PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Peyton Manning Hatorade Thread.(mega merged)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

QB for 1 game

• Manning

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • Marino

Votes: 45 66.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wrote this Brady vs. Manning post on Reddit, figured you guys might like it too:

It probably goes without saying that Brady has been the superior statistical quarterback when playing outdoors. He does it far more often, so he's more practiced at it. Even though the outdoor games that Manning played with the Colts were mostly in Tennessee, Florida, or Texas, this mild-weather advantage would be cancelled out by the fact that, when he did play games in bad conditions, he was far out of his element. That's probably why you see the following:

OUTDOORS

Brady: 163 games, 96.1 rating, 63.5% completion percentage, 252.7 YPG, 1.87 TD/G, 0.67 INT/G, 7.5 Y/A
Manning: 112 games, 93.3 rating, 64.9% completion percentage, >271.0 Y/G, 1.83 TD/G, 0.96 INT/G, 7.5 Y/A

...wow, look at that- they're almost identical. Manning actually comes out slightly ahead in yardage and completion percentage, while Brady comes out far ahead in taking care of the ball. The end result is that Brady has a sizable advantage in QB rating, while yards per attempt and TDs per game are virtually identical.

To be honest, when I first ran those numbers some time ago, I expected Manning to look worse by comparison. It's a testament to him that he's done so well in outdoor games in his career. Even if most of them were warm-weather historically, he showed this past year in Denver that he can get it done in tougher climates as well.
Here's the crazy part, though: check out these splits:

INDOORS
Brady: 14 games, 103.1 rating (!), 67.2% completion, 258.7 Y/G, 2.07 TD/G, 0.93 INT/G, 8.4 Y/A
Manning: 112 games, 98.4 rating, 65.5% completion, 260.2 Y/G, 2.06 TD/G, 0.91 INT/G, 7.8 Y/A

That's where it gets really crazy. Makes sense that they're both better indoor quarterbacks than outdoor quarterbacks - that's probably true for just about everyone. What's weird, though, is that Brady is a significantly better indoor quarterback than Manning is. Unfortunately, he only has 14 career indoor games, so he gets to enjoy the statistical advantage that's inherent in playing in a dome only a fraction as much as Peyton does.

The following is what their career stats would be, based on these averages, if Peyton had Brady's career indoor/outdoor game split (163/14), and if Brady had Peyton's career indoor/outdoor split (113/113):

Brady: 99.6 rating, 65.4%, 255.7 Y/G, 1.96 TD/G, 0.81 INT/G, 7.9 Y/A
Manning: 93.7 rating, 65.2%, 265.4 Y/G, 1.95 TD/G, 0.93 INT/G, 7.7 Y/A

If that were the case, we wouldn't even be having a debate. Brady would be identical or better in every stat except yards per game, in most cases by a significant margin. But that wouldn't be fair either.

Instead, let's look at Brady's career career totals if he had played 112 games indoors and 112 games outdoors:

Brady: 224 games, 99.6 rating, 65.4% completion, 57,277 yards, 441 touchdowns, 179 interceptions, 7.95 Y/A

Compared to Manning (using my computed stats instead of his real stats so that he'll get the same rounding error benefit that Brady may have received with QB rating -- the rest of his stats are basically identical, as they should be)

Manning: 224 games, 95.8 rating, 65.2% completion, 59,494 yards, 436 touchdowns, 209 interceptions, 7.65 Y/A

When you compare those numbers, Brady is the superior quarterback by every possible measure except for yards, where Manning has a 4% advantage (which is not insignificant). That is easily countered, however, by Brady's large advantage in QB rating, yards per attempt, and interceptions, as well as slight advantage in touchdowns and completion percentage.
In short, anyone who cites statistical superiority as the reason for taking Manning over Brady is quite literally saying "Manning is better because he plays in a dome more often and has played more games". that's it. Once you control for either of these factors, let alone both, it becomes clear that Brady is statistically superior.

Tangentially, while this is not the same argument as I made above, I'd also point out that I'm a little old-school in that I like a quarterback who can perform in bad weather. The guys who get it done in freezing temperatures, with wind and/or precipitation, are my favorites. They look at that, see the added degree of difficulty, and pretty much just shrug. This is why I think the "Best QB alive" debate fundamentally comes down to Brady/Rodgers, rather than Brady/Manning.
Surprisingly, Manning is a really good cold-weather quarterback. He does better in the 20-40 degree temperature range than 40-60 degrees. Yet another interesting quirk about him that actually makes me like him more. He does almost as well as Brady. Same breakdown that you're used to seeing: Manning has better completion% and more yards and Y/A, TD/G are virtually the same, Brady has better passer rating and far fewer interceptions.
Look at this, though:

PRECIPITATION
Brady: 15 games, 93.1 rating, 61.7%, 269.3 Y/G, 1.40 TD/G, 0.47 INT/G, 7.6 Y/A
Manning: 8 games, 83.8 rating, 64.8%, 256.1 Y/G, 1.38 TD/G, 1.25 INT/G, 7.1 Y/A

Manning is more accurate, Brady has more yards per attempt and a third as many interceptions per game. Brady is handily better.

WINDY
Brady: 63 games, 98.4 rating, 63.2%, 246.4 Y/G, 1.95 TD/G, 0.57 INT/G, 7.5 Y/A
Manning: 31 games, 83.5 rating, 62.3%, 244.7 Y/G, 1.42 TD/G, 1.03 INT/G, 6.8 Y/A

Well damn. Manning isn't a bad quarterback in windy conditions. In the 31 games (2 full seasons worth of data) he's been pretty good. But Brady's been significantly better in every measured category, for the simple reason that he somehow performs better than his career averages when it's windy out. Anecdotally, I can attest to this. I've lost count of the number of games that the Patriots have won seemingly because the opposing QB struggled to place his throws in the wind, while Brady appeared to be basically unaffected by it. It's truly uncanny.

And for this, above all, give me Brady any day. He's simply better in almost every way.

Last edited:
I saw Belichick get asked at a press conference only one time about Tom Brady vrs Peyton Manning. He closed his answer by saying, "there's no other quarterback I'd rather have than Tom Brady."

I've never heard him say that again since. That sort of singling people out isn't his style despite us knowing how tight they are.

But Belichick is also a smart guy. He's got an elephant's memory, and he knows what he told a reporter the one time he was asked.

So I found it sort of ironic that he all of sudden said that again after the Texans game, word for word, when Tom Brady surpassed Montana with playoff wins and Peyton Manning joined a record for one and dones.

Some of you might think this is ridiculous. That's cool.
I just happen to think Belichick is too smart, and chooses his words too carefully, week after week after week, to unknowingly repeat, word for word, the same thing he said the one time way back when when he was asked about the Tom versus Peyton rivalry.

That was Belichick reminding the media in his own way that nobody in the league is better at the position than Brady, no matter what the fan boys in NY media like to pretend, especially not Peyton.
That's my opinion. I say it was intentional.

Belichick is too methodical in everything for it not to have been.
The timing with Tom's record and Peyton going down in flames just seems too coincidental.

Maybe I only noticed because I just happened to have seen that old press conference (I think it was from '07) recently, within the last month or so on youtube somewhere.

What is he suppose to say? Nah, bro, I'll take Peyton Manning over my own Tom Brady.

The Peyton hate goes too far. I'm not pointing this point at you, just Patriot/Tom Brady lovers in general.

We get it, Patriot fans think Brady is better. Why can't you at least respect other players.

If you can't acknowledge the fact that Peyton Manning is one of the best ever, then you're just a moron.

Manning did not choke, his coach did. Manning won the game.

Does anyone for one second seriously thinks John Fox is in the same sentence as Belichick? If Belichick were the coach of that team, for argument sake, is there any doubt they wouldn't have won?

They could have won the game like 5 different times. Peyton made one mistake, but the game should have been over before that.

If Brady stinks it up against the Ravens, some of you are going to feel really silly blasting Manning the way you did. Let's be frank, Brady laid a HUGE egg against them last year. Brady is awesome, but he's not done well against the Ravens historically. I thought he played beyond poop last year against them.

Ravens are definitely a tougher match up than the Texans. Now if Brady lights them up, and wins, then everyone can say "ha" told ya. But if Brady loses, to me it doesn't really justify him any more than Peyton.

So I'd wait before tooting Brady's horn, and putting Peyton down. Such a knee-jerk reaction league.

Last edited:
Manning did not choke, his coach did.

Haven't we heard for 10 years that Manning calls all the plays, with Peyton, you don't even need a coordinator!

Fox's remarks yesterday sound like he made the call, but could he have been protecting Peyton's backside? If Fox stands up there and says that Peyton wanted to take a knee, this story erupts.

I think that Fox took the bullet.

Peyton did say the run on 3rd and 7 was his call, but nobody had the guts to ask him about taking a knee. Both were his own ball-less choices IMO.

What is he suppose to say? Nah, bro, I'll take Peyton Manning over my own Tom Brady.

The Peyton hate goes too far. I'm not pointing this point at you, just Patriot/Tom Brady lovers in general.

We get it, Patriot fans think Brady is better. Why can't you at least respect other players.

If you can't acknowledge the fact that Peyton Manning is one of the best ever, then you're just a moron.

Who here is disrespecting Manning and saying he isn't great? Stop being oversensitive, these are Patriots fans, on a Patriots board, enjoying a little schadenfreude at a rival QB's expense. Relax.

Does anyone for one second seriously thinks John Fox is in the same sentence as Belichick? If Belichick were the coach of that team, for argument sake, is there any doubt they wouldn't have won?

They could have won the game like 5 different times. Peyton made one mistake, but the game should have been over before that.

If Brady stinks it up against the Ravens, some of you are going to feel really silly blasting Manning the way you did. Let's be frank, Brady laid a HUGE egg against them last year. Brady is awesome, but he's not done well against the Ravens historically. I thought he played beyond poop last year against them.

Ravens are definitely a tougher match up than the Texans. Now if Brady lights them up, and wins, then everyone can say "ha" told ya. But if Brady loses, to me it doesn't really justify him any more than Peyton.

So I'd wait before tooting Brady's horn, and putting Peyton down. Such a knee-jerk reaction league.

Manning led the offense to 21 points and his 3 turnovers became 17 points for Baltimore. If he "won" that game, I'd hate to see what it would look like if he "lost" it. Brady laid a HUGE egg last year, and yet he had less turnovers and scored more offensive points than Manning did last Saturday. Stop being silly.

Of course not. Brady is clearly better than Manning, so he'd be foolish to say that Manning is better than Brady.

No, it hasn't. What you call "Peyton hate" hasn't gone far enough. We're still being bombarded with nonsense about how good Manning is, when the numbers and the success/failure ratios say otherwise.

We have worlds of respect for Peyton Manning. He's a top 20 QB, all-time, in the NFL. What was don't have worlds of respect for is the Manning ballwashing as if he were in the conversation for G.O.A.T. when he's a choking dog in the playoffs.

Think on your arguments, and then think on this last part of your post when you're talking about "hate".

Manning took the gas pipe. It was obvious to everyone, including his supporters. Even most of them have tried their defenses with "Yeah, but...." instead of "Nuh uh!".

21 points and 3 turnovers, including one in overtime which killed his team, on a throw that he's acknowledged he shouldn't have made. He choked like he had a bone in his throat.

Last edited:
I would just like to point out that Paul Newman is dead. Just like Manning's Super Bowl aspirations.

John Fox throw the game deciding interception in OT did he?

Smart people know that Brady has Quarterbacked a substantial winning record against the Ravens. How that can be construed as anything other than it is is just downright idiotic.

Last edited:
I just don't get all of the Peyton ballwashing. If you're going to have a mancrush, you can find someone who isn't butt ugly, has a forehead bigger than the state of Texas, doesn't throw pick 6s like they're going out of style, ALWAYS choke in the biggest moments and make annoying commercials.

What's even funnier is it sounds like Peyton's guaranteeing a SB birth next year.

Peyton Manning talks Broncos upset, looks toward New York Super Bowl - The Denver Post

"Next year, the Super Bowl's in New York. So that was a good hurdle for me to be effective in those type of conditions."

Only way Peyton is anywhere near another SB in his career is as a spectator.

WOW, talk about entitled hubris. What's he assuming the inevitable matchup with Goober? Or is he trying to cut off his critics and calm a disappointed fan base that doesn't have 12 years invested in him. And what the hell hurdle is he talking about, losing again in the cold? I think he is again losing his ability to think on his feet following defeat without saying something he will live to regret.

I think that very few posters here would deny Peyton's greatness and his proper place as one of the best ever. Speaking only for myself, however, my problem is that a vast majority of fans across the country consider Peyton to be better than Brady and for a significant number of them, it isn't close. I would suggest that the degree of "Peyton hate", as you put it, among Pats fans pales in comparison to the degree of "Brady hate" among non-Pats fans. The perpetual "tongue bathing" lavished upon Peyton, and for that matter upon his brother, by the media only adds to my resentment. Just my opinion.

ummm, the debate between Brady and manning isnt about opinions, its about facts

Brady IS better than Manning

as soon as the world begins to accept this, Pats fans will chill out, we just cant fathom how stupid someone must be to truly believe manning is greater than Brady

According to the author it's everyone else's fault but Manning's. Unbelievable.

The fact that he tries to blame the kicker for the Steelers loss tells us all we need to know. Manning throws a pick that's erroneously ruled an incomplete on the same drive, and the kick was an obviously missable 46 yarder that would only have tied up the game, but it's still the kicker's fault. So, Manning doesn't have to take the bad (dropped pass, fumble, whatever) on his resume AND he's supposed to skate on the crap he got lucky with.

:bricks:

That writer should apologize to the world for writing such a piece of garbage.

The fact that he tries to blame the kicker for the Steelers loss tells us all we need to know. Manning throws a pick that's erroneously ruled an incomplete on the same drive, and the kick was an obviously missable 46 yarder that would only have tied up the game, but it's still the kicker's fault. So, Manning doesn't have to take the bad (dropped pass, fumble, whatever) on his resume AND he's supposed to skate on the crap he got lucky with.

:bricks:

That writer should apologize to the world for writing such a piece of garbage.

People make excuses for Manning's playoff shortcomings, that's just the way it is. For instance, just compare the number of times the fact Brady lost two Superbowls is brought up, with the amount of times the fact Manning threw a game-ending pick-6 on a Superbowl is brought up. Honestly, it's ridiculous. I've even seen Manning fans bring up the "but Brady lost twice to the Giants!" argument, in a non-ironic manner, countless times.

Last edited:
I think that very few posters here would deny Peyton's greatness and his proper place as one of the best ever. Speaking only for myself, however, my problem is that a vast majority of fans across the country consider Peyton to be better than Brady and for a significant number of them, it isn't close. I would suggest that the degree of "Peyton hate", as you put it, among Pats fans pales in comparison to the degree of "Brady hate" among non-Pats fans. The perpetual "tongue bathing" lavished upon Peyton, and for that matter upon his brother, by the media only adds to my resentment. Just my opinion.

Not just your opinion. Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back