughing about it.

Finally, as to terrorism: I think you're wrong given our current narrow vocabulary, but right in a broader sense. My understanding is that they want money, and to the extent ideology comes into it, they make their money in local wars. So they're a funding mechanism, but are attaining personal wealth in the process, and these are old-style gangsta warlords, to my understanding, where the whole premise is if you win you get the goodies, oh yeah and a bunch of inhabitants of the country are your subjects, but screw them anyhow.

But in the larger sense, terrorists are essentially gangstas with an ideology. That's a huge point. We've made them something to have a "global war" on. Yeah we need to get the bad guys, but we made war okay by talking about a war on terror... then had a war on Iraq instead.

As namby pamby as the right says it is, what terrorism confronts us with is a stateless criminal gang. It's the absolute quintessential example of a problem you have to solve with international cooperation. That's where pressure on the unwilling states comes in. But a war on terror can't be won. Can a crackdown on organized crime? Sure. We won in Chicago, at least in the sense of open gunbattles. Trouble is, you need the cops to do their job... in-country, that's where the FBI comes in. Outside, you need to develop relationships with foreign nations and have them work with you to hunt down the bad guys. That's what George II didn't get.

(This is why the Taliban actually had it coming, btw: they reneged on their international obligations in this sense.)

PFnV
  5. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

I thinks they started out as just plain old pirates. Then as the money started coming in it got sophisticated.
    At first i thought this was a major pain in the azz, but since they mainly opperate out of one port coupled with the fact that they have p!ssed off so many counties i think there on the clock as far as their existance goes. People must be getting sick of paying a million to 2 million a pop.
  6. Bigdogx

Bigdogx Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

They will get theirs shortly, of course not by this wuss bag of a nation. But they will eventually piss of the wrong one who will do the right thing and blow that port straight of the friggin map.
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

If you are in your 30's/40's you will see America taken over by the third world.

With people like Obama, Hillary, Biden, Kerry, and that little gang of nasty bastards that are constantly slobbering and grinning sucking around the "B!tch Pelosi" America will fall, the left wing philosophy has always been to kiss the a$s of the enemy, when your in a street fight and you start slopping and grining and kissing your enemy's a$s you wind up with your teeth sticking out of the back of your head.

With Hillary Monitoring, Kerry thinking about it and Messiah eating Pizza it won't be long before these f---ing Pirates are on Hardball and Mush Mouth Matthews will be giving them all a Hand Job.

I love these Pirates read this link, Harry Truman or Ronnie would know how to handle these "Gang Bangers"
    US ships block help for pirates holding US captain
  8. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +556 / 7 / -9

I think that's what you're seeing now, and I'm plenty proud to say the U.S. crew taking back their ship may have been a rallying point.

And the French -- the French -- took the cue to look all butch about it.

The present "standoff" is not much of a standoff. We're here bickering about how Reagan would be a big tough badazz (like he was with Iran, promising them arms for hostages,) blah blah blah, but there's a guy out there who dies if we do it wrong.

So, we'll see. Suffice it to say, I think RW is right, there is a tipping point. And I think the world's actual nations with actual navies have reached it.

Yargh, matey!

[​IMG]

PFnV
  9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

Our "Gallant Messiah" the Commander In Chief himself is now "Mulling The Situation" the world is safe now from these toothless smelly gang bangers and their little motorboats, Obama Is Mulling It, that one will give Chris Matthews a few orgasms.
    Hillary's Monitoring it
    Kerry is going to have a hearing on it
    Now The prince himself is going to "MULL" it
    Those pirates must be sh!tting their pants now at this news and so is the American Captain.

Mull
    washingtonpost.com
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  10. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

As a participant of "talk like a pirate day" i have to correct you its not Yargh Matey its... AAARRR Matey. For more pirate advice. Me and me beauty visit here from time to time to keep up on the latest pirateise. AAARR for now Matey....

Welcome to the Official site for Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19
  11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +363 / 11 / -27

The Iranians were religious zealots..

The Somalia Pirates are greedy, stealing bastards... not sure they do this because they are muslim or any other religion.
  12. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Pissed the right nation off? Heres a new story i remember from the eighties. During the time when groups like Hezbolah were kidnapping Westerners in Beruit they grabbed a Russian and held him for ransom. I don't remember who he was a contractor, diplomat, or a journalist. But shortly after one of the leaders of the group disappeared... His family found him on their doorstep in a plastic garbage about a week later chopped up into little pieces. The group dropped their demands and let the Russian go. One or more of the hostages is Russian and nothing has happened yet. So my conclusion is: This is harder to do than what we think sitting here behind our computers .
  13. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

They aren't terrorists, terrorists kill people. This is organized crime, their in it for the money.
  14. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

exactly. Their aim is not to instill fear to push an agenda, people need to stop throwing that word around just for effect, it's starting to lose all meaning.

Of course people also don't want to hear that along with the thugs that have joined them, we've been pirating these people for over a decade, forcing them to resort to this stuff for survival. But hey, corporate hegemony and imperialism never have negative consequences on others right?

As usual, the corporate media drops the ball on the real story and lies to us yet again.

Johann Hari: You Are Being Lied to About Pirates

But hey, it's got to be black and white right? Good v. evil? anything more complicated than that requires self-reflection and thought.
  15. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

I wrote a paper on this in a Moral Philosophy class a while ago. I.E How major powers expoited third or fourth world countries and the consiquence. I'm sure I speeld a lot of words wrong, but the proff. didn't seem to care. :D
  16. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Imagine if Somalia started fishing America's waters and then dumped all of their nuclear waste their, effectively starving the people and stealing their livelihood? Would we be considered "terrorists" for responding?
  17. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Not at all under "Just War Theory" Somalia would be defending itself. Defense of a country and its citizens is just cause for taking action against another country.
  18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

They Are Gang Bangers With Boats.

America Won't Handle Its Gang Bangers At Home The Way They Should And America Won't Handle The Pirates The Way They Should, I'm Afraid That This American Captain Is Real Trouble, His President And The Liberal Loons Who Now Run Things In America Are More Concerned With The Pirates "Civil Liberties" Than They Are With The Captain.

Does Israel Sail These Waters, It Would Be Interesting To See How The Jews Would Handle These Pirates.

Pirates:
    They're Not All Bad
  19. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +236 / 8 / -13

They aren't really pirates they are just local community organizers tapping unconventional resources. NMAybe we can give them welfare and start a midnight basketbal league.
  20. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Another substantive post. What exactly do you call the ships stealing their fish and dumping nuclear waste in their waters? Compassionate conservatism?