PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The person who will benefit the most from the new WRs

zippo59

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Ben Watson. He took a real beating this year because for a while he was our most consistent and dangerous receiving threat and he operated in the middle of the field or, the danger zone. He constantly had safeties and linebackers all over him pounding him before and after he got the ball. It limited what he could do as a receiver as well as contributed to his injuries and fumbling problems. The threat we now have on the outside will give him space to work with in the middle and I expect an even better year from him this year. He's entering his third year of play which is often when players come into their own. If he shows the same improvement from his second to third year as his first to second year then he is gonna be a good one.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that its not Watson, but Tom Brady who will benefit most. Now, if you mean a player other than Brady, then I probably agree with you, though I think Maroney will benefit as well.

Ben Watson. He took a real beating this year because for a while he was our most consistent and dangerous receiving threat and he operated in the middle of the field or, the danger zone. He constantly had safeties and linebackers all over him pounding him before and after he got the ball. It limited what he could do as a receiver as well as contributed to his injuries and fumbling problems. The threat we now have on the outside will give him space to work with in the middle and I expect an even better year from him this year. He's entering his third year of play which is often when players come into their own. If he shows the same improvement from his second to third year as his first to second year then he is gonna be a good one.

100% agreement... this is what I was saying all through last season - especially as fans were getting on his case for not breaking some big gains... kindof tough to do when the D knows there's a 90% chance its going to him or Caldwell.

This is why a deep threat pays much bigger dividends than just shown by his individual receiving numbers - and is why, much to the protests of so many fans who were convinced no upgrades at WR were necessary - BB went out to fully restock the position with some proven quality depth.

the average NFL fan who loves the down the field passing game benifits a lot from the new WR.

With Stallworth drawing the top CB of opponents and sometimes double coverage, and Welker drawing the top coverage LB, Watson should be free to foam in the middle of the field. I expect Watson to take in 60+ catches this year.

With Stallworth drawing the top CB of opponents and sometimes double coverage, and Welker drawing the top coverage LB, Watson should be free to foam in the middle of the field. I expect Watson to take in 60+ catches this year.

He was well on track to catch that many last season too - but its the yards after the catch where you'll see the big difference with Watson.

I'm not expecting quantity - just quality.

Now if he can hold onto the ball.

I'm not expecting quantity - just quality.

Agreed.

With better WRs than last year plus a better pass catching option as the other TE (Thomas vs Graham), I actually think quantity is very likely to go down for Watson.

This is a great point. Assuming Brady can fill in well for the loss of Graham to let Watson do what he does best.

Not to mention Watson will have another year of maturing and he should really turn into the TE that we all expected when we drafted him with a 1st rounder. He is now a true vet, he now has a deep threat to take some pressure off him, he is the clear number one TE, oh yeah and he has the best QB throwing to him so he has no excuse not to put up pro bowl type numbers.

Stallworth is not only fast -- but is a proven deep threat in this league. That's a huge difference than having a developmental WR whom we hope can stretch a D. Opposing defenses having to gameplan for his presence is the reason why Watson will win his share of mismatches (which was the original intent from the beginning), and why the LOS will open some running lanes for Maroney. Add the rest of Brady's receiving options to the mix, and we can see why the Pats offense will be very difficult to defend. Of course, it all starts up front.

I can't wait to see Watson getting the ball in spots for him to make plays, rather than being a posession guy. We've seen what his raw skills can do (Jax game, anyone?), and I'm looking forward to seeing him use them more consistently.

The guy that owns the fantasy football magazines.:p

I could easily see 60+ catches and 600-800 yards for Watson next season in this new offense. Man it's going to be fun! I'm sure Brady is raring to go too.

Watch for Thomas to contribute as well. I'm thinking he'll chip in maybe 20-30 catches even as a #2 tight end. Brady spreads the ball to EVERYONE.

Last edited:
i agree Watson

brady is brady lol....yeah his stats took a hit this year...but he's still....tom brady....he took his team, passed the #1 team in the nfl last year in a comeback win, and all the way to the AFCC lost by 4....to the eventual sb champs....with "scrub" receivers....

I could easily see 60+ catches and 600-800 yards for Watson next season in this new offense. Man it's going to be fun! I'm sure Brady is raring to go too.

Watch for Thomas to contribute as well. I'm thinking he'll chip in maybe 20-30 catches even as a #2 tight end. Brady spreads the ball to EVERYONE.
Bingo...Thomas will make a ton of catches..NO surprise here...

This is, of course, if everyone stays injury free (Stallworth comes to mind).

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back